What's your story?
Apr 15, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #16 of 37
A few years ago I was looking for "big" headphones, didn't have any knowledge about circumaural and whatnot, and there was this pair of HD650's with the price tag of 25€(30$) back then these were considered(and still are today of course) among the best HP available, period, real price in was over 500€.

It was obviously a mistake, but I quietly took them to the cashier, poor clueless guy scaned them and 25€ later I had probably done the best deal of my life!

And every day since then I regret it, as those lead me here...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few years ago I was looking for "big" headphones, didn't have any knowledge about circumaural and whatnot, and there was this pair of HD650's with the price tag of 25€(30$) back then these were considered(and still are today of course) among the best HP available, period, real price in was over 500€.

It was obviously a mistake, but I quietly took them to the cashier, poor clueless guy scaned them and 25€ later I had probably done the best deal of my life!

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'll give you $50 for them. I'll even pay shipping.

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #18 of 37
Oh, man...now there's where good luck ($30) actually might have been bad luck (much more $$$)!

I knew I was going to love these stories and then not feel so bad. We all support each other...

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Good find
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #20 of 37
my journey began when I first listened to the sony ericsson w800 walkman phone, I loved the in-ear sound and was the first time I listened to good bass in a portable, so I kept buying mp3 players and earphones searching for the best sound then a friend told me the cowon d2 is one of the best sounding mp3 players and is very recommended here so I visited the site and I'm glad I did.
smily_headphones1.gif
I cant say I'm fully satisfied yet because I cant audition earphones and headphones and find out whats best for me, but I think i'm happy for now.
smily_headphones1.gif
sorry for my english.

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #22 of 37
My father had a good hi-fi system, two in fact! I managed to assemble my own from the bits he discarded, but he didn't like me turning up the volume very loud. Consequently, I persuaded him to buy me a pair of good headphones, MB Quart QP55Xs, which cost AUD$175 back in the early '90s, to replace a very crappy pair of closed Sonys. After using them for a good 15 years or so, the pads were finally too flat. I was looking at AD900s in the local stores here, but thought I'd check out Head-fi first. BAD mistake...

I can say though that I was into headphones (my father owned a pair of old Sennheiser HD-424s which I still have) a decade or more before Head-fi existed.
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #23 of 37
I started out with a skullcandy's, after about a month i realized that i want a lot more clarity and so i googled most suggested headphones, and in the several links i saw, it was headrooms top 10. I googled each headphone listed and not surprisingly to this community and me now, there was always something from head-fi. From then on i used head-fi as my reference for anything i needed until i finally acquired a could be improved but very satisfactory rig.

For the new guys, i didn't actually make an account until i was finally at the point where i feel my rig can last for quite some time until i decide to "upgrade." My point?Using the search bar far outreaches a "what should i buy thread." Respectively, it will save you more time, there's just more effort involved than rather sit there and wait for the answers to come to you.

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll give you $50 for them. I'll even pay shipping.

I sold them long ago for a regular used price to buy the 701's.

I remembered another one:

I found a pro audio store near my place selling new in box HD650's and HD600 for 150 and 120€. They were discontinuing sennheiser from their product line, so I bought 5 of each! Needless to say, I made a few buck with those! hehehehe!

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #27 of 37
I was always into headphones but never could find the excuse to get into them and then my boss gave me a video with the most horrible audio and I had fix it all up and figured I might as well get some headphones. I purchased a pair of Sony MDR-7506 and enjoyed them but felt dissatisfied and then it went all terribly wrong from there. Now here I am, hitting F5 on the For Sale section whenever I have free time
L3000.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #28 of 37
I need to find these stores MASantos :p

Anyway I don't quite remember but I think I was looking up reviews of budget earphones after my CX300 snagged on something and broke. I found this site from a google search or something, bought an ER6i and never looked back.

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #29 of 37
I replaced and ageing discman that was my friend for years with an mp3 player that came with crap earphones. (Sound Familiar?)
product-5160336.jpg

Since then (about 2004) I've gone through nearly 30 pairs of iem's of gradually increasing quality. I only discovered head-fi last year and have only bought one pair while a member so I consider I'm doing fairly well.

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #30 of 37
I am seeing a common theme: MP3 players with crap earphones driving people to improve them.

Marcus C, I've been breaking in RE0's (about 35 hours so far)...no amp and 2G Shuffle or 3gs. House music is so far the best sounding music on them. Emphasis really on higher end to me, what was your experience with RE0's if you have had them? I am really hoping that with a future amp and even more break-in that I will see more bass. Just wondering if you would rate RE0's as highly as others on Head-Fi?

UPDATE

The RE0's are starting to burn in nicely. 3gs through E5 and the bass with the Roots is filling out now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back