What's your most expensive piece of Audio equipment (headphones or speaker)?
Dec 24, 2010 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

dagothur

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been lurking on this forum here for a little while to expand my knowledge of audiophile equipment, and I noticed something, a 'trend' if you will:  A lot of you spend a lot of money for the systems you have.  After seeing David Mahler's review of his 20 best headphones, I went to his profile and added up the cost of all his headphones: ~13000.  Wow.  Of course a third of that comes from the RD-10s, but you catch my meaning.  So, of all your wonderful pieces of sonic bliss producing machines, what has burned the biggest hole in your pocket?

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 92
Come Christmas, the HF2 will be the most expensive headphone I have.

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 92
Not headphones, but my SOTA Star was a good deal but is still the most expensive piece of equipment I own.

Dec 25, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 92
A speaker pair, vintage JBL 4345s. They are now not even my favorite speaker; in any case, the Stax SR 007Mk2 gets a lot more time than either speaker.

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 92
My turntable setup. A J.A. Michell Orbe with a SME IV arm and a Fi Yph phonostage.

Retail is slightly north of $10,000.

I didn't pay that much, though. I bought used and upgraded a Gyrodec to an Orbe. It's been a couple of years, but I think I put a little over $5,000 into it.

I'll also have about $5,000 into my Linkwitz Orion3 speakers once I have the cabinets built in a few months. I already have the drivers, crossover parts and amplifiers for them.

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 92
Relatively new to hi-fi. Got into the research about a year ago, but it took me this long to actually start piecing together my system. My Monitor Audio Silver RX1's retail for $800 where I live. Managed to get some in store demo's for $500. Butt, when you take into account tax, the conversion rate to canadian, tax on the shipping and duty. Well, it was considerably more expensive. Still saved just over a hundred though, so I'm more than happy. Extremely proud as well, it took me a long time saving up and a considerable amount of patience to get to where I am now

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #9 of 92
Antarctica huh? I bet the postage fee would cost more than the equipment itself. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I've been lurking on this forum here for a little while to expand my knowledge of audiophile equipment, and I noticed something, a 'trend' if you will:  A lot of you spend a lot of money for the systems you have.  After seeing David Mahler's review of his 20 best headphones, I went to his profile and added up the cost of all his headphones: ~13000.  Wow.  Of course a third of that comes from the RD-10s, but you catch my meaning.  So, of all your wonderful pieces of sonic bliss producing machines, what has burned the biggest hole in your pocket?

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 92
When we were able to have friends, I was looking for far flung members and you would have been a prime member.

My HT speaker/sub setup. I'm considering liquidation to upgrade my hp rig as I am almost exclusively listening to music with them.  The HT rig has been relegated to a tv set and an occasional movie/concert. Sure as soon as I do, I'll regret getting rid of them so I procrastinate.

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 92
Mine is going going to be my LCD-2 once I get them early next week :D

I think I have spent like around $2000 on my gear....I have been an a "higher end audiophile" for a littler over a year now. As a college student, it takes time to piece a nice sounding system together. 

Dec 30, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 92
My Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk.3 Pre-Amp / Phono Amp.  Fully loaded with all upgrades retails for $19,000.  Thankfully buying used saves you a pretty penny :wink:  Also makes a hell of a balanced headphone amp.

The thing that amazes me the most about it the custom made remote controlled attenuated volume:

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 92
My turntable rig which comprises A Thorens TD-850 player, Thorens TEP-302 phonostage and Ortofon A90 cartridge. All in all about $12,000 AUD.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #14 of 92
BAT REX preamp
List for $20K, bought dealer demo, $14.5K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back