What's your most expensive piece of Audio equipment (headphones or speaker)?
Jan 9, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #31 of 92

Quote:
Quote:
i was shocked for a second there, didn't realize it was a competition to find the most insane looking speakers instead of the original intent of the post being which piece is your most expensive gear

haha, i dont think anyone in their right mind would buy a $500,000 speaker. you could buy your own orchestra for that much!

i have my doubts the housing/shape of the speaker actually helps the sound quality if not actually detracting from the quality...

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #32 of 92

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
i was shocked for a second there, didn't realize it was a competition to find the most insane looking speakers instead of the original intent of the post being which piece is your most expensive gear

haha, i dont think anyone in their right mind would buy a $500,000 speaker. you could buy your own orchestra for that much!

i have my doubts the housing/shape of the speaker actually helps the sound quality if not actually detracting from the quality...

The inside matters very much... so why wouldn't the overall shape?

Not saying that those dumb esoteric speakers shaped like animals out of a nightmare are actually worth cash though.

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #33 of 92

Quote:
So the MBL 101 X-treme is just 12 woofers?  lol 12 woofers for the price of a house! Don't go telling everybody how much you spent on that though, the burglars will come without a doubt!

1.5 tons...you expect your toyota hybrid to haul that around town?

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #34 of 92

Quote:

Actually, they've just been the speakers with the most insane price tags. They are actually pretty pedestrian looking. If you want to see some really insane speakers:

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #35 of 92

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, they've just been the speakers with the most insane price tags. They are actually pretty pedestrian looking. If you want to see some really insane speakers:

they did not just do that...looks like the stuck a speaker in a paint booth/hvac duct, vent duct or something like that

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #36 of 92
most insane looking speaker ive seen-

dont even want to know how much something like this costs

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #37 of 92
I think the most Ive ever shelled out is $1100AU for my decidedly humble Stax SR507s
And I got a broken Benz Micro PP1 preamp for 400 that got fixed by benz for 500, so all up that was 900, a good price for a new (meaning they just replaced the board with a new one) Benz Micro MC preamp. And my T1 cost about 800.

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #38 of 92
Cool question!

My biggest hit was for my Sequerra PA-1 preamp, which definitely moved the system forward.  My Wavelength Triton Sig 300B SET monoblocks were the next most spendy, at about 1/2 what I laid out for the preamp.   They've actually had the most dramatic impact of any gear I've ever changed in the system, but SET is a real paradigm shift... you're either going to like it, or not.  In terms of enjoyment of CDs, one of my least expensive purchases actually had a greater impact than the Sequerra.  An Audio Desk Systeme CD Lathe, at $695, made a huge difference in getting rid of hi frequency grit / glare. 

The longer I've done the audio thing (over 30 years, now... how the heck did that happen!?!), the more conviced I've become in the the relative lack of correlation of price and performance.  Just listen, and if it sounds good to you, it is good. 

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #39 of 92
A tesla coil capable of producing 'quality' sound is not that difficult to make.  You can do so for about a grand.
Quote:

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #40 of 92

Quote:
A tesla coil capable of producing 'quality' sound is not that difficult to make.  You can do so for about a grand.
Quote:

go onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #41 of 92
My most expensive purchase were my home theater speakers I got for around 3700 over 5 years ago.. Just recently purchased a new av receiver that retailed for 2699, newegg had it on sale for 1599. Cant wait to get that.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #42 of 92

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-A-Plasma-Speaker/step2/Schematics/

There you go.  You'll need a good soldering iron and some electronics knowledge, but all the info is right there.

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #43 of 92

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-A-Plasma-Speaker/step2/Schematics/

There you go.  You'll need a good soldering iron and some electronics knowledge, but all the info is right there.

bookmarked. Thank you sir!

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #45 of 92
ED 8/LCD-2/Ref-9 all similarly priced at around 1300$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back