What's your most expensive piece of Audio equipment (headphones or speaker)?
Feb 6, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #61 of 92
Audio Research LS-2B Preamp coming in at a cool $2500. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #62 of 92
Mine is my Denon D7000s.  Got 'em for $600.

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #64 of 92
Older Magneplanar (similar to the 1.6), around $3000... 20 years ago.

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #65 of 92
My most expensive pieces of audio equipment, actually I own two (1 solid state, and 1 tube version), are the McIntosh C1000C/P preamp and the McIntosh C1000C/T preamp at $20K each.  The last photo is the living room system in the dark.

Studio System

Living Room System

Living Room System - Lights Out

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #66 of 92
McIntosh is always dead sexy.

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #67 of 92

Quote:

leesure.......It puts a nice blue glow in a dark room, and makes it very easy to drift into a deep listening zone.  Sometimes I will turn off the meter lights on the preamp and the power amps.  McIntosh gear is wonderful any way you look at it.

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #68 of 92

Why so MANY of them?
Quote:
Quote:

leesure.......It puts a nice blue glow in a dark room, and makes it very easy to drift into a deep listening zone.  Sometimes I will turn off the meter lights on the preamp and the power amps.  McIntosh gear is wonderful any way you look at it.

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #69 of 92
My total system ran roughly $130,000.00USD.  Call me crazy but when your an addict then you are an addict.  I do know some other people who have memberships in other audio clubs who have spent double or triple.  The most expensive individual piece are the MC 1.2KWs by McIntosh.  They are roughly $11,000.00.  Some pieces could have and might have been bought used; But when this is done, you might sacrifice the warrantee.  I am currently done with my purchases for the next two or three years.  Then we will reevaluate the system and see what new pieces have come out.  I am very please with what I have purchased and I sit in my big chair everyday listening with total awe to what I have created.  Simple put, there is nothing in the world like McIntosh.  I don't own a car and I purchased this system over a five year people.  It was a dream that I was not sure I could fulfill.  Each purchase made me more confident that I was doing something that would be great at the end.  The process was like a magnet pulling me closer and closer to each purchase and then the tentative or final end.  I must admit that I am extremely lucky to live so close to a number of hi end dealerships.  Lyric Hifi was very helpful to me.  Thank you Bob Herman.  If you are in the Manhattan, NYC area, please IM me for a free audition. Scottsmrnyc 

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #70 of 92
It is coming to the point where the administrators at Headfi should allow you more space to list your audio equipment.  Three lines doesn't really cut it anymore for a lot of us.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #71 of 92
dagothur.......I am not sure I understand your question.  If you are asking why so many different components, I can only say that this is the total of a complete McIntosh system.  This sound system includes a C1000C/P two box preamplifier, a MS750 music server, a MCD500 CD/SACD player/DAC, a MR85 AM/FM tuner, A MEN220 Room Perfect system, two PS Audio Power Plant Premier AC regenerators, and two MC501 power amplifiers, plus a Micro Seiki DD-40 turntable with MA505 arm and Ortofon 2M Black phono cartridge, and a 20 LCD dis play for the music server.  The system also includes a Sonos ZP90, a pair of PMC EB1i speakers, and a JL Audio Fathom f113 subwoofer.  All interconnects are balanced Wireworld 6.0 Silver Eclipse, all power cords are two meter Wireworld Silver Electra, and speaker cable is Kimber 8TC.  The system components are installed in a Salamander Synergy Twin 40 rack.

Quote:
Why so MANY of them?
Quote:
Quote:

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #72 of 92

Quote:
My total system ran roughly $130,000.00USD.  Call me crazy but when your an addict then you are an addict.  I do know some other people who have memberships in other audio clubs who have spent double or triple.  The most expensive individual piece are the MC 1.2KWs by McIntosh.  They are roughly $11,000.00.  Some pieces could have and might have been bought used; But when this is done, you might sacrifice the warrantee.  I am currently done with my purchases for the next two or three years.  Then we will reevaluate the system and see what new pieces have come out.  I am very please with what I have purchased and I sit in my big chair everyday listening with total awe to what I have created.  Simple put, there is nothing in the world like McIntosh.  I don't own a car and I purchased this system over a five year people.  It was a dream that I was not sure I could fulfill.  Each purchase made me more confident that I was doing something that would be great at the end.  The process was like a magnet pulling me closer and closer to each purchase and then the tentative or final end.  I must admit that I am extremely lucky to live so close to a number of hi end dealerships.  Lyric Hifi was very helpful to me.  Thank you Bob Herman.  If you are in the Manhattan, NYC area, please IM me for a free audition. Scottsmrnyc 

Edit: Realized my question was answered already.

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #73 of 92
That doesn't explain to me WHY, it just tells me you have a dozen components.  What does a regenerator do?  Why do you need the music server?  What does the Room Perfect do?  How about the Sonos ZP90?

Quote:
dagothur.......I am not sure I understand your question.  If you are asking why so many different components, I can only say that this is the total of a complete McIntosh system.  This sound system includes a C1000C/P two box preamplifier, a MS750 music server, a MCD500 CD/SACD player/DAC, a MR85 AM/FM tuner, A MEN220 Room Perfect system, two PS Audio Power Plant Premier AC regenerators, and two MC501 power amplifiers, plus a Micro Seiki DD-40 turntable with MA505 arm and Ortofon 2M Black phono cartridge, and a 20 LCD dis play for the music server.  The system also includes a Sonos ZP90, a pair of PMC EB1i speakers, and a JL Audio Fathom f113 subwoofer.  All interconnects are balanced Wireworld 6.0 Silver Eclipse, all power cords are two meter Wireworld Silver Electra, and speaker cable is Kimber 8TC.  The system components are installed in a Salamander Synergy Twin 40 rack.

Quote:
Why so MANY of them?
Quote:
Quote:

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #74 of 92
dagothur.......The PS Audio Power Plant Premier AC regenerator takes the incoming voltage from the wall, converts it to DC, filters the line noise from the DC, then regenerates the DC back to perfect sine wave clean AC with a large reduction of total harmonic noise on the rear mounted, and zone controlled AC outlets.  In addition, the Power Plant Premier provides voltage regulation, and surge protection.  In my case, my incoming voltage is 124 to 125 volts AC.  The PPP reduces that voltage to a perfect and stable 120 volts AC.  My main system has two dedicated 20 amp circuits behind the equipment rack.  Each of the two dedicated circuits feed a separate Power Plant Premier.  One of the PPP's powers my two MC501 amplifiers, and the second PPP powers the preamp, server, tuner, MEN220 Room Perfect, the Micro Seiki turntable, and the Sonos ZP90.  The Power Plant Premiers provide me with stable, regulated, and clean AC power for my system components.

To answer your question, I don't need a music server.  I chose to have a music server as a source component in my system.  The MS750 has a 750GB hard drive, a built in transport for ripping CD's in FLAC format to the hard drive, as well as burning discs of music files if I choose that function.  The MS750 music server has an internal DAC, with analog outputs, as well as digital outputs.  I use a digital output from the MS750 to one of the digital inputs on my MCD500 SACD/CD player because the dual quad ESS 24bit Sabre Reference DACs in the CD player are superior to the DAC in the MS750.  Having a 750GB hard drive allows me to store in FLAC format approximately 2200 CD's.  I can search my music library on a wide screen monitor that sits on top of the equipment rack in several different ways including by cover art, artist, genre, and also control the server from any computer in the house through the network connection.  This includes wireless via my iPod Touch.  I like having immediate access to my entire music library without having to search for a particular CD that I may be looking for.  The server also allows Jukebox function, and play-list function for playback.  I like the fact that the server is designed as a traditional looking McIntosh component, and can be installed in my rack, integrating perfectly with the rest of my McIntosh system.

The McIntosh MEN220 is a room equalization system based on, and licensed from Germany's Lyngdorf Company, and incorporates the Lyngdorf Room Perfect system.  It's function is to develop in memory a 3 dimensional concept of a room's acoustics, and using digital filters and sophisticated software algorithms, creates an equalized audio output the is free of the rooms acoustic anomalies.  You start by taking calibrated microphone measurements from the first focus position where you normally sit.  The MEN220 generates multiple simultaneous high and low frequency tones independently from the right speaker, and then the left speaker and stores this in memory.  You continue with the measuring process with the microphone being moved to different areas of the room, each time measuring a new set of tones, until the MEN220 has achieved approximately 98% room knowledge, at which time you direct it to calculate the rooms digital filters.  Once the computer has completed this function you are good to go.  The MEN220 is wired between the preamp outputs and the amplifier's inputs, or can be installed in a processor loop.  Mine is installed between the amps and preamp.  When listening to music, the MEN220 can be set to Focus 1 position, Global, or Bypass.  What it does for my room and system is amazing.  My sound stage is far more three dimensional both left to right and front to back, the air or space around each instrument, and voice is more well defined and detailed.  This is accomplished without altering the signature sound of my speakers.  In addition to these functions, the MEN220 can also be used as an active two channel crossover, while using Room Perfect.  I use the electronic crossover function to drive my JL Audio Fathom f113 subwoofer.  There are a number of additional functions, and I would encourage you to research the MEN220 if interested.

The Sonos ZP90 is an Internet streaming device with a built in DAC.  Once connected to your computer network the ZP90 allows access to streaming audio from sites like Rhapsody, Pandora, LastFM and many others, as well as access to Internet radio.  The ZP90 can connect wireless with other zone players once set up, and allows music to be played through any sound system in the house that is connected to a zone player.  Once one zone player is connected to your network it can also access a connected server.  I use a second ZP90 zone player downstairs in my studio system.  This allows me to access all the music on my MS750 music server, as well as the Internet streaming capabilities.  Sonos zone player systems are controlled through WiFi connected handheld CR200 controllers, desktop software, and also through Sonos free software for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad using a WiFi connection to the home network.  I also have a Sonos ZP120, which is a zone player with a built in 55 watts per channel amplifier, that connects wireless to the network.  I use this zone player to power a pair of outdoor speakers, and control the volume and music selection using a Sonos CR200 controller while on my deck grilling, or enjoying company outside, etc.  Sonos allows each zone to operate independently or linked where all zones play the same source.  Used independently, I can listen to streaming Internet radio outside, play music from the netowrk connected server in the studio, and have Rhapsody streaming a music channel in the house, all at the same time, and all with independent volume, equalization, and source selection.  It is a very useful, well designed, and easy to set up wireless system that adds another unique source to my sound system.

I don't spend a great deal of time listening to the MR85 tuner except for one late night jazz program I enjoy that is broadcast from the University of Florida on a PBS station there.  I would keep the tuner in my system whether I listened to it or not because I have always had a tuner in every sound system I have owned for over 40 years.  For me, a sound system is not complete without a tuner as another source.

So there you have it,  I hope I have effectively answered your questions, and satisfied your curiosity about my main system.  I am most grateful to be able to enjoy such a wonderful sound system, and consider myself fortunate to be able to sharing my enthusiasm for audio with like minded people.

Quote:
That doesn't explain to me WHY, it just tells me you have a dozen components.  What does a regenerator do?  Why do you need the music server?  What does the Room Perfect do?  How about the Sonos ZP90?

Quote:

Quote:
Why so MANY of them?
Quote:
Quote:

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #75 of 92
Thanks, that's what I wanted.  I wanted to get a full explanation, which you certainly gave.  I realize now that I could have Googled the information for which I was searching, but your response was rather satisfying.
How would you say the power conditioning aids in the sound?  I could imagine that with macro sound (speakers and whatnot) you'd be sucking out a lot of power, and especially considering perfecting the Mcintosh set up.  I know some people will actually separate their sound system from the rest of the electricity in the house to try and weed out imperfections.  I would get a music server myself, but all my music is on my external hard drive (1 TB, 123 gB of which is music) and I'm the only one who uses my computer ever, as with the music streaming device.  I don't have an amazing speaker set up at all, so I wouldn't need the montior and wireless music server, but I can imagine needing it in your instance.
And that Room Perfect.  Dear God, that Room Perfect.  First of all, my set-up is just Denon D7000 to Nuforce Icon HDP, so I really couldn't use that to it's full wizard potential.  Your setup is truly hi-fi.  Second, dear God.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back