What's your most expensive piece of Audio equipment (headphones or speaker)?
Feb 10, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #76 of 92
dagothur.......The PS Audio Power Plant Premier A/C regenerators are capable of storing energy, and on demand delivering as much as 40 amps instantaneous peak current, so each PPP is quite capable of handling any gear powered by it.  Actually, I could power my entire rack, including both power amps with a single PPP, but I chose to power the amps on their own dedicated 20 amp circuit, and the preamp and source components on their own 20 amp dedicated circuit.  To make this happen required two Power Plant Premiers.

My first impression after installing the Power Plant Premiers was a darker, more black background.  Silence is total blackness.  From this silence music appears with wonderful detail, splendor and ease.  I can hear deeper into recordings.  As an example, sustained and decaying piano notes literally hang in the air until nothing is left but silence.  I can hear lips parting, soft breaths taken, even occasionaly can actually hear taps of feet keeping time.  The clean power produced by the PPP's also improved the space relationship between instruments, voices, bass, and drums.  Any hint of smearing vanished.  Feeding clean, perfectly regulated power at the proper voltage components are designed to operate on is the very best way to get all you paid for from audio equipment.  It all starts with the quality of the AC power.

There are many power conditioners on the market from well respected manufacturers, but there are not many manufacturers making AC regenerators.  I have used a few power conditioner products with my main system and the studio system, but none produced the sonic improvements like the Power Plant Premier.  I have several friends who also use the Pure Power 2000 AC regenerator, and are quite happy with that component.  Its largest difference from the Power Plant Premier is that it includes battery backup, so a temporary power glitch or short interruption in power does not shut down the audio system.  This is not a feature that I felt I needed, but still represents an advantage over the Power Plant Premier if that feature interests you.

Feb 10, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #77 of 92

I think from now on we should just turn all of your posts into Wikis.  So the PPPs is kind of like a power conditioner super amp?  I know I experienced that wonderful 'blackness' after getting my HDP.
Quote:
dagothur.......The PS Audio Power Plant Premier A/C regenerators are capable of storing energy, and on demand delivering as much as 40 amps instantaneous peak current, so each PPP is quite capable of handling any gear powered by it.  Actually, I could power my entire rack, including both power amps with a single PPP, but I chose to power the amps on their own dedicated 20 amp circuit, and the preamp and source components on their own 20 amp dedicated circuit.  To make this happen required two Power Plant Premiers.

My first impression after installing the Power Plant Premiers was a darker, more black background.  Silence is total blackness.  From this silence music appears with wonderful detail, splendor and ease.  I can hear deeper into recordings.  As an example, sustained and decaying piano notes literally hang in the air until nothing is left but silence.  I can hear lips parting, soft breaths taken, even occasionaly can actually hear taps of feet keeping time.  The clean power produced by the PPP's also improved the space relationship between instruments, voices, bass, and drums.  Any hint of smearing vanished.  Feeding clean, perfectly regulated power at the proper voltage components are designed to operate on is the very best way to get all you paid for from audio equipment.  It all starts with the quality of the AC power.

There are many power conditioners on the market from well respected manufacturers, but there are not many manufacturers making AC regenerators.  I have used a few power conditioner products with my main system and the studio system, but none produced the sonic improvements like the Power Plant Premier.  I have several friends who also use the Pure Power 2000 AC regenerator, and are quite happy with that component.  Its largest difference from the Power Plant Premier is that it includes battery backup, so a temporary power glitch or short interruption in power does not shut down the audio system.  This is not a feature that I felt I needed, but still represents an advantage over the Power Plant Premier if that feature interests you.

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #78 of 92
For home theater, my most expensive purchase was a couple of Pioneer gears: AX10i receiver & S969avi DVD player that I got in 2005 for $3,500 AUD. They're so outdated now, still look good though with their matching golden sheen.
As for heaphones, previously was the $700 Alessandro MS Pro. I've sold that one and currently waiting for the Grado Statement.
TTVJ is taking its sweet time sending it to me >_<

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #79 of 92
dagothur.......The PS Audio Power Plant Premier AC regenerator takes the incoming voltage from the wall, converts it to DC, filters the line noise from the DC, then regenerates the DC back to perfect sine wave clean AC with a large reduction of total harmonic noise on the rear mounted, and zone controlled AC outlets.  In addition, the Power Plant Premier provides voltage regulation, and surge protection.  In my case, my incoming voltage is 124 to 125 volts AC.  The PPP reduces that voltage to a perfect and stable 120 volts AC.  My main system has two dedicated 20 amp circuits behind the equipment rack.  Each of the two dedicated circuits feed a separate Power Plant Premier.  One of the PPP's powers my two MC501 amplifiers, and the second PPP powers the preamp, server, tuner, MEN220 Room Perfect, the Micro Seiki turntable, and the Sonos ZP90.  The Power Plant Premiers provide me with stable, regulated, and clean AC power for my system components.

To answer your question, I don't need a music server.  I chose to have a music server as a source component in my system.  The MS750 has a 750GB hard drive, a built in transport for ripping CD's in FLAC format to the hard drive, as well as burning discs of music files if I choose that function.  The MS750 music server has an internal DAC, with analog outputs, as well as digital outputs.  I use a digital output from the MS750 to one of the digital inputs on my MCD500 SACD/CD player because the dual quad ESS 24bit Sabre Reference DACs in the CD player are superior to the DAC in the MS750.  Having a 750GB hard drive allows me to store in FLAC format approximately 2200 CD's.  I can search my music library on a wide screen monitor that sits on top of the equipment rack in several different ways including by cover art, artist, genre, and also control the server from any computer in the house through the network connection.  This includes wireless via my iPod Touch.  I like having immediate access to my entire music library without having to search for a particular CD that I may be looking for.  The server also allows Jukebox function, and play-list function for playback.  I like the fact that the server is designed as a traditional looking McIntosh component, and can be installed in my rack, integrating perfectly with the rest of my McIntosh system.

The McIntosh MEN220 is a room equalization system based on, and licensed from Germany's Lyngdorf Company, and incorporates the Lyngdorf Room Perfect system.  It's function is to develop in memory a 3 dimensional concept of a room's acoustics, and using digital filters and sophisticated software algorithms, creates an equalized audio output the is free of the rooms acoustic anomalies.  You start by taking calibrated microphone measurements from the first focus position where you normally sit.  The MEN220 generates multiple simultaneous high and low frequency tones independently from the right speaker, and then the left speaker and stores this in memory.  You continue with the measuring process with the microphone being moved to different areas of the room, each time measuring a new set of tones, until the MEN220 has achieved approximately 98% room knowledge, at which time you direct it to calculate the rooms digital filters.  Once the computer has completed this function you are good to go.  The MEN220 is wired between the preamp outputs and the amplifier's inputs, or can be installed in a processor loop.  Mine is installed between the amps and preamp.  When listening to music, the MEN220 can be set to Focus 1 position, Global, or Bypass.  What it does for my room and system is amazing.  My sound stage is far more three dimensional both left to right and front to back, the air or space around each instrument, and voice is more well defined and detailed.  This is accomplished without altering the signature sound of my speakers.  In addition to these functions, the MEN220 can also be used as an active two channel crossover, while using Room Perfect.  I use the electronic crossover function to drive my JL Audio Fathom f113 subwoofer.  There are a number of additional functions, and I would encourage you to research the MEN220 if interested.

The Sonos ZP90 is an Internet streaming device with a built in DAC.  Once connected to your computer network the ZP90 allows access to streaming audio from sites like Rhapsody, Pandora, LastFM and many others, as well as access to Internet radio.  The ZP90 can connect wireless with other zone players once set up, and allows music to be played through any sound system in the house that is connected to a zone player.  Once one zone player is connected to your network it can also access a connected server.  I use a second ZP90 zone player downstairs in my studio system.  This allows me to access all the music on my MS750 music server, as well as the Internet streaming capabilities.  Sonos zone player systems are controlled through WiFi connected handheld CR200 controllers, desktop software, and also through Sonos free software for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad using a WiFi connection to the home network.  I also have a Sonos ZP120, which is a zone player with a built in 55 watts per channel amplifier, that connects wireless to the network.  I use this zone player to power a pair of outdoor speakers, and control the volume and music selection using a Sonos CR200 controller while on my deck grilling, or enjoying company outside, etc.  Sonos allows each zone to operate independently or linked where all zones play the same source.  Used independently, I can listen to streaming Internet radio outside, play music from the netowrk connected server in the studio, and have Rhapsody streaming a music channel in the house, all at the same time, and all with independent volume, equalization, and source selection.  It is a very useful, well designed, and easy to set up wireless system that adds another unique source to my sound system.

I don't spend a great deal of time listening to the MR85 tuner except for one late night jazz program I enjoy that is broadcast from the University of Florida on a PBS station there.  I would keep the tuner in my system whether I listened to it or not because I have always had a tuner in every sound system I have owned for over 40 years.  For me, a sound system is not complete without a tuner as another source.

So there you have it,  I hope I have effectively answered your questions, and satisfied your curiosity about my main system.  I am most grateful to be able to enjoy such a wonderful sound system, and consider myself fortunate to be able to sharing my enthusiasm for audio with like minded people.

Please tell me you don't listen to Brittainy Spears and Justin Beiber with that system. j/k. Nice write up and very informative to us noobs.

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #82 of 92

Most expensive for me, a pair of Sony PCM-7010F DAT recorders, with a Sony RM-D7200 dual remote/edit controller, about $17,100 back in 1995, somwhat like image shown  which shows PCM-7050, 7030, and 7010 with an RM-D7300, and RM-D7100.

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #84 of 92
Hey Now,

I would have to say it was 28 years ago for a pair of KEF 103.2 Reference speakers. I had to convince my new bride that it was positively worth it to purchase a very nice set of speakers so we could listen to the background music of our life together 8^). They have been used almost daily for the last 28 years. We bought them for a whooping $950.00, for young newlyweds starting out it was a lot of moolah back then. In today's dollars, 950 would maybe be around 2 grand-ish. They have served us well and I still love how they sound.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

p.s. they are well travelled as well - purchased in Raleigh,NC > Anchorage,AK > Las Vegas,NV > Port Angeles,WA > Las Vegas,NV > Manassas,VA > Indianapolis,IN > Louisville,KY > Greenville,IN and here they shall live forever 8^).

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #85 of 92
Has to be, My Clearaudio Ref. table, Graham 2.2 arm, Helicon,and Clearaudio Signature carts. Extra Graham ceramic arm wand. Hovland Music Groove phono cable. Clearaudio Power reg./speed control. Silent Running T.Table Isolation platform made for the Clearaudio Ref. also Shun-mook disc. Sota clamp, plus a VPI 16.5 RC.... List price, all the goodies, North of 29 grand, for this rig Less Phono Stage!......many yrs of turn tables, started with 59 buck Garrard with Shure Cart..  Lets see maybe 45 yrs ago...... now saving for a new Lyra "Titan i" cartridge........List over 5500.00 hope to find low hour one or get my friends when he up grades....  The best or funny thing is when non-audiophiles find out that my new (in 2008) decked out Truck was cheaper!   I'm not bragging but hey this has always and will be my passion/Hobby until I'm back to ashes..........I have no racing boats or cars and don't belong to any fancy Country Club, right! It's my Music!  

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #87 of 92

Quote:
jdandy, I'm in love with the drawing in your avatar.
Please help!

http://jootix.com/view/676/Headphone-headphone-girl--1920x1080.html

Not jdandy, but I've seen it before.

Most expensive piece in my system?  I guess my NADT163+ would be it it . . . though I didn't pay MSRP.  In fact, I paid $70 or so for it in non-working condition and plenty of superficial damage around the edges.  Three solder joints later and it's working like a champ.  MSRP wise I can say my audio gears is probably around $6-7K . . . I doubt I paid even half of that though.

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #88 of 92
Does the actual audio count as equipment? If so, then my cd collection easily outweighs any of my other audio components, can't listen without a nice catalogue of music.

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #89 of 92
Fail to grasp the point of this thread -- is op inferring people should allocate less of their limited resource to conspicuous consumption and more to retirement/investment/savings?

I think it's sad to realize you can't enjoy music as much without spending a sizable amount on equpments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back