What's your favourite rig right now?
Oct 7, 2006 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
Many of us have more than one rig. Right now I am just loving my Nano 8Gb + iGrados. I went running tonight for the first time in ages and this was the first time I had matched the new iGrados with my new Nano...WOW! I was totally into the music, the run went by so quickly. The iGrados sound so much better than the KSC 35's I usually use and are much more ergonomic than the SR60's. The Nano worked very well, with a leaner sound + the warmer sound of the Grados the match is/was and ideally will be perfect for what I need.

Right now, of all my combinations, it is my choice of rig to listen to. In fact, I'm listening right now! Check my profile to compare with what I could be listening to, sometimes the portable solutions are just as fun if not more so! than the big rigs.

So, what is your favourite rig at the moment?

Oct 7, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 53
For several months now, I've had a hard time breaking away from my speaker rig for much 'serious' headphone listening. But I'd say the K1000/Ear V20 has won me over. The AD2000's on my Angstrom two box amp has been another favorite of late. Of course, these are just "for now" types of favorites which I think is the flavor of your question. They're not my all time favorites.

But it's really hard to quit listening to these speakers!

Oct 7, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 53
the Maestrobated Tower of Power. just overwhelmed.

Oct 7, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
But it's really hard to quit listening to these speakers!

Heh, well your speakers are like world class 'n stuff so no wonder! But the K1000/Ear rig seems very interesting. This is one of the systems I dream of hearing before I retire from this hobby.

Oct 7, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
But the K1000/Ear rig seems very interesting. This is one of the systems I dream of hearing before I retire from this hobby.

The thing that really put it over the top for me was getting the hard wired Equinox cable with silver wire installed. This pushed an already amazing headphone/amp combo right over the top of the Hill of Unreal. Of course you're welcome to stop by to give it a listen any time...

Oct 7, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 53
During the day? My speaker rig.
In the evening? My primary headphone rig.

Details in sig.

I've actually been surprised at how well I can switch between the Onix Ref 1s and the W5000s without any real disparity or readjusting, like I had to with any of the other headphones I've owned before. I'm still continually impressed by them with almost everything I throw at them, I've yet to find anything that I don't like on either of them that isn't due to poor recording/mastering.

I'm listening to Sarah McLachlan on the custom Darkvoice + W5000s right now, and it's just absolute heaven.
3000smile.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #7 of 53
Right know its my Dell notebook and Echo DJ. The Dj seems like it was made for my im716's, and the Go-Vibe really opens up the soundstage and gives it more bass and the highs are to die for!

Oct 7, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 53
My current favorite rig is the VPI Aries 3 TT --> RSA XR10-B --> SinglePower Maxxed MPX3 --> HD650/Equinox or HF-1 with blessingx's comfies. I will be trying out the K701s here momentarily.

I am also enjoying the Aries in my speaker rig, currently with replacement speakers brought back to life from years in the garage. That rig is VPI Aries 3 TT --> RSA XR10-B --> TacT 2.2XP preamp --> McCormack DNA500 amp --> Klipsch Heresy 3-way speakers (late 70s vintage). The Klipsch speakers really sound amazingly good and now that I have my Gallo Ref. 3s back from replacing the blown tweeters I intend to try them side-by-side and compare. The Klipsch certainly handled themselves way better than I expected.

Oct 7, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #9 of 53
Portable rig.

Oct 7, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #10 of 53
Grado/Koss Rig:
Panasonic carousel DVD => entech 205.2 => Earmax =>
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
/ A250

Sennheiser / AKG Rig:
Panasonic carousel DVD => entech 205.2 => Millet => modded HD580 / K240s

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:14 AM Post #11 of 53

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
I am also enjoying the Aries in my speaker rig, currently with replacement speakers brought back to life from years in the garage. That rig is VPI Aries 3 TT --> RSA XR10-B --> TacT 2.2XP preamp --> McCormack DNA500 amp --> Klipsch Heresy 3-way speakers (late 70s vintage). The Klipsch speakers really sound amazingly good and now that I have my Gallo Ref. 3s back from replacing the blown tweeters I intend to try them side-by-side and compare. The Klipsch certainly handled themselves way better than I expected.

No big surprise to me. Your electronics have come a long way since the late 70's (to state the obvious considering all of that audiophile goodness in your current rig!) and Klipsch speakers always seem to scale well. I suspect you'll rediscover their weaknesses when you get the Gallo Ref. 3s back in place, but it's nice that they're holding the fort and were not a total letdown.

Oct 7, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #15 of 53
My portable electrostatic rig (iPod nano -> Stax SR-001 MKII)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back