Whats your Favorite encoder?
Jul 6, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #16 of 29
I rip from CDs to FLAC using ExactAudioCopy. I then convert those FLACs to V0 MP3s. I would use Rubyripper if I could get it working, but I am failing at that as of now. I wish I could get it to work, because I hate having to boot into windows.

e:@Warhawk, it's a bad idea to go from one lossy codec to another. Since different codecs cut out different parts of the music to compress the audio, transcoding from lossy to lossy will result in pain. However, if your ears can't detect it, go ahead and do it.

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #18 of 29
i use the media monkey encoder - set to 192vbr mp3 with no limit to max or min bitrate. also use version 0 (the slowest)

so whatever that is, is what this noob uses!

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmss939 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey i tried dling LAME..its not working or i can't it to work?

LAME is a command line application. Execute it in Terminal, Command Prompt, or ... (depending on your OS). Or use one f the many frontends out there.

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #20 of 29
I rip my CDs to FLAC using EAC for archiving, and encode them to LAME MP3 VBR V0 for on the go.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's appealing to me because it's virtually transparent and near universally supported by all kinds of players; meaning I'd most likely never have to re-encode (unless LAME gets updated to become drastically more efficient, for example; in which case I'd re-encode if I'm not too lazy) if I get a new player. And it's great for when I want to share them out to my mates.

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmer_42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
e:@Warhawk, it's a bad idea to go from one lossy codec to another. Since different codecs cut out different parts of the music to compress the audio, transcoding from lossy to lossy will result in pain. However, if your ears can't detect it, go ahead and do it.

That's not what I meant.

I mean I convert my cds/flac files to ogg instead of mp3.
I'm not stupid like I was a year ago and convert lossy files to other lossy files.
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not what I meant.

I mean I convert my cds/flac files to ogg instead of mp3.
I'm not stupid like I was a year ago and convert lossy files to other lossy files.
wink.gif

D'Oh! I see what you mean now.

In other news, I have to use MP3 on my ZV:M, because they don't have a fully working Rockbox for it yet. Once they do, though, I may just use FLAC all the time. Depends on my mood
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #23 of 29
i prefer aac but if not, mp3 is great. and lossy files too are encoded. an alac could not be played back by a decoder for flac and visa versa.

i used to exclusively use mpc but that hardware support is rather limited. i came here from hydrogen audio.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually encode my CD's to AIFF, is there a better way to do this than through iTunes?

"Better" is subjective. But if the CD's are badly scratched it might be worth giving Max a try.

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
max is very good indeed but i think it is only on osx and linux.

Mac OS X only.
But note that 'J.D.N' did not mention which OS he run. Only that he use AIFF, and refer to iTunes.

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by elmer_42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I rip from CDs to FLAC using ExactAudioCopy. I then convert those FLACs to V0 MP3s. I would use Rubyripper if I could get it working, but I am failing at that as of now. I wish I could get it to work, because I hate having to boot into windows.

If you are running Ubuntu, have you tried the package on GetDeb? (http://www.getdeb.net/) Used this for Hardy x64, with no issues - it will need to install a number of dependencies, but no errors for me.

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mstorie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EAC -> FLAC (lossless) or LAME (for the occasional MP3).

X2

Although aac is looking tempting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back