Whats your Favorite encoder?
Jul 6, 2008 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

timb5881

1000+ Head-Fier
So far I have been more drawn to the LAME mp3 encoder, but I have recently been experimenting with the OGG one as well.

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 29
I encode to Apple Lossless, using Core Audio though Max.
Love it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 29
A lossless format doesn't use an encoder.

I have been sticking with LAME, not much to improve there. State-of-the-art quality in a universal (MP3) format. No real reason to go anywhere else.

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 29
I use Direct Stream Digital Interchange File Format using AudioGate.

and

Apple Lossless

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lossless format doesn't use an encoder.

Well... I believe we use the term encoding/decoding for lossless codecs/formats, just as we use for lossy codecs/formats. And that the application used to create the files are called an encoder.
If not, then there are a lot of us out there who use the wrong wording.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 29
Yeah, sorry, I wasn't trying to correct you, just meant that the question (as I interpreted it) doesn't make much sense if you include lossless because lossless will always sound the same... and if there's no difference in SQ then there's no point in 'experimenting' as was mentioned in the OP, so I thought that he was referring to lossy encoders only. But maybe I misunderstood and the OP was asking what format do you use, not encoder.

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 29
ILikeMusic. I think his question are formulated the right and correct way.
As there for several codecs/formats are lots of different encoders to choose from.
* MP3 -> LAME, Fraunhofer, Xing, BladeEnc, ...
* AAC -> FAAC, Nero, Core Audio, ...
* FLAC -> FLAC, Flake
* ALAC -> Core Audio, dBpoweramp

There are differences between lossless encoders as well, even if the audio data will always be the same.

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 29
I use OGG Vorbis, primarily. I learned of aotv (from this forum, I believe). It should work a little better than the standard OGG Vorbis tools.

As for which codec is preferable (MP3 vs OGG Vorbis vs AAC for example), it's very subjective. I use OGG Vorbis only because all my devices support it, but YMMV.

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 29
I usually encode my CD's to AIFF, is there a better way to do this than through iTunes?

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmss939 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey i tried dling LAME..its not working or i can't it to work?

If you want a nice, easy to use interface, you'll need to use it in conjunction with something else, like EAC if you're ripping CDs. There's a list of compatible software here:
LAME - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back