What's your favorite Beer?
Jul 25, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #61 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
a very interesting beer I have tried years ago, was Saporo from Japan. Can't remember if it was any good, but it was definitely an interesting beer.

Japan beers often use too much rice for my tastes. They sure are good in the Summer though, when you need to drink a lot to keep hydrated.

Jul 25, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #62 of 148
USER NAME: just saw you're from chicago. Where do you go for your beer supplies? Binnies? Also any good places around to go drinking beer?
We (couple soccer fans) try to make it to Ginger's Ale House frequently for soccer and decent beer. Any reccomendations?

Jul 25, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #63 of 148
I'm actually in the NW burbs. My family did own a liquor store in Chicago near Chicago and Ashland called "Caseys". We has 650 imports and "microbrews" and 300 "domestics". We sold homebrew supplies as well. My uncle now rents out the building to "Sonoteque", probably the coolest club I've ever been to.

Binny's has the best selection here at the moment. I usually go to the brewery's and brewpubs and get growlers. There is also the liquor store at the corner that used to be called Gold Eagle, but changed it's name to Cardinal? I think. They have a great selection of micro's and Belgian for good prices.

Delilah's in Lincoln Park (a punk rock bar) with some 135 beers and 125 whiskeys.

Jul 25, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #65 of 148
Celebrator Dopplebock
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
Mackeson Triple Stout
Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout
Anchor Steam
Guinness (when I can get it on tap)

These are a handful of my favorites. I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting, but these have always been staples in my beer diet.

Jul 25, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #67 of 148
My current fave is Berkshire Brewing Co.'s Steel Rail Extra-Pale Ale. Preferably in a growler!
evil_smiley.gif

A close second is Old Speckled Hen- Hen's Tooth.

Jul 25, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #70 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by USER NAME:
That is the exact reason. What a shame, to deprive the US of the most wonderful Czech pilsner ever bottled because of GREED.

I don't know about USA, but here in Canada the original Budweiser (Budvar) is sold under the name Czechvar as I wrote before.

Jul 25, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #71 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasher
I don't know about USA, but here in Canada the original Budweiser (Budvar) is sold under the name Czechvar as I wrote before.

Yes, I saw that. I replied in post #50. I don't understand why this beer hasn't become more popular.

Jul 25, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #72 of 148
USER NAME:, maybe you should give Grimbergen a try.
It seems we have the same taste when it comes to beer
icon10.gif

I fullly recommend The Grimbergen Optimo Bruno, altho the Dubbel and Tripel are quite nice as well. (drank a dubbel right now)

Jul 25, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #73 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by noir
USER NAME:, maybe you should give Grimbergen a try.
It seems we have the same taste when it comes to beer
icon10.gif

I fullly recommend The Grimbergen Optimo Bruno, altho the Dubbel and Tripel are quite nice as well. (drank a dubbel right now)

I think I've had that before. I'll look for Grimbergen Optimo Bruno next time I'm at the store. It does sound familliar.

Jul 25, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #75 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by USER NAME:
Yes, I saw that. I replied in post #50. I don't understand why this beer hasn't become more popular.

I think I can (from my limited knowledge of this fine beer) answer your question.

The original Budweiser was brewed in Europe (Czech) long before the famous American brand started up. I think the legend goes (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that an ex-Czech immigrant arriving in the US started the Budweiser brand calling it his own and ignoring the European patent. I think when it was started there was no thought that it Budweiser would become the worldwide colossus it is now.

But with the change in Eastern Europe the original (Patented) Budweiser (Budvar) gained popularity - especially in the UK where it is considered a premium beer. The American Budweiser came to loggerheads with the European Budweiser (Budvar) over the use of it's name.

It's funny in London. Depending on which bar (pub) you're in you either see the American or Czech version on display.

I'm sure it's a major pain in the butt for US Budweiser to compete this way so on home soil it's would be using all it's collective might to shut out this excellent (original) beer.

It’s an interesting example of a company not practicing what it preaches (hope this isn’t too political).

ZT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back