What's your favorite Beer?
Jul 24, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #46 of 148
I've been drinking Red Stripe recently. Not exactly great beer, but I like the bottles.
icon10.gif

Jul 24, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #47 of 148
I guess, my favourite is Tegernseer Spezial by the Herzöglich Bayerisches Brauhaus Tegernsee (HTB) (label pic and review in German over there: http://www.1000getraenke.de/test_tegernseer_spezial.htm) - I get that at a small beverages shop just around the corner from my place im Munich. Once tried it, 'cause I get headaches from Augustiner Edelstoff (http://www.1000getraenke.de/test_aug..._edelstoff.htm) anyway, and I got bored a bit by the normal Augustiner (Lagerbier Hell - http://www.1000getraenke.de/test_aug...ager_hell.htm), though that's quite a nice beer, too. For Weißbier, I'd really recommend to try Weihenstephaner: http://www.1000getraenke.de/test_wei...haner_hefe.htm

The local stuff in Hannover seems a bit boring to me, though the Lindener Spezial by Gilde tastes quite alright.

Other ones I like: Grolsch (especially the Boks!
biggrin.gif
), Kilkenny, Singha, several of the Gordon Biersch beers are quite nice, ... whatever, just give me a beer!
wink.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 24, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #48 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by USER NAME:
Or an Anchor Steam!

Old Stock Ale? Is that an Old ale or Barleywine style? I don't think I've had it.

It's actually an ale, but it's hands-down the most complex i've had. If you can find a case or two, you won't regret it. And as they suggest, let it age a year or so.

cheers!

Jul 24, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #49 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
Excellent choice. BTW the offical brand name stands "Pilsner Urquell" as this was the first ever made golden lager. "Pilsener" refers to the beer style/character. With this it should be written as Pilsner Urquell Pilsener.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Try Budveiser Budvar if you can find it. It's banned in the US!

Jul 24, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #50 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasher
Budweiser (the original one AKA Czechvar in North America)

This is the best pilsner I've had. I had a few sent to me in the Budvar bottles. I didn't realize that they re-branded it as Czechvar. Thanks for the info!

Jul 25, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #52 of 148
My favorite 10

Rochefort 10

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

Bells Two Hearted Ale

Duvel

Stone Smoked Porter

Sam Adams Cream Stout

Corsendonk Christmas Ale

St Bernardus abt 12

Stone Imperial Russian Stout

Great Lakes Elliot Ness

Im loving the Belgians and Porters and Stouts, The IPA,s are taking a little more time
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #54 of 148
Since I moved here from Austria/Germany 5 years ago, I have been looking for a decent domestic beer that can keep up with some of the german/austrian/swiss brews. I gotta say I recently got to like Sam Adams a whole lot - a very nice light beer with a good sense of taste and spices. Am not too appalled by it.

Haven't found anything that comes close to an original Budweiser from Budvar (Czech Republic). That is a truly fantastic beer and in Vienna we used to get a train in daily, that delivered fresh beer from Budvar and then would be distributed in Austria. It was a taste orgasm when it was fresh and cooled to the perfect temperature.
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #55 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by USER NAME:
Try Budveiser Budvar if you can find it. It's banned in the US!

why would they ban such a beer here? I know Budweiser in the US bought the name and conitnually tried to shut down the brewery in Budvar and never succeeded. Is that why they banned it here, becuase of Budweiser US?
confused.gif

Jul 25, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #56 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by SportaJoe
My favorite 10

Rochefort 10

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

Bells Two Hearted Ale

Duvel

Stone Smoked Porter

Sam Adams Cream Stout

Corsendonk Christmas Ale

St Bernardus abt 12

Stone Imperial Russian Stout

Great Lakes Elliot Ness

Im loving the Belgians and Porters and Stouts, The IPA,s are taking a little more time
tongue.gif

Nice list!!

Find an Alpha King from Three floyd's Brewing Co. in Indiana. It's my favorite bottled IPA by far. Other honorable mentions are Hop Devil and The Bitter End.

Jul 25, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #57 of 148
i could rank these, were i forced to, but in haste and for brevity i'll just throw them out

hefeweizen: hacker-pschorr, koenig ludwig, julius echter, paulaner
(wheat beer is my bread and butter)

others: bell's best brown ale, dogfish head brown ale (soooooooo good), live oak fireman's #4, tilborg dutch brown ale, real ale brewhouse brown, weihanstephaner original lager, saint arnolds summer pils...

i love mostly the german stuff, and for some reason my tastes don't agree with most belgian beers or styles

Jul 25, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #58 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
why would they ban such a beer here? I know Budweiser in the US bought the name and conitnually tried to shut down the brewery in Budvar and never succeeded. Is that why they banned it here, becuase of Budweiser US?
confused.gif

That is the exact reason. What a shame, to deprive the US of the most wonderful Czech pilsner ever bottled because of GREED.

Jul 25, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #60 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20
i could rank these, were i forced to, but in haste and for brevity i'll just throw them out

hefeweizen: hacker-pschorr, koenig ludwig, julius echter, paulaner
(wheat beer is my bread and butter)

others: bell's best brown ale, dogfish head brown ale (soooooooo good), live oak fireman's #4, tilborg dutch brown ale, real ale brewhouse brown, weihanstephaner original lager, saint arnolds summer pils...

i love mostly the german stuff, and for some reason my tastes don't agree with most belgian beers or styles

This is a nice list as well. I, on the otherhand prefer the Begium beers over German Wheat beers, but have an appreciation for all beer styles and brewing techniques. For example, the belgium Lambic, a beer that is open fermented with airbourne yeasts only found in a seven mile radius somewhere in Belgium. Part way through the fermentation fruit is sometimes added, producing a beer that was actually voted "best wine".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back