What's your choice for closed ear cans with iPod / iPhone?
Nov 3, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #16 of 29
Koss Pro DJ100

Nov 3, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #18 of 29
I thought the Fostex might be a bit current-hungry. I guess I should walk over to my box-o'-phones and try it out!

My low-impedance closed can wishlist has included:
Pro 900
SRH840 & 940
D2000 and up
ZX700
DJ100
GMP stuff, mainly out of curiosity for their very high praise

My MDR-7506 has given me many years of iPod-lovin service. I don't know where it would stand if it had to compete for my attention on a mobile basis.

Nov 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #19 of 29

Quote:
I thought the Fostex might be a bit current-hungry. I guess I should walk over to my box-o'-phones and try it out!

That recommendation was a bit tongue in cheek, but Smeggy does says he uses his with his iPod, at near full volume.  I have one on order and I didn't try the one I tried with the loaner program with my iPod, so I don't have direct experience.

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #20 of 29

Quote:
Pro 900
SRH840 & 940
D2000 and up
ZX700
DJ100
My MDR-7506 has given me many years of iPod-lovin service. I don't know where it would stand if it had to compete for my attention on a mobile basis.

I already have the SRH940 & Denon AHD5000 but would like more conveniance and maybe better sonics while I'm at it. 

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #21 of 29

Quote:
Pro 900
SRH840 & 940
D2000 and up
ZX700
DJ100

GMP stuff is extremely unnoticed around here, but you won't find a GMP owner here who doesn't appreciate them.

That being said, I don't think they are ideal portables... they are power hungry, even the low impedance versions.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #23 of 29

Quote:
I already have the SRH940 & Denon AHD5000 but would like more conveniance and maybe better sonics while I'm at it. 

So I think you've already got among the best <$500 closed cans that can be played out an ipod..  Tho D5000 leak sound so badly that the low signal to noise will put you in Beats & ibud low-fi territory if you ever wear them outside.  And they and the Shures are so big and unwieldy I'd never wear them outside.  If you want convenience, comfort, isolation, to not look like an astronaut and even wear winter hats I'm with scompton and would also go with IEMS.  I wear SE530 outside for these reasons would never consider wearing my ED8 or SRH840 outside .

Quote:
Actually, I think the best winter walking cans are IEMs that you can where under a hat.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #24 of 29
There are plenty of headphones you can wear over a cap in the winter, too. I wear my beanies and XB700 often when it's cold. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucariote /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I think you've already got among the best <$500 closed cans that can be played out an ipod..  Tho D5000 leak sound so badly that the low signal to noise will put you in Beats & ibud low-fi territory if you ever wear them outside.  And they and the Shures are so big and unwieldy I'd never wear them outside.  If you want convenience, comfort, isolation, to not look like an astronaut and even wear winter hats I'm with scompton and would also go with IEMS.  I wear SE530 outside for these reasons would never consider wearing my ED8 or SRH840 outside .

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #25 of 29
Good calls although I seldom wear a hat as long as my ears are warm and its O dark thirty when I'm walking. The money was not an issue, just good sound, comfort & convience.

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #27 of 29
IEMS are always best imo for ipod/iphones since i only use those when i'm on the go

i used to use bose on-ear (mediocre sound quality but for playing mp3s on an  ipod it doesn't matter.

now i use either my UE 700s or my monster turbine pro golds.

personally its just better to use IEMS instead of closed headphones with ipods.

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #29 of 29

Quote:

In that case, easy - Edition 8.  They have amazing sound for a closed headphone, have great isolation, sound great with low amp sources (e.g. ipod) and they're relatively light and compact. 

Too bad there is no controller built in for iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back