What's your bandwidth?
Mar 31, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #31 of 180
And you guys thought your numbers were shabby...

internet_speed.JPG

Mar 31, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #34 of 180
in real world results my download speed tops off around 2mbps. i'm not complaining, comcast cable only promised 3mb dl so so far we've been lucky with bandwidth sharing.

Mar 31, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #35 of 180
someone on a dial up connection needs to post their time so i can feel better about myself
tongue.gif

BTW-Pet b*tch.

I have 12 browser windows open right now and am surfing 12 different sites at the same time and Head-fi is the laggiest most pain in the a*s in page transition speed of any site I visit.For instance I clicked this thread,went elsewhere,came back and nothing happened,left came back,the page is there,clicked respond,waiting.....wating.......waiting......:rol leyes:

leave come back,finally the post field is here,I am posting this and will leave again rather than stare at a motionaless screen like a fkn idiot for thirty seconds while it does nothing and at least 1/2 the time i get the "white screen" have to hit "back' and resend my post which hopefully is still threre.Sorry to go OT but this crap is getting on my nerves big time lately,mainly because it happens NO WHERE else I frequent

***just edited and IT was lightening fast but the initial post was not !

What ?

Mar 31, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #36 of 180
Well, using a three-year old wireless router that your neighbours can use to steal internet from you as well as your sister's laptop stealing the connection and sharing the internet with ANOTHER computer...

It is not too shabby.

Not to mention that it gets cut off all the time.

bandwidth.jpg

Mar 31, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #37 of 180
there are a lot of factors hurting performance, rick. i know because i used to set up performance tests on ms servers and had to isolate all the factors first, which is next to impossible.

typically speed fluctuations in my experience are caused by a bottleneck at the remote server. a famous example is the slash-dot effect.

Mar 31, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #38 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
there are a lot of factors hurting performance, rick. i know because i used to set up performance tests on ms servers and had to isolate all the factors first, which is next to impossible.

typically speed fluctuations in my experience are caused by a bottleneck at the remote server. a famous example is the slash-dot effect.

I gotta tell you man it drives me nuts !

I am one of those types who if a line is too long will just walk away no matter WHAT the line is for rather than stand there like a sheep with a blank "no big,had nothing better to do anyway" expresssion.When I "click" a virtual switch I NEED it to do something other than piss me off and when nothing happens that is the effect.More often than not I just bounce from Head-fi totally rather than let it piss me off and if it is still laggy when I return "see ya" again.Other times it WHIPS but those are rare for me lately

.......and looking at my speed compared to others maybe I should just "shut up rick"
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #39 of 180
missed this before

Quote:

Well, using a three-year old wireless router that your neighbours can use to steal internet from you as well as your sister's laptop stealing the connection and sharing the internet with ANOTHER computer...

I never considered someone may be hacking into my wireless network and stealing bandwidth.Maybe its time to pound the snot out of the neighbors ?
very_evil_smiley.gif

**editing for my typical 500+ spelling errors ***

Mar 31, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #41 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
missed this before

i never considered someone may be hacking into my wireless netork and straling bandwidth.maybe its time to pound the snot out of the neighbors ?
very_evil_smiley.gif

rick, read this page:
http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/...WiFiHacks.html
there are also hacker tricks to broadcast a bunch of fake wireless network names to frustrate bandwidth thieves.

Mar 31, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #42 of 180
hmm... i have quite a few things open in the background... but the speed i get isnt impressive at all...

says 2297/232, when I'm off a 24/1 connection... its way off... iinet adsl2+ i usually upload up to about 90 - 120kbps max...

Mar 31, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #43 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
rick, read this page:
http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/...WiFiHacks.html
there are also hacker tricks to broadcast a bunch of fake wireless network names to frustrate bandwidth thieves.

Wonderful.Now I need to be paranoid on top of everything else going on in my life
very_evil_smiley.gif

Is it just me or was everything so much simpler just five years ago ?
everytime we get something we seem to GIVE something which in the end is a wash.Spending more and more loot to break even seems way into cart before horse territory
tongue.gif

(thanks for the link BTW-reading it now in the "other" open browser window,the "fast" one
wink.gif
)

Mar 31, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #45 of 180
very_evil_smiley.gif
did the test again and I guess the neighbors are still up 'cause I am getting the same download speed but a faster upload.If I can wait them out and stay up all night maybe i can get a true respresentation.........if my son would take his a*s to bed and get offline too (wireless to five stations
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back