What's wrong with Naim..?
Feb 18, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #46 of 84
All of that Naim gear and the guy is still using an Oppo DV-970HD (third shelf on the right).
biggrin.gif

I'm a proud owner of a piece of Naim gear... The Naim/Wiremold power strip that they recommend.
tongue.gif

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #48 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of that Naim gear and the guy is still using an Oppo DV-970HD (third shelf on the right).
biggrin.gif

He obviously doesn't take the whole transport business seriously.
wink.gif
I suspect he's running a digital to the 24/96 capable AV2 processor so all is well.

Feb 18, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #50 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snejk,

Have you tried a HiCap with your NAHA?

No I haven't tried my Hicap with the Headline. Until recently it did duty with my cd5x but I needed the shelf space and now I don't use it... it's a -91 olive version that I guess is in need of a recap. Also I would need a slic cable that retail something like €130-140 here. Maybe I could get a flashback cable to try it?

If I'm not mistaken you have tried a lot of different PSUs with the Headline? What should I expect if I connected the Hicap instead of the Napsc?
Edit: I'm mainly using Grado RS1 and since a week also the GS1000.

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #51 of 84
You can use the same SLIC that came with your NAHA with HiCap or even a SuperCap.

You're using a SLIC to connect the NAHA to the NAPSC, correct?

I htought that the RS1 really benefited from the HiCap.
It gave better control in the bass area as well as more substance up top. It's just more spacious and natural sounding, too.

Oddly, upgrading to the SuperCap with the RS1, I thought, was marginal. The timing gets better of course but that added expense did not warrant the performance upgrade you expect.

Swap the fones to the Audio Technica W5k, OTOH, it *really* needs the SC. I mean, it doesn't sound bad per se, but it's a bit sleepy without it.
I could hear the goodness of the SC much better than the RS1.

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #52 of 84
Thanks for the tips on power supplies kuma. I don't think I will ever get a supercap for the headline unless I find one on the street or so
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't get over the mental barrier of getting a power supply that is ten times the cost of the amp I think... But a hicap is ok. Maybe it might tighten the somewhat overblown bass on the GS1000?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can use the same SLIC that came with your NAHA with HiCap or even a SuperCap.

You're using a SLIC to connect the NAHA to the NAPSC, correct?

The napsc (or just mine?) has a cable that is direct-attached to the napsc with a 2-pin connector at the Headline end so I can't use that one. So I have to get a cable.

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #53 of 84
OH!

You're right. I forgot SLIC on the NAPSC is captive.

Quote:

Maybe it might tighten the somewhat overblown bass on the GS1000?

A HC will tighten up the bass of the Grado. But if the fones are new, they might need some run in.

Caution, tho. If you take off a HC off your 5x, you'll lose some bass out of the player. So, putting it with the NAHA might be a *wash* if you only have one PSU. You could try both ways.

Controlling the bass of Grado is always an issue ( and keeping the treble civility ) and I still prefer using a Krell source over Naim digital, altho, I haven't tried the pair with a CD555 with the RS1.

Feb 18, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #54 of 84
Heh, a CD555/NAHA/SC would be nice I guess. A tiny bit extreme perhaps
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have the HC on the CD5x now anyway so I might just as well try it with the NAHA. I just have to get the SLIC cable, either Naim or Flashback. Might be worth a try.

I have a cheap (in comparison to the cd5x) turntable and it seem to gel better with the GS1000. So maybe the naim cdp isn't the perfect match for it as you say.

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #55 of 84
I haven't dealt with the Flashback but if you can swing it, I'd go with a Naim lead.

Quote:

I have a cheap (in comparison to the cd5x) turntable and it seem to gel better with the GS1000. So maybe the naim cdp isn't the perfect match for it as you say.

Analogue Rulz OK!
biggrin.gif

An acceptable bass reproduction is costly with a Naim digital.
I wasn't completely convinced in the bass dynamics till the CD555. ( via speakers, however )

Would you go analogue?

Feb 18, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #56 of 84
Most of my music is on cd so I won't leave digital completely. And I'm not totally satisfied with vinyl noise either, with the static and pops from poor records. I really like my speaker rig right now so the cdp and the rest of the naim gear is doing it's job well! And we're almost back on topic!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #58 of 84
Naim gear not only has great PRAT but delivers a certain sense of natural presence that Ive not found with most other high end amps and prepamps. It's this live onstage feeling that most appeals to me. I think it has to do with a certain sense of space between notes and solidity to individual sounds.

A Naim amp can be just as warm and liquid as a good tube amp, but extemely detailed and uncolored as well. I love the naim sound, it's quite additive. There are great buys on used Naim amps and premaps that sound as good as their newer lines.

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #59 of 84
Tev,

I also find the Naim sound addictive. I don't know what it is but there's so much emotion in vocals and percussions/ rhythms are fantastic.

When I was younger I attended many hi-fi exhibitions with demo's of Krell, Mark Levinson, Linn, Arcam, Rega, Kef, B & W etc.

The American stuff sounded impressive and powerful but it had a colder more hi-fi sound. Whereas Naim had an almost tube like warm quality but still detailed.

Some of the most magical music listening experiences I've ever had have been at demo's with Naim gear. Maybe I'm addicted to their sound.

I've owned a full Naim set up for 10 years (CDS1, 102+naps+Hi-cap, 180, SBL's) and with most music I'm still really happy and have no need to upgrade.

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #60 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by sheffsteel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned a full Naim set up for 10 years (CDS1, 102+naps+Hi-cap, 180, SBL's) and with most music I'm still really happy and have no need to upgrade.

That's a wonderful system you've got there.

You just have to add a Sondek to make it complete.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back