What's wrong with Naim..?
Mar 9, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #76 of 84
at the time. I was bi amping the sbls with the naxo,hicap & 2-250s ,I owned the 82 pre amp.I also borrowed a 52. & it came down to either owning the 52 or going bi-amped,I felt that the 52 was a better move for me & went back to the single 250.(still have the second 250 sitting around unused). Auditioned the Harbeths over a year ago ,picked up a pair of second gen compact 7s & really liked them,listened to the 3rd gen compact 7s @ the local harbeth dealer(david michael audio) & the difference in sound quality was worth upgrading to the 3rd gen...................all was well ,untill I had the opportunity the bring home the 5's for a weekend,a lot of money for the speaker ,BUT well worth it (sold a full carbon kestrel bicycle to help finance the up grade) NOTE: I am officially done making changes in my home system.As far as portable audio....different story. On a second note: I purchased my SBLs many, many years back @ absolute sound ( JUDE,our moderator used to work there back in the day,lost track of him over the years ,only to run back into him @ a head-fi meet at the harbeth dealers place) SMALL world.

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #78 of 84
I'm using the Naim CD5X in my speaker set-up with Harbeth.... fantastic stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Tried matching my Mapletree HD with the CD5i, CD5X and CA840C. Headphones used were RS-1 and K701.

If I'm to choose a player based on it's musicality, I'd say the CD5i. Exciting and engaging.

The 5x was so good that it helped my K701 rock! But with the RS1, it was too forward and hence almost unbearable for me.

The 840C is a tad lean and cold compared to the Naim... but charming in its own way.

Anyway, the I don't think it's terribly difficult to reterminate DIN i/cs to RCAs.. I sent a pair to one of my local audio shops and they did a pretty good job
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #79 of 84
My Grados are loaned out to a friend of mine who recently bought a CDX2.
He's got a NAHA/NAPSC and having a great time buying a ton of new music ever since. ( that's what's all about, isn't it? )
wink.gif

I'm being hopeful maybe they'll come up with a *Super*NAHA a la SuperLine ( powered directly off a SuperCap via Burndy )one of these days.
biggrin.gif

supernaha.jpg

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #80 of 84
Have the Nait 5with B&W CM5's and, IMO, there is special synergy in this pairing. Haven't heard anything more engaging and fun to listen to in this price range. If anyone has suggestions for Naim pairings, please share. 

Focal 807's were my second choice for speakers -- those are some romantic, lovely speakers. If only they weren't so odd looking :) 

Jan 13, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #81 of 84
Hi all,

I think about to buy a Naim CD 5i in good condition (from 2010). I owned at this time nothing from Naim.
This CD5i has only two ch - connection sockets (ch1/ch2).
I only hear with headphones music, with headphone amp. I have no normal amp, etc..
Could I connect my headphone amp (Stax 007II with L500) to the ch1/ch2 sockets? And it will be working?

Jan 13, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #82 of 84
Hi all,

I think about to buy a Naim CD 5i in good condition (from 2010). I owned at this time nothing from Naim.
This CD5i has only two ch - connection sockets (ch1/ch2).
I only hear with headphones music, with headphone amp. I have no normal amp, etc..
Could I connect my headphone amp (Stax 007II with L500) to the ch1/ch2 sockets? And it will be working?

Yes, you'll just need a cable that has the socket at one end and two rcas at the other.

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #83 of 84
Monolaf,
IF I'm correct, your Naim CD 5i has two outputs.
one DIN - 5-pin and the usual two RCA /Cinch sockets
(You may have to select them via remote control ?)

STAX inputs are either XLR or cinch. Since the NAIM is not balanced, a "normal" good cinch interconnect should work fine.

HOWEVER: there are some users who seem to claim, a DIN to XLR cable may sound better - well: just another play field.....
:wink:

Regards
Urs

Jan 26, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #84 of 84
I was never impressed by Naim dedicated headphone amp (even with Supercap), but anything else — sources, amps, speakers are amazing. I don't know such universal and involving system for such price. Active systems is unforgetable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back