Whats Wrong With My DT770s?
Jun 21, 2007 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Pm@c

500+ Head-Fier
This is confusing me. Some songs (like the whole album Icky Thump, I just got it a couple days ago) sound really horrible. Like the song Icky Thump, the bass is crackling big time. Then I downloaded the War Pigs remake by Cake and (Icky Thump is in FLAC, the War Pigs is 256) the War Pigs song sounds so much clearer and no crackling of the bass. I dont understand why some of my music sounds good and other parts of it make my headphones sound like they are broken. It used to be that all music sounded good on my headphones, sounds like they are getting worse, except only specific music. Ive tried pulling every little hair out that I can.

Some games even make my headphones crackle a little on the heavy bass, but other games sound perfectly normal. I really dont know whats wrong, if its my encoding/ripping software (EAC with FLAC compression) or if my headphones are dieing?

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #4 of 20
By looking at your profile, it appears that you don't have an amp? The DT770s need an amp to sound their best and it sounds to me like your current setup is clipping. You don't have to spend a fortune on one to get good sound with your DT770s.

Happy Listening!

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #5 of 20
i tried icky thump mp3 320kb using the dt770 and ive heard a similar cracking too..i never heard this before..maybe its just the song and meant that way.. im using an XP amp btw

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 20
dunno what icky thump is but I have a lot of tracks that are recorded off vinyl and they crackle a bit. Some artists add it as an effect. It sounds kind of warm.

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #8 of 20
Havent updated my sig in a while. First off im running an XFI modded, so I wouldnt need an amp, it drives it just fine. Secondly I actually do have an amp, a GoVibe 5 with a 24v power supply.

Its not the headphones problem, I threw in The Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream last night and even with a bunch of scratches on the CD it sounded 100x better than Icky Thump with no noticable crackles.

Im going to agree with goldenratiophi, I think its just the CD mastering sucks.

It just irks me that this CD is ruined because of that. It is a very noticable distortion, and it drives me crazy when listening to any song. It ruins the whole CD for me.

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 20
hi,is it like a fluttering at a certain low frequency?

If it is, I had the same problem with mine and after doing a search, a couple of others have suffered with it too.

I sent mine back for repair, they came back alright for a while but it started again.After that time my warranty ran out.

I will not be buying beyer again.

Regards Rich

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichyRich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi,is it like a fluttering at a certain low frequency?

If it is, I had the same problem with mine and after doing a search, a couple of others have suffered with it too.

I sent mine back for repair, they came back alright for a while but it started again.After that time my warranty ran out.

I will not be buying beyer again.

Regards Rich

Sorry to read about your troubles with your 770. The problem must have been there from the start because I'll admit to subjecting my 770 to assault-like levels of bass with no signs of defeat.

I hope you'll give beyer a second chance, I feel they're high quality headphones.

Jun 23, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to read about your troubles with your 770. The problem must have been there from the start because I'll admit to subjecting my 770 to assault-like levels of bass with no signs of defeat.

I hope you'll give beyer a second chance, I feel they're high quality headphones.

I definitely have to agree. I've pumped some serious low frequency tones to search for any crackle or distortion, and its always sounded clean.

They definitely feel and seem much more reliable than Grados.

Jun 23, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #12 of 20
Icky Thump has the same effect on everyone. It's just a terribly mastered CD. When I first listened to it, I thought there was something wrong with my RS-1s. I had a topic like this in the music section.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Havent updated my sig in a while. First off im running an XFI modded, so I wouldnt need an amp, it drives it just fine. Secondly I actually do have an amp, a GoVibe 5 with a 24v power supply.

Its not the headphones problem, I threw in The Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream last night and even with a bunch of scratches on the CD it sounded 100x better than Icky Thump with no noticable crackles.

Im going to agree with goldenratiophi, I think its just the CD mastering sucks.

It just irks me that this CD is ruined because of that. It is a very noticable distortion, and it drives me crazy when listening to any song. It ruins the whole CD for me.

i think an amp will drive the dt770. i also have the hotrodded xfi but an amp improves the cans alot..

Jun 24, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think an amp will drive the dt770. i also have the hotrodded xfi but an amp improves the cans alot..

I agree. I have the mod'd x-fi and the DT770/80's and they sound much better amp'd then not.

Jun 24, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #15 of 20
I've read a lot of threads and posts relating to this problem. When you are confronted with very low bass, and/or complex low passages - you need juice. The most common component tied to these posts is that the amp most often cited in use was a GoVibe. You need more. Sorry guys, it is your choice of amp and you DO need something better. The sufficient amps I saw mentioned was the poster who was using Portaphile 2^2 maxxed, and there was also a Head5. I once ran Darths w/ Portaphile off of a wallwart, and this combo worked very well for many months until my power needs grew because of much hungrier cans. The problem is NOT the Beyers - it is the setup...... I know my Beyers. They are all properly amped and I've NEVER had a problem. That includes four DarthBeyers over time (2 pairs earlier, 2 pairs of them now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back