Whats Wrong With My DT770s?
Jun 24, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read a lot of threads and posts relating to this problem. When you are confronted with very low bass, and/or complex low passages - you need juice. The most common component tied to these posts is that the amp most often cited in use was a GoVibe. You need more. Sorry guys, it is your choice of amp and you DO need something better. The sufficient amps I saw mentioned was the poster who was using Portaphile 2^2 maxxed, and there was also a Head5. I once ran Darths w/ Portaphile off of a wallwart, and this combo worked very well for many months until my power needs grew because of much hungrier cans. The problem is NOT the Beyers - it is the setup...... I know my Beyers. They are all properly amped and I've NEVER had a problem. That includes four DarthBeyers over time (2 pairs earlier, 2 pairs of them now).

Good to know my portaphile works well with beyer's, Since I'm starting to like the beyer sound and might look into more.
icon10.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to know my portaphile works well with beyer's, Since I'm starting to like the beyer sound and might look into more.
icon10.gif

you should and will not regret it..the dt880 and 990 is kinda the same to my ears but darth beyer is totally awesome..

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:37 AM Post #18 of 20
Ha, I dont feel like spending 200 bucks so that ONE album can sound good. Ive already told you guys that every other album (aside from a few) sounds perfect, so its not the amping problem. Its just that Icky Thump naturally sounds horrible, I guess they didnt want the people who buy their albums to enjoy it..

Anyways, theres been a few occasions where my friends would crank my amp so that the DT770's were audible without putting them on. It ticks me off but it was always whenever I leave the room or something. Anyways, that cant be good for the headphones can it? Having them too loud might damage the driver?

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #19 of 20
Last years I bought me some DT770's too, and they sounded great, until I popped in the Massive Attack CD Mezzanine. Already on the first track "Angel" my right ear (of the headphone that is
smily_headphones1.gif
) started to make the "fluttering" noise as RichyRich describes it. I did some tests with other equipment, replaced my soundcard (from SB Live to M-Audio audiophile 24/96), and recently my receiver. Additionally I tested on my girlfriend's receiver set, and another cheaper one I had lying around. The bass had the problem on all the sets.

It is quite interesting that it is not necessarily the lowest tones that make that fluttering sound, but just some frequencies. If I listen to most trance/dance/techno, you won't hear it. But on some tracks it just comes forward really obviously distorted. I found that the Mezzanine cd (although I know it is known to be bass-heavy) really demonstrates the problem areas. Even though I also have other cd's that trigger it, of course.

The weird thing is, that it seems to become better and worse for no reason. Sometimes the same track sounds really bad (the bass sounds like paper cracking), and sometimes it's better.

I sent the cans back to the shop that I bought them from, who in return sent the to Beyer to repair them (even though they have their own repair department). After a few weeks they came back, repaired. The fluttering was gone, and they sounded great. For a few months. Now they are doing the same thing again.

I'm dubbing whether I'll send them back again or not. I can really understand RichyRich's feeling when he says he won't buy Beyer's again, because it sounds really terrible when it happens. It feels like you're listening to cheap earplugs. So I guess I'll send them back, as a student I cannot really afford to just buy new ones. Even though it costs 15 euros every time to send them in for repairs.

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #20 of 20
Im not going to send my DT770s back just because one CD sounds horrible. I listen to techno/trance and the beats come clear and clean, nothing like on the Icky Thump CD. I guess its just the album mastering. I dont get how some albums, like some of my techno, can be bass heavy and work just fine but other albums dont?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back