Whats wrong with my DT-880, bought a LD-MKIII and can't hear a difference
Dec 25, 2009 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

foges

Head-Fier
I bought a pair of DT-880's ('03 model) this summer, but felt that they were really missing the oomph i get out of some other headphones. So for christmas i wished for and got a Little dot mk III, thinking that the problem was that my macbook couldnt drive the 250ohm impedance phones. However I still feel like the headphones are missing the oomph, its not that the sound is bad, its just a tad boring, as if it were a bit muffled. I enjoy the sound from my e4c's and SR60's a lot more. I've been plugging my headphones back and forth between amped and not amped and honestly i really cant hear much of a difference if any.

Has anyone come across something similar. I know I'm not an expert, but i thought i could expect some difference between amped and not. Could it be that the DT-880's just have too little bass for my needs? (though i wouldnt consider the music i listen to very bass heavy: pink floyd, RHCP, springsteen, etc..). If that is the case what headphones can you recommend, higher end grados?

Dec 25, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 22
I think your main problem is the source. It's very unlikely that the sound card in a macbook is any good. I got an E-MU 0404 USB a few days ago and it was a significant upgrade over my X-Fi Platinum even using the Quite Comfort 2s I was borrowing while waiting for my DT 880 600s. I just sat down with the Beyers for the first time and am really enjoying them despite the E-MU's obvious lack of power for such a high impedance headphone. I have Windows at 100% and the headphone amp in the E-MU at 75% for normal listening volume. Got a LD-MkIII on the way though, can't wait!

Dec 25, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 22
Hello Foges,

I had the LD MKIII and I remember my first listening experience with the amp, almost very similar to what you have stated... Stock the LD MKIII does not in my opinion have a characteristic tube sound, but everything changed once I rolled the driver tubes... I know you probably don't want to roll tubes so early, and I would not suggest it, since you should first put some hours on the amp, and enjoy it stock for awhile, since its a great amp. The Mullard M8161's are great tubes, they made a huge difference in sound, which I was skeptical about earlier, but the change was amazing, rich and warm, and had the tube sound signature. Personally I would not go and change your "source" yet, since the macbook isn't a optimal source, but further improvements can be made without cleaning up your source yet, and for cheaper. Really all you need to do is change the driver tubes and you'll be blown away, I know I was. Its a great amp, and I have always been fond of it, even after moving on... Best of luck! and enjoy! cheers,
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 22
No amp or DAC or whatever is capable of changing a disliked can sufficiently to make it a keeper. You're propably not the 1st who stepped into that special headfi trap. IMO too many howl with the amped-night-and-day differences wolfes here.

No wonder that headfi is loved so much by manufacturers.
tongue.gif

Dec 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 22
x2: there shouldn't be a noticeable difference between any two well-engineered amps. At least with the LD you have the option to mess around with different tubes, you may yet find a pair that alters the sound in a way you enjoy

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No amp or DAC or whatever is capable of changing a disliked can sufficiently to make it a keeper. You're propably not the 1st who stepped into that special headfi trap. IMO too many howl with the amped-night-and-day differences wolfes here.

No wonder that headfi is loved so much by manufacturers.
tongue.gif

Thank you for restoring my faith that sense can occasionally be found on Head-Fi. It makes a nice change from the constant hyperbole.

Dec 26, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 22
I had a similar experience, soon after registering on Head-fi I bought a pair of K701s and a Little Dot MKV at the same time. I wasn't blown away, which was rather a disappointment considering all the money I'd just spent. I only got a noticeable improvement when I bought a decent DAC. Afterwards, I decided the K701s weren't for me and bought different headphones instead, so I'd have to agree with the points made by the other posters above.

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #9 of 22
Thanks for all the comments.

I dont really want to invest a bunch of money in a DAC right away, I dont think the macbook can be that big of a bottleneck, I mean my e4c's and SR60's sound good from it. I think i may buy an pair of different tubes though, seems like a cheap way of ruling out one suspect, a set of Mullard M8161 cost around 30$ on ebay... Does anyone else have an opinion on these tubes/if changing tubes will make a difference? The drive tubes are the big ones that are responsible for the lows right? (because its the lows on the DT-880's that i dont enjoy..)

Also, are the 325 grados a big step up from the 60's?

Dec 26, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

IMHO proper amp will improve the SS width/depth, bass response, give a more rounded/natural sound...these can easily be felt as "night and day" to some, but indeed it won't change the native FR of the cans or its sonic characteristics.
Quote:

Originally Posted by foges /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think the macbook can be that big of a bottleneck

how can you be complaining when your source is a $0.3 ASIC chip? it's prolly a realtek or so, these are junk.

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Thanks for all the comments.

I dont really want to invest a bunch of money in a DAC right away, I dont think the macbook can be that big of a bottleneck, I mean my e4c's and SR60's sound good from it.

Surely you jest. You have one pair of premium, hard to drive phones, and your putting faith in a laptop soundcard.

That is one serious MOFO bottleneck. And I don't do HF hyperbole. SQ is only as good as your weakest link, and laptop sound can suck the hardest.

Quote:

I think i may buy an pair of different tubes though, seems like a cheap way of ruling out one suspect, a set of Mullard M8161 cost around 30$ on ebay... Does anyone else have an opinion on these tubes/if changing tubes will make a difference? The drive tubes are the big ones that are responsible for the lows right? (because its the lows on the DT-880's that i dont enjoy..)

Also, are the 325 grados a big step up from the 60's?

I have to put a flameproof suit on when I say this: I don't think LDs are anywhere near good enough for those phones; there is too much HF hyperbole on cheapish tube amps (and rolling) solving all hard to drive headphone ills.

Cheap fixes don't fix anything, changing tubes is tinkering on the margins. If you don't like something about the phones, get others. Try them with a decent hi fi setup somewhere first to see if you warm to them.

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #12 of 22
Ok, so i decided to plug the LD and DT-880 into my dads B&O Beogram 5500 and put on an old Pink Floyd record and wow!! The sound was incredibly clear, at times i had to remove my headphones to make sure the sound was actually coming from the headphones! What a difference. Maybe i should have a look into getting a USB DAC.

I still think the bass is too weak though, I later played Deep Purple "made in japan", and although smoke on the water was good, the low end was still too weak, they sound more like someone tapping on tupperware than propper drums to me...

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #13 of 22
Have to agree with everyone who is pointing to your source. Source/dac makes a huge difference, probably more than an amp. If you just don't like the sound of those headphones, it's probably not going to matter what you do, but if it's just a question of disliking minor aspects of the phone, changing your source and then either your amp or your tubes can make all the difference.

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Ok, so i decided to plug the LD and DT-880 into my dads B&O Beogram 5500 and put on an old Pink Floyd record and wow!!

Propably due to the high ohm plug of that integrated amp. With other cans a no-go, but Beyers do like high resistance.

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #15 of 22
Please get a DAC and stop wasting your time with that laptop headphone out =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back