Whats the verdict on Coldplay's X&Y
Jun 9, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #16 of 60
Some good songs. Not as good as their last album (which I thought was a big improvement over their first album from the very first time I heard it).

Jun 10, 2005 at 8:46 AM Post #17 of 60
Sorry to do a slightly off topic bump but does anyone hear realyl bad static/crackling/graininess etc. on some of the tracks? Especially the title track when he sings "I dive in off the deep end" and onwards from then. I've tried three different copies and they all sound like this, on my computer and ipod.

As far as the album goes, what has been said here is pretty much true, it's bland and over produced, and worst of all totally uninspired, the last two albums were much much better. But there's a couple of good tunes on this album none the less.

Jun 10, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #18 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by lollercheese
Sorry to do a slightly off topic bump but does anyone hear realyl bad static/crackling/graininess etc. on some of the tracks? Especially the title track when he sings "I dive in off the deep end" and onwards from then. I've tried three different copies and they all sound like this, on my computer and ipod.

copy protection perhaps?

the @$%*&! cd is copy-protected and i just cant get it to play without involving the @#&^(! 'bundled' audio player. seriously bad news considering my headphone rig is computer based.
rolleyes.gif
frown.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #19 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
the @$%*&! cd is copy-protected and i just cant get it to play without involving the @#&^(! 'bundled' audio player. seriously bad news considering my headphone rig is computer based.
rolleyes.gif
frown.gif

Really? It works fine for me in Winamp and Foobar, was able to copy it also.
confused.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #20 of 60
Try another drive and/or make sure there’s no auto play on the computer.

Last call, get the British version since it isn’t copy-protected. Also, the bad quality might be because it’s hot.

Jun 10, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #21 of 60
Hold down the shift key when inserting it (or any CD) into the computer to prevent auto play.

I ripped it to FLAC using EAC as soon as I got it. Like most of my recent CD purchases, I've never listened to it in any form other than FLAC.

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #22 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Really? It works fine for me in Winamp and Foobar, was able to copy it also.
confused.gif

apparently - they've decided to forgo copy protection for CONUS and Canade after poor feeedback for previous CC releases.

...which is why, now, they've decided to screw asia over.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 9:13 AM Post #23 of 60
Well I saw them on VH1's StoryTellers the other night and it goes to support my hypothesis that this album sound s a lot better live than on disc. Still a good disc but these guys really made the live versions of the songs sparkle much more than the versions on the disc

Jun 11, 2005 at 9:51 AM Post #24 of 60
adhoc, there are EAC-flac'ed copies of the album on the net, try some bittorrent trackers. Since you already purchased the album, downloading it isnt illegal.

As for the album, the first song is nice, but the rest have yet to impress me. Shame. Also, the sequence is pretty much slow/fast/slow/fast song, it would have been better if they separate the songs a bit.

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #25 of 60
Only listened once, and so far i give it 'meh' out of 10. I'm hoping it will grow on me because coldplay themselves hyped it up quite a bit so i somewhat suspect they are actually proud of it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
adhoc, there are EAC-flac'ed copies of the album on the net, try some bittorrent trackers. Since you already purchased the album, downloading it isnt illegal..

Just a quick note slighly off topic, but here's one place that america actually has more liberal laws-- here in australia we cant even have a backup of stuff we own if it's copyright. how lame. means that 99% of all mp3 player use is illegal (uh, althought they probably are anyway).

But yeh i've seen some EAC flacs of coldplay cd around on torrent, so fix your copy up

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #26 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
Just a quick note slighly off topic, but here's one place that america actually has more liberal laws-- here in australia we cant even have a backup of stuff we own if it's copyright. how lame. means that 99% of all mp3 player use is illegal (uh, althought they probably are anyway)

...it's the same here where i live!
rolleyes.gif

Jun 12, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #27 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose Perez
Well I saw them on VH1's StoryTellers the other night and it goes to support my hypothesis that this album sound s a lot better live than on disc. Still a good disc but these guys really made the live versions of the songs sparkle much more than the versions on the disc

funny that. I've actually seen them live and they are way up there in my all-time worest live performers.

Jun 12, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #28 of 60
I went on a road trip yesterday to see Bill Maher at the Tower Theater in Philadelphia. That's about an hour and forty-five minutes each way. I listened to "Get Behind Me Satan" on the way there, and "X & Y" on the way back. I got to like both albums even more while listening to them in the car. I especially got to appreciate the sublties of "X & Y" a bit more than I had previously. Quite a good disc...I even put a few tracks that I had initially omitted on my iPod

Jun 12, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #29 of 60
this album is ok. there was so much hype around it saying that it was coldplay's "joshua tree", but it really isn't. if you ignore the hype, it's a decent album, but its def not anything special.

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #30 of 60
i forgot to mention this earlier: thanks all for your suggestions regarding how to resolve my x&y+computer problems. however - i consider myself a pretty computer-savvy [
evil_smiley.gif
] person and i shouldve clarified that my problems were more along the lines of ripping securely with EAC as my rig is pc-based.
biggrin.gif

anyway, i've found that with the passage of time this album has begun to grow on me.
smily_headphones1.gif

sure, (imo) it may not have the immediate accessibility of parachutes or arobtth, but then again all the better - coldplay was getting too damned popular for my liking anyway. it's about time the men were sorted from the boys..
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back