Whats the verdict on Coldplay's X&Y
Jul 11, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanEnthusiast
um ok

OK, if you want more explanation... I find their music very simplistic and somewhat boring. I don't find any of the band to be particulary strong in their musicianship, which is important to me. Thus, I don't mind hearing them as background music, but not in a situation where I want to immerse myslf in the music.

Jul 12, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #48 of 60
I'm pretty mixed myself on their new album. I have both Parachutes and A Rush Of Blood To The Head, and their Live DVD as well, and I must say, X&Y is a little different, but not that different. I expected something very different sonically, as most of their songs sound quite depressing and too melancholy. There were some nice moments, like "Fix You" and "X&Y" (which reminds me of Oasis' "What's The Story, Morning Glory?), and Speed of Sound (which sounds way too similar to Clocks), but that's the typical situation with headlining pop groups: when a new album comes out, only some of it (on the contrary if you're a die hard fan) is surprisingly different and good for a while. By the way, is it just me or does The Hardest Part and Kingdom Come sound Country?

Jul 28, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #50 of 60
hey just wanted to chime in here with my 2 cents. i too am experiencing slight crackling on certain tracks, at first I thought it was a bad CD but now I realize that a lot of you are experiencing the same thing. i think maybe this CD was just recorded poorly.

anyways, this CD certainly grows on you. swallowed by the sea, what if, fix you, speed of sound, are all good tracks IMHO. so this CD isn't as good as their previous releases, but it's certainly not a poor album IMHO. i just wished they recorded it better...

Jul 29, 2005 at 10:45 AM Post #51 of 60
Masterpiece! Every song is great, which is very, very rare nowadays.
Only mastering/mixing sux, though (distortion/clipping).

Dec 13, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #53 of 60
This is one of only a handful of albums that I can listen to from beginning to end. Even some Beatles CDs have me reaching for the FF button. X&Y is definitely acquired taste, though, because after the first few listens, only a couple of tracks stood out to me, and none of them were too special, but a week later...and I'm pretty impressed.

It's far from "dribble (sic)."
rolleyes.gif

Dec 13, 2005 at 9:07 AM Post #54 of 60
Listened to it a while ago, didn't really like it. Their first album Parachutes is ok. Radiohead on the other hand are awesome! Does anyone else think that they keep trying to sound like Bends era Radiohead?

Dec 13, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #56 of 60
Yellow is easily my least favorite Coldplay tune.

I really got into Rush of Blood when it came out, but the more I listen to it the less interested I became in it.

Probably the best categorizaiton of Colplay I have ever heard is "Mom Rock." That sums them up pretty well.

L7R, what other music do you listen to? I can name probably 30 albums from the last 5 years where every track is good. Heck, where every track is better than anything Coldplay has done.

Dec 13, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #57 of 60
I think it's their best album, and I like it. I was not crazy about their other two albums, so that's sort of damning it with faint praise...but I do still listen to it 6 months after buying it.

Dec 13, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #58 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I think it's their best album, and I like it. I was not crazy about their other two albums, so that's sort of damning it with faint praise...but I do still listen to it 6 months after buying it.

My thoughts exactly.

Dec 13, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #59 of 60
I like it. I only got it a few weeks ago for my better half who's more pop/radio oriented than I (can't always buy just for myself) but it was something I liked within two plays. Talk and Speed of Sound are the two songs I like most. As I'm unfamiliar with Coldplay yet was a fan in the 80's/early 90's of U2 listening to X&Y is very satisfying yet bizarre. It's like a U2 that chose a different destiny, one of heart felt songs but without all the ego and bombast.

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #60 of 60
i dunno if this is on topic from the rest of the thread, but this album is terribly dull and unoriginal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back