Whats the verdict on Coldplay's X&Y
Jun 14, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #31 of 60
Coldplay was on XM's Artist Confidential today. They'll re-play it a few times for those who missed it. Listening now, so far so good.... Artist Confidential is one of the best parts of XM music.

Jun 14, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #32 of 60
I'm listening to it right now. I think it grows on you. Oddly enough i like more then their last album
confused.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #34 of 60
OK, so the British music mags have been talking this one up like it's the second coming of What's the Story Morning Glory. That's a bit much...quite a bit, actually.

That said, I've been listening to it for about a week, and aside from a couple of clunkers, I think it's a pretty good album.

I know that Coldplay get's beat up pretty well around here by some folks. I've followed them through their first two albums - the first was not that great IMHO, the second VERY spotty (though better than the first). This is a substantial improvement IMHO.

Any other thoughts??

Jul 5, 2005 at 10:00 AM Post #35 of 60
Check out this thread from a few weeks ago:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=122817

After giving it a more thorough listen I have to say I really like it. It has everything I like about Coldplay and a few new things thrown in for good measure. A lot of what I've read has been that it is "more of the same" but I definitely don't see that as a bad thing.

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #36 of 60
Can anyone confirm the sibilance I'm experiencing on nearly every track? I was just listening to their previous album today (it's there too) and it started to really bother me. I switched over to X&Y and it's the same problem. I really hope this isn't my system...

http://video.starwars.com/aol/us/mov...20_hs_r_dl.mov

Jul 6, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwin902
Can anyone confirm the sibilance I'm experiencing on nearly every track? I was just listening to their previous album today (it's there too) and it started to really bother me. I switched over to X&Y and it's the same problem. I really hope this isn't my system...

I have listening to Coldplay's "X & Y" on three car stereo systems, my iPod [with headphones and with speakers], and on my PCDP and I have noticed no sibilance. Maybe it's me...

Jul 11, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #38 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
OK, so the British music mags have been talking this one up like it's the second coming of What's the Story Morning Glory. That's a bit much...quite a bit, actually.

That said, I've been listening to it for about a week, and aside from a couple of clunkers, I think it's a pretty good album.

I know that Coldplay get's beat up pretty well around here by some folks. I've followed them through their first two albums - the first was not that great IMHO, the second VERY spotty (though better than the first). This is a substantial improvement IMHO.

Any other thoughts??

I agree completely. Their first album did NOTHING for me. In fact, I had written them off completely. Then I heard Clocks and I was WOWED! I bought the disc just for that song and was pleasantly surprised by The Scientist. Other than that, I didn't care for the album.

Then comes this album, overhyped as per usual, I was not enthusiastic, nor really anticipating anything that would urge me to buy the album. I heard the first single and really liked it then I went in for a listen at a local music store and after the first 4 tracks, I was hooked.

My main issues with this album (besides the horrid recording quality, someone in this thread mentioned static/distortion/scratchiness on a few tracks, I have that too and I am playing it on my 5k CD player as well as my computers) is that this album is pretty much a remix album of Clocks. Every song sounds nearly identical and they all sound very similar to Clocks, so much so that one track I felt it WAS Clocks, before checking the track listing. I suppose...write to what sells/works?

I'm not complaining overly, as I wrote, I really like Clocks and an album full of Clocks-like songs will have a heavy rotation at least for a while on my end, that said, nothing clever here, nothing profound, certainly not the "second coming of 'What's the Story Morning Glory.'" This is a very polite album; it is a safe album. It is a perfect album for me when I have come home from a long day and I need to veg, words fade to mumbles, I experience soft rolling drones and spacey rhythms, nice and pleasant.

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #40 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Heh...you referenced this thread in your post in this thread
biggrin.gif

argghhh im caught in a thread-loop!
orphsmile.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #43 of 60
I finally got to listen to the whole thing in a friend's car stereo. I actually didn't really like any of the songs, except for the first single. I guess I should probably give it another chance some other time.

Jul 11, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #44 of 60
hmm im suprised. i really like the X&Y album. i especially like instrumentals in the song 'talk', which i instantly recognized as a re-working of Kraftwerk's brilliant electronic classic 'computer love'. i like the guitar translation, very well done. and while it borrows the melody from kraftwerk, it's not a cover, but a completely new song.

Jul 11, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #45 of 60
My wife loves Coldplay and their new album. Personally, it is just pop dribble to me. I don't think it is terrible, but the only place I would want to listen to it is in the elevator or a dentist's chair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back