What's the refrence?
Jul 28, 2008 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hamedy

100+ Head-Fier
hi there
I saw reviews here that call triple fi's vocal somewhat recessed
now i'm listening to them, in some tracks it's like singer sticks his/her mouth to my ear and i cant believe it can be more close to me and in some other tracks it seems the vocal comes from distant.

now the question is live/close/distant/colored to what?
what is the refrence?
maybe those tracks seems recessed are recorded that way, I mean maybe artist wants himself the vocal be heard that way and those phones that play it close are somewhat colored.
what do you compare your phones with? is there a refrence at all?
I think i should pick something just i like more, what do you think?

Jul 28, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #2 of 10
I think you confuse the idea of recessed to imaging/positioning. Also, you don't always need to compare it with other 'phone to find out whether the vocal is recessed or not, as long as you are familiar to the music.

Recessed vocal means the headphone freq. resp. over the vocal region has a slight V shape in comparison to bass and treble, making everything else louder. Just because you get less volume over vocal doesn't always mean it will sound distant. When the song has a distanced vocal, it will sound distant on all headphone; but if a headphone has a recessed vocal, you'll notice you get less of vocal as you will on any other headphone, this is how you know the headphone is colored. If you check out the freq. resp. of TF10, you can see a slight V shape over the vocal region, which is around 250Hz ~ 1kHz.

Jul 28, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 10
thank you clieos for reply
I have same idea about recessed with you, just because of weak english i said "distant",you said "as long as you are familiar to the music. " here is my question, how you get familier with a piece of music? with a pair of phones right?
how you know which phone play it just natural and which is colored? maybe you got familier in wrong way?! (triple fi was just an example and my question is general)

Jul 28, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 10
I have same idea about recessed with you, just because of weak english i said "distant",you said "as long as you are familiar to the music. " here is my question, how you get familier with a piece of music? with a pair of phones right?
how you know which phone play it just natural and which is colored? maybe you got familier in wrong way?! (triple fi was just an example and my question is general)

Jul 28, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 10
As long as YOU enjoy them, that is what matters the most.
smily_headphones1.gif

I like some headphones that other people say are cheap garbage.
If the voice sounds like its right there in front of you, like you can touch it, and if you like that, then have fun and enjoy your headphones!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 10
I like the Headphones which i dont own.

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by hamedy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the habit of swapping my equipments around so I listen to the same music over and over again on different gears. If you do it like I did, slowly you will notice what kind of coloration each gear contributes to the final sound. The end result is you have a mental picture of how a piece of music should sound like under certain gear, than you put in your new gear and listen to the change it brings into the new setup.

Unlike good speaker, good headphone often have non-flat freq. resp. and therefore it is almost impossible to find a totally 'neutral' sound to serve as reference. It is why people often use the equipments they familiar with as reference. For example, you don't think TF10's vocal is recessed because you haven't heard other IEM with forwarded or fairly neutral vocal, while I think it is recessed because I am comparing it to SA6, Image, or even ER6i. We are all limited by our experience, which is why I often read reviewers' profile to find out what kind of gear the person has so I can better understand his/her wording.

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 10
"Recessed vocal" in this case means a recessed midrange, which just means that the midrange frequencies are quieter than the treble and bass frequencies.

Familiarity with music is built either over long periods of experience with the sound of live acoustic instruments (I've played piano seriously for 13 years for instance and know what it's supposed to sound like, as well as a ton of other acoustic instruments besides), or by listening to the same piece of music on many different headphones.

Better yet, take a recording, and play it back on a speaker system in an acoustically tuned environment that measures completely flat. That's generally how your recording sounds, at least when it comes to frequency response, and you can use that as a basis for comparison. In a headphone, what sounds flat to the human ear doesn't measure flat with a dummy head. Complicating the equation further is the fact that different human anatomy can produce a different FR in different listeners. So, it's a lot harder to objectively measure frequency response irregularities in a headphone, but with practice and experience with many different headphones and speakers, and live music besides, you get the hang of doing it by ear.

I've used the same exact tracks as my basis for comparison over the last 3 years. I've heard them on some of the best systems out there, and some of the worst, and suffice to say, by this time, I know they should sound like the back of my hand.

Jul 29, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as YOU enjoy them, that is what matters the most.
smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

thank you drag0n, I agree with you
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the Headphones which i dont own.

I do too
biggrin.gif
, now i want se530 so bad, but i will save up for a custom UE
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the habit of swapping my equipments around so I listen to the same music over and over again on different gears.....

thank you again cliOS, you did explain it so fine.
do you know does this signature applied on custom UE's too or no?(recessed)

Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Recessed vocal" in this case means a recessed midrange, which just means that the midrange frequencies are .....

I think listening to live acoustic instruments is the best way.
thank you catscratch for your precious time and information.

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by hamedy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you again cliOS, you did explain it so fine.
do you know does this signature applied on custom UE's too or no?(recessed)

Don't know it personally, but I have read review that TF10 sounds different from UE10, which is more up front, IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back