Whats the odds of blowing the drivers on HD800's with LYR volume turned to 2 o'clock
Mar 12, 2012 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

choptalk

Head-Fier
Just got my start up setup today. 
So far it consist of MBP to LYR to HD800's. No special cables yet.

Sounds great considering the fact I dont have a DAC and AMP that will be my permanent setup yet.

All I have been hearing about for months on this forum is how powerful the LYR is compared to others.

It sounds great if I have the volume turned up to 2 o'clock which is almost 75%.

I like my music LOUD!!

As a matter of fact I could turn the LYR to full volume and not flinch.

I just cant enjoy music unless it blaring. I have always been that way.
I just recently had a hearing test and my hearing is perfect. I just like it LOUD.

Im also going through this so-called burn in phase on both the HD 800's and LYR at the same time.

I heard them both for the first time at the same time. They both have exactly the same amount of hours on them. 4 hours to be exact.

I have not smelt any funny smells.
I dont hear any distortion.

The LYR is NOT running hot.

I dont see any signs that im sending too much power to the HD 800's 

But I thought I would ask since all I have heard for the last 2 months since Ive been here is how powerful the LYR is.

Also once I "SO CALL" burn this stuff in will it get louder without having to put the volume knob so high?

And last but not least I could not figure out what section I should put this thread in.

If its in the wrong spot feel free to move it.
Since the subject of this thread is about $1500 headphones I figured this was the spot for this question.

Thanks.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 18
Just talked to Mr Stoddard.

He told me that since I dont have an external DAC im fine.
The MBP only puts out 1v of power and most external DAC's put out at least 2 according to him.

I guess I should have asked him first come to think of it.

Well if thats the case I highly endorse the LYR.

It does my $1500 headphones justice with only 4 hours burn-in and no external DAC yet.

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
Burning in your headphones will not make them louder.

And if your hearing hasn't been damaged yet - it will be.

Well you have to consider I am not setup properly yet.

My 3 o clock may be your 11 o clock.

If my output to the AMP is only 1 volt and yours is 2 volts.

Thats what Jason Stoddard told me.

Mar 12, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
Well you have to consider I am not setup properly yet.

My 3 o clock may be your 11 o clock.

If my output to the AMP is only 1 volt and yours is 2 volts.

Thats what Jason Stoddard told me.

3'oclock on a Lyr with just about anything is pretty loud. I had one with my LCD2s and I couldn't take much past 12-1 o'clock. 11 being more the norm.

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 18
The Lyr has a gain of 10, so at maximum volume your amp will be putting out 10 Vrms. The hd800s have a sensitivity of 102 dB @ 1Vrms. This yields an average listening level of 122 dB. That is extremely loud, and is off the chart linked by Radio_head, but since 115 dB results in damage after 15 minutes I think it's safe to say that very short listening periods at maximum volume will result in hearing damage. This is assuming your volume is maximum in software. 

1V vs. 2V output on your DAC is only a 6 dB difference. I don't know what the attenuation curve for the Lyr pot looks like but on a typical log taper pot 11 to 3 should be way more than a doubling of voltage.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
The Lyr has a gain of 10, so at maximum volume your amp will be putting out 10 Vrms. The hd800s have a sensitivity of 102 dB @ 1Vrms. This yields an average listening level of 122 dB. That is extremely loud, and is off the chart linked by Radio_head, but since 115 dB results in damage after 15 minutes I think it's safe to say that very short listening periods at maximum volume will result in hearing damage. This is assuming your volume is maximum in software. 

1V vs. 2V output on your DAC is only a 6 dB difference. I don't know what the attenuation curve for the Lyr pot looks like but on a typical log taper pot 11 to 3 should be way more than a doubling of voltage.

The main question is does this potentially damage the HD800's

The owner of the company told me I was fine and im not doing anything that will cause damage.

The volume at 3 o clock is about the same level as IPOD earbuds at 75% on an iphone.

As a matter of fact IPHONE earbuds start hurting my ears at 75%. The HD800's with LYR does not hurt my ears. Its just right.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 18
Check everything in your setup...for me with the same volume with Desktop setup: Laptop->Bitfrost->Lyr->HD800 in full volume in laptop and 3:00 volume on Lyr is unbearable. Check the volume on the source with HD800, another amp with source and HD800 or another headphone, etc...maybe it's one of the components.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Check everything in your setup...for me with the same volume with Desktop setup: Laptop->Bitfrost->Lyr->HD800 in full volume in laptop and 3:00 volume on Lyr is unbearable. Check the volume on the source with HD800, another amp with source and HD800 or another headphone, etc...maybe it's one of the components.

that bitfrost you have probably makes a huge difference.

If you dont mind doing me a favor.

Could you briefly remove the bitfrost from your setup go directly from computer to LYR and put the HD 800's at 3 o clock and tell me what you think.

If you are too busy dont worry about it.

I was just asking in case you were bored.

I would be real interested in what you hear.

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #15 of 18
Hmm, this may be a dumb question, but have you checked the volume on your MBP? It sounds like it may be very low. Not just the general volume but also that of iTunes, BitPerfect or other players that you may use. With both general & iTunes down a bit, when combined, may result in a low output. (And for instance when using my DAC(s), the general volume is greyed out, but iTunes' digital volume will still let me make adjustments). How about any equalizer settings?

I don't have your specific setup, but I'm using the analog out into active speakers, and I have to keep their volume way down when maxing out the MBP/iTunes volume while still getting considerable loudness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back