What's the most you'd pay for headphones?
May 21, 2003 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 49
I just recently bought my present and only decent set of phones (w100s) ... which at around $215 caused a good deal of buyer's remorse. However, I really really like them.

If I could get a quick-cashin on these I think I'd be willing to go for the goal and buy w2002s at a decent price and sit near the top for awhile. (I also have a thing for headphones that come with carrying cases .. and the red laquer on the 2002s is .. mmm)

-Serp

May 21, 2003 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 49
Considering my listening is pretty much confined to portable applications, I can't see spending too much more than $100 for a pair. I don't see how I could take advantage of the increase in quality with the setup I've got.

That being said...

I would consider the following headphones over $100 for portable use:

Ultrasone HFI 650
Etymotics ER-6
Beyer DT250-80

But probably my next pair of headphones will be the Shure E2C staying within my threshold.

May 21, 2003 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 49
For me, it would be £70 right Rob?
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2003 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 49
Well Rob.. you're at about £400 right now from what I can see...

...How much are YOU thinking of spending?

...and to answer your question... £350 it seems, for me... for now
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 21, 2003 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 49
Stax Omega IIs: $1500
Sennheiser HE90: $2000

Not that I have bought either, but I would consider each a bargain at the stated prices.

May 21, 2003 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 49
Believe me, if I had the ability to pay for headphones with my current funds, I would
smily_headphones1.gif

Neglecting this, if I did have the funds, I still can't imagine spending more than $500 on one pair. Beyond that I think it's a little much to invest in one thing but who knows...I'm still rather new to this game
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2003 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 49
i just got my first (and soon to be only pair of headphones) good headphones a week or so ago... the are the ms2's at $300 u.s. and that's the most i'll spend until i find more funds... oooooohhhhh!!! it's so sad!!! i ended up buying a mint amp from tigger and it's gonna be the only one i've got until i complete my tool kit and build my own!!! *cries!!* $300 phones with a cheap ass amp!!! ooooohhhh the pain!!! the agony!!! the HORROR!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

p.s. does anyone want my hd 202's? they have messed up pads but i think they're still worth $15... waddya say!!! *smiles*

May 21, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #10 of 49
That is funny. I just got my Ety ER4 / Airhead combo in the mail last night, and . . . .. OH MY! Totally Awesome! Definately a real difference. To get to the point of this thread, I guess my limit is $200 US. (Not including tweaks) I say this because I had originally bought a pair of ER6Ps and returned them because I didn't think the sound was worth the money. (Please don't flame me about that comment; that is just my opinion with my cheap CDP and sound card.) Happy headphone listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 49
i can afford more, but my inner diminishing-marginal-returns meter peaks out about about us$300.

May 21, 2003 at 6:36 PM Post #12 of 49
Well, I just purchased a Stax 4040 Signature System II. The Stax 404 headphones sell separately for around $400. So, I guess that would be the most I'd pay with my current funds
biggrin.gif

However, as funds become available I could see spending the $1500 for the Stax Omega II...did I just say that I would be willing to spend $1500 on a pair of headphones
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
?!

May 21, 2003 at 6:39 PM Post #13 of 49
10K max for everything.. cans, amp, source.

Headphones alone, I would do no more than 4K max. Gotta have money for my other toys
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2003 at 6:51 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23
10K max for everything.. cans, amp, source.

Headphones alone, I would do no more than 4K max. Gotta have money for my other toys
smily_headphones1.gif

*grumbles* stupid richies... what kinda job give you this kinda money?

May 21, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 49
$340 for a pair of CD-3000... maybe the last pair of phones? Certainly not, I have no delusions about this hobby. Even if it were the last pair of phones I'd ever buy, I have no CDP for home play nor do I have an amp. The fun is only beginning :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back