What's the most uncoloured and accurate full-sized headphone?
Jun 6, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K1000,the purest sound i have ever heard.

X2 on the K1Ks! Picky about what amps it likes, but when you feed it a good one, it is about as close to real as I have heard.

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Problem is, I think very few people on Head-Fi have an understanding of what neutral is. I know my setup isn't that neutral. But when someone posts Grado being neutral, that's just shows how few of us actually understand what it means.

Personally if I wanted the opinion of a flat response, neutral headphone, I'd post in a more respected forum of professionals. But that's just me, I trust the opinion of a professional more than any audiophile in this case.

HP1000s are designed for professionals.

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #33 of 38
O2 Mk1. I've been to one of the top mastering studios in the world and the O2 Mk1 was very similar to their system especially in terms of tonality.

I don't consider the ER-4P/S to be neutral BTW, I think the treble is seriously overhyped on these IEMs, so take that as my personal sonic bias, though poor fit could explain it too.

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #34 of 38
Thanks for the flood of insightful replies!

High-end staxes and the hd800 are out of my budget.

The price of the k1k is for me a little steep as well and besides, I can't get over it's looks.

I'm seriously considering the dt48 now, but which of the different versions to choose? I prefer circumaurals to supraaurals.

And lastly, how does the cd900st stack up against the dt48?

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #35 of 38
K1000.
k1000smile.gif

With the 4070 and SR-007 as strong runner ups.

Jun 7, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by a6laze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the flood of insightful replies!

High-end staxes and the hd800 are out of my budget.

The price of the k1k is for me a little steep as well and besides, I can't get over it's looks.

I'm seriously considering the dt48 now, but which of the different versions to choose? I prefer circumaurals to supraaurals.

And lastly, how does the cd900st stack up against the dt48?

From one persons opinion, the 900 was more balanced but had a narrower sound stage.
The the DT48e 25ohm.

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #37 of 38
Eh, whatever. None of us have any credentials to be able to determine whether headphone is truly neutral or not yet in this thread.

Wouldn't trust any of these impressions or suggestions so far.

Jun 7, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by a6laze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know there's no such thing as a perfectly flat and neutral headphone but what I'm looking for is the next closest in line.

I think that if I can find such a headphone I would only need to own one headphone and that's exactly what I want: to reduce the clutter and hassle and just enjoy the music.

I do realize that the accentuation of certain frequencies for different genres of music may make the music sound more euphonic and enjoyable (think Grado) but that's not what I'm after in the long-term.

To put it simply, even if a coloured reproduction sounds better than a more accurate reproduction, I would go for the latter as I want my audio equipment to give me a close approximation of what was recorded. I could perhaps then use an EQ to tweak the sound thereafter.

I already own the HD650, K701, DT880 '05 (250), PK1 and ER4-S (placed in a custom shell) and I like the ER4-S customs the most.

These are my gripes with my existing phones:

The 650 is very comfortable and attractive but the sound is definitely coloured and veiled. I'm not keen on recabling as IMO it offers marginal improvements at a rather upscale price and does not change the basic sonic signature.

As for the 701, I don't like the fact that I've to up frequencies < 55hz by 5db for them to be listenable. I also have rather severe comfort issues with them--the oversized earcups and the pressure from the headband on the crown of my head. But the EQed 701 is still my currently preferred headphone.

The 880 '05 (250) has a very annoying and noticeable spike in the upper regions that I simply cannot tolerate. So off it went.

The PK1 is amazing given it's form factor but still cannot compare with high-end full-sized cans. Plus it has no isolation for portable use and I'd much rather use the circumaurals for home listening. So off it went too.

Lastly, the ER4-S customs. I've tried all the flagship universals from Shure, UE, Westone and none are to my liking. To me, it is the end of my IEM journey; no gripes with these at all. (maybe only the soundstage but that's an inherent limitation of the IEM form factor)

I've got the MX5021 for my multimedia speakers, nEar05 experience for my near-field monitors, and the ER4-S customs for IEMs. I'm only left with my full-sized headphone journey to complete now.

IMO the upper-tier cans like the ed9, gs1000, d7000, w5000, l3000, and r10 are all coloured.

I've never auditioned the staxes, qualia, orpheus, or the hd800 so can anyone shed some light?

Perhaps the ad2000 and the sa5000 are a little closer to my preferences?

What about the cd900st?

Thanks for bearing with my rather long banter.
normal_smile .gif

I think you need to listen to a system stax!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back