What's the most uncoloured and accurate full-sized headphone?
Jun 6, 2009 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

a6laze

New Head-Fier
I know there's no such thing as a perfectly flat and neutral headphone but what I'm looking for is the next closest in line.

I think that if I can find such a headphone I would only need to own one headphone and that's exactly what I want: to reduce the clutter and hassle and just enjoy the music.

I do realize that the accentuation of certain frequencies for different genres of music may make the music sound more euphonic and enjoyable (think Grado) but that's not what I'm after in the long-term.

To put it simply, even if a coloured reproduction sounds better than a more accurate reproduction, I would go for the latter as I want my audio equipment to give me a close approximation of what was recorded. I could perhaps then use an EQ to tweak the sound thereafter.

I already own the HD650, K701, DT880 '05 (250), PK1 and ER4-S (placed in a custom shell) and I like the ER4-S customs the most.

These are my gripes with my existing phones:

The 650 is very comfortable and attractive but the sound is definitely coloured and veiled. I'm not keen on recabling as IMO it offers marginal improvements at a rather upscale price and does not change the basic sonic signature.

As for the 701, I don't like the fact that I've to up frequencies < 55hz by 5db for them to be listenable. I also have rather severe comfort issues with them--the oversized earcups and the pressure from the headband on the crown of my head. But the EQed 701 is still my currently preferred headphone.

The 880 '05 (250) has a very annoying and noticeable spike in the upper regions that I simply cannot tolerate. So off it went.

The PK1 is amazing given it's form factor but still cannot compare with high-end full-sized cans. Plus it has no isolation for portable use and I'd much rather use the circumaurals for home listening. So off it went too.

Lastly, the ER4-S customs. I've tried all the flagship universals from Shure, UE, Westone and none are to my liking. To me, it is the end of my IEM journey; no gripes with these at all. (maybe only the soundstage but that's an inherent limitation of the IEM form factor)

I've got the MX5021 for my multimedia speakers, nEar05 experience for my near-field monitors, and the ER4-S customs for IEMs. I'm only left with my full-sized headphone journey to complete now.

IMO the upper-tier cans like the ed9, gs1000, d7000, w5000, l3000, and r10 are all coloured.

I've never auditioned the staxes, qualia, orpheus, or the hd800 so can anyone shed some light?

Perhaps the ad2000 and the sa5000 are a little closer to my preferences?

What about the cd900st?

Thanks for bearing with my rather long banter.
normal_smile .gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 38
DT880'05 sound very similar to the ER-4S imo.
The one thing they can lack is speed compared to the ER-4S (which are lightning quick...).
For that I suggest looking at an electrostat.
A lot of people will probably pipe up and say HD800. But between me and you i'd wait till the FOTM dies.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 38
If you really want an uncolored sound with no distortion of the signal the DT48 would be the obvious choice. Transparency. Hi fidelity. Neutrality. Flat FR. Detail. Clarity. Speed. Accuracy. Mid range. Resolve.
I owned the DT880 and the SA5000, and would be a noticeable down grade for what you are looking for.

Other options for uncolored 900st/240DF

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 38
the denon ahd2000 is colored- enhanced bass and highs. i've heard the sa5000 is very very bright. the sa1000 sure is.

try the akg k271. very neutral. hard to drive though and will not give a lot of bass if you should want it

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 38
I'd say the HD800. I know I'm not supposed to say that because some people will insist it's a FOTM, but I've heard (and own) a lot of top end headphones and I think they do as good of a job as any in terms of getting out of the way and just letting the music shine through.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by a6laze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know there's no such thing as a perfectly flat and neutral headphone but what I'm looking for is the next closest in line.

I think that if I can find such a headphone I would only need to own one headphone and that's exactly what I want: to reduce the clutter and hassle and just enjoy the music.

I do realize that the accentuation of certain frequencies for different genres of music may make the music sound more euphonic and enjoyable (think Grado) but that's not what I'm after in the long-term.

To put it simply, even if a coloured reproduction sounds better than a more accurate reproduction, I would go for the latter as I want my audio equipment to give me a close approximation of what was recorded. I could perhaps then use an EQ to tweak the sound thereafter.

I already own the HD650, K701, DT880 '05 (250), PK1 and ER4-S (placed in a custom shell) and I like the ER4-S customs the most.

These are my gripes with my existing phones:

The 650 is very comfortable and attractive but the sound is definitely coloured and veiled. I'm not keen on recabling as IMO it offers marginal improvements at a rather upscale price and does not change the basic sonic signature.

As for the 701, I don't like the fact that I've to up frequencies < 55hz by 5db for them to be listenable. I also have rather severe comfort issues with them--the oversized earcups and the pressure from the headband on the crown of my head. But the EQed 701 is still my currently preferred headphone.

The 880 '05 (250) has a very annoying and noticeable spike in the upper regions that I simply cannot tolerate. So off it went.

The PK1 is amazing given it's form factor but still cannot compare with high-end full-sized cans. Plus it has no isolation for portable use and I'd much rather use the circumaurals for home listening. So off it went too.

Lastly, the ER4-S customs. I've tried all the flagship universals from Shure, UE, Westone and none are to my liking. To me, it is the end of my IEM journey; no gripes with these at all. (maybe only the soundstage but that's an inherent limitation of the IEM form factor)

I've got the MX5021 for my multimedia speakers, nEar05 experience for my near-field monitors, and the ER4-S customs for IEMs. I'm only left with my full-sized headphone journey to complete now.

IMO the upper-tier cans like the ed9, gs1000, d7000, w5000, l3000, and r10 are all coloured.

I've never auditioned the staxes, qualia, orpheus, or the hd800 so can anyone shed some light?

Perhaps the ad2000 and the sa5000 are a little closer to my preferences?

What about the cd900st?

Thanks for bearing with my rather long banter.
normal_smile .gif

The Qualia are probably the most detailed dynamic headphone ever.. Very clear, great dynamics and speed. But you really need to find the right fit.
The DT48 and SA5000 share some characteristics, but overall isn't as good.

The DT48 offers higher fidelity, better mid range, more detail, more clarity, more speed, more transparent, better balanced, better timbre.

The SA5000 also is bright with a heavy emphasis in treble, and is lean.. The SA5000 bass has more impact, greater extension. The SA5000 has better vertical depth, and more 3d like.

Not saying the SA5000 is bad. The SA5000 is a very good headphone. I only sold mine cause the DT48 is a step up. I'm selling all my headphones since they lack the technical capabilities of the DT48. After listening to the DT48 over a lengthy period of time, I couldn't listen to anything else.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say the HD800. I know I'm not supposed to say that because some people will insist it's a FOTM, but I've heard (and own) a lot of top end headphones and I think they do as good of a job as any in terms of getting out of the way and just letting the music shine through.

They are really that neutral and transparent to be regarded as a serious monitoring tool?

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 38
HP-1000, K-1000, Stax 02, Qualia, apparently the HD800 (haven't heard them), K701, HD600, etc. There are many neutral phones.

The Etys have always sounded similar to the K-1000s. Not even close to competing but a similar neutral sound. However, the K-1000s have musicality in spades where the Etys could sound clinical.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

damnit. Ears i respect. How could you!?
ph34r.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are really that neutral and transparent to be regarded as a serious monitoring tool?

I don't know. They're pretty musical. Might make you forget what you're trying to do, if you actually have work on your mind!

I'd use the Stax 4070 for that task (monitoring, but I don't think that's what he's after here), which I think would be another contender in terms of the question posed here. They're uncolored and crystal clear, quick, and don't exaggerate anything (from highs to lows) and yet don't leave anything out of the sonic picture either. But they're not as involving as the HD800 for some reason.

The other one that comes to mind is the JH-13, which are quite the feat for in-ear monitors. They measure pretty flat and are neutral as far as I can tell (it was only a brief audition, so I could be wrong about that) but they're not at all boring (like the HP-1000). I've never heard IEMs that sound so much like full size headphones in terms of the sense of space and their ability to pick up subtle ambient cues.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #15 of 38
THAY BRAN, most of them aren't known to be neutral....
I'm sure there are exceptions. The HP1/2 are neutral aren't they? I'm not one to talk though. I've only heard them in my dreams.
biggrin.gif

KBI, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the A version more neutral?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back