What's the king of midrange?
Apr 28, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a lot of cans with very good midrange, theres never a one beats all headphone. It just depends what type of midrange your looking for I think, i.e. smooth/liquid, transparent, detailed, etc. From the cans i own though probably the K340, K240, W5k have midrange that I like, with the K340 being lush, K240 being emotional, W5k i cant really describe, its just there. The HD650 while good sounded there were cotton stuck up in my ear clouding stuff up.

I don't believe in smooth, liquid and musical, really. I think these are imprecise adjectives used to describe color in the mids, which is not what I'm looking for. I already have that. If I run across music that is boosted and/or harsh in the upper mids, I have some Senn 580s for that. What I'm looking for is an alternative that will get out of the way of good recordings. That, to me, is "good mids."

If that confession of personal dogma doesn't do it, transparent, detailed and slightly forward are the adjectives I'd use. And while I'm asking about mids, I'd like not to lose tight, authoritative bass and wouldn't mind picking up a bit of air in the trebles in the process, as long as it doesn't push into unnaturally bright. In other words, I want a Senn alternative, and I want it all. <$350 street.

Tim

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as long as it doesn't push into unnaturally bright.

I think this is where the K601 actually edges out the K701.

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

I don't believe in smooth, liquid and musical, really. I think these are imprecise adjectives used to describe color in the mids, which is not what I'm looking for. I already have that. If I run across music that is boosted and/or harsh in the upper mids, I have some Senn 580s for that. What I'm looking for is an alternative that will get out of the way of good recordings. That, to me, is "good mids."

If that confession of personal dogma doesn't do it, transparent, detailed and slightly forward are the adjectives I'd use. And while I'm asking about mids, I'd like not to lose tight, authoritative bass and wouldn't mind picking up a bit of air in the trebles in the process, as long as it doesn't push into unnaturally bright. In other words, I want a Senn alternative, and I want it all. <$350 street.

Tim

I think I understand you very well. IMO there are four things that tell you if midrange is right: Human voices, piano, tenor sax (and how you can differentiate it from an alto) and trumpet.

There are very few cans and speakers that I know that when reproducing a human voice you really feel the presence of a human being and you get "some doubts" there's a real person there singing or speaking. Even less that can do that and also portray the natural timbre of a piano and a sax. And even fewer that also can add to that mix a trumpet with the shinning power a real trumpet is capable of.
You can add more instruments like violin, but this is so influenced by the recording technique, that you must use very specific recordings "to know".

To me the true king of midrange is the bass-light Sony MDR-R10. Nothing, not even Stax electrostatics match it. They get good timbre, but lack the sheer power required for the trumpet illusion.

I agree with Uncle Erik that K701's midrange is nothing special, not one of their strong points. As a matter of fact IMHO it's their weakest point, specially in the higher midrange and how it blends to treble.

HD600 are correct nontheless, but lack the truthfulness, probably the resolution, to make a human voice trully believable, nor they can play an alto sax different from a tenor in the notes they share in their ranges. Also a bit muddy on the piano attacks.

From the cans I know, I'd say that the second best to the R10s are the Markl modded Denon D5000, once they burn-in and only mated with the right amp. On most amps I've tried them they don't sound bad, but don't get it right, or not as right as they can.

If the D2000, I guess modded too, were close to the D5000's performance, they could be the alternative to Senn's you're looking for.

Rgrds

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Tim

Audition a K601.

Apr 28, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #22 of 32
orthodynamic and some electrostatic headphones have a midrange accuracy and almost eerie realness that to my ear no dynamic headphone can approach. There may be more of a competition between driver types on other grounds, but in this area and perhaps in absolute detail resolution, planar drivers cannot be beat IMO.

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #25 of 32
SR-003, and perhaps AKG240M if memory serves me right.

These two have forward prominent midrange that is just addicting ....though at some expense of bass and treble. They just sound natural, I love them.

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

What I'm looking for is an alternative that will get out of the way of good recordings. That, to me, is "good mids."

AKG K1000

If you only use it for good recordings, this is a good headphone for what you describe.

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #27 of 32
[size=medium]The Senn HD600 can sound very sweet with the right cable. The Cardas cable elevates the audio quality equally throughout the frequency range. The Stefan AudioArt cable really sweetens the mids and brings them forward. With this cable, the effect is that an audio spotlight is cast on any singer(s) or lead instruments in the midrange.

These descriptions are about the older version of the HD600. I understand there is a newer version that is quicker and more detailed. As much as I loved the AudioArt cable with the HD600, I would have preferred more detail.

I wonder what the HD600 with an APS V3 cable would sound like. The silver portion of the V3 cable should bring enhanced cripness, augmenting the details. The copper core should help to enhance the bass.
cool.gif
[/size]

Apr 29, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #28 of 32
This was easy for me. The Ad2000 and my yammy. Not the last word in soundstaging or freq extension but the mid range is flowing, musical, liquid, andd transparent. Dynamics could be better but I have a suspicion that if I upgrade my source that will improve several levels. Stax 404 was great and so I'm guessing the happy O2 owners are right.

Apr 29, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #29 of 32
Well for your pricerange which you stated on page 2, I would also seriously recommend you would try out the k601. If you still don't want any grados, you should indeed look at the K1000's and Denon's. Are you able to check them out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back