What's the fastest speed you've traveled in a car?
Feb 16, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #106 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Displayman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ask any of the guys who have been with me on any road trip and they will tell you that I was one of the fastest cars they ever rode in. I even got a ticket for 135 and reckless driving when I was out of the car for more than 30 minutes in Indy parked with 250 other Ferrari's and in my room when the State Troopers banged on my door and asked me to come out and see the Sargent. 20 Police Cars around my car and I was not even in it.

The President of the Ferrari Club said take the ticket or they will tow your car and you will miss tomorrows Formula One Race.... So I did...and that was an inproper ticket since I was not in the car when they found me and I was not speeding on the way back from dinner. But I took the ticket anyway and that cost me $3,000.00 per year surcharge for three years for that ticket. The Lesson here is fight all tickets ..... Displayman

That is awesome. And kudos on the Maranello, I've always appreciated that car; a gentleman's Ferrari.

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #107 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hitting those kinds of speeds on a bike is really really dumb. I'd hate to see what would happen if something went wrong and you fell wearing bike shorts/t-shirt and a bike helmet at 50mph. Not to mention bike tires and brakes are not rated for those kinds of speeds and could fail at any second.

That being said i've hit 40mph before going downhill when I was younger. It was a lot of fun but I nearly lost it and had I fallen it would be many a skin graft in the hospital..I quickly realized how stupid I was being.

I'm not sure about the tyre rating business- I'm pretty sure road bike tyres would be fine at those sort of speeds. I also seem to remember back in the early 90s on the Reebok Eliminator mountain bike downhill people were hitting about 60 (although they were wearing body armour it has to be said!). Myself, fastest I ever rode was down a forest fireroad, but my mountain bike ran out of gears at 39mph.
mad.gif
I really need to get that 44T chainring...

Feb 18, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #108 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not as impressive as some of you dumb butts, but 135mph is pretty good for a MINIVAN!

really, 200mph? you're insane!

I think 135 in a MINIVAN is at least as insane as 200 in a Ferrari. Was it while on the phone with five screeming kids in the back, late to soccor practice?

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #110 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobayrasta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
180 on a GSXR1000 not exactly a car but wow I scared the **** out of myself!

Never again. I try to stay below 120mph now!

135 MPH in my '95 Pontiac Formula - beat the crap out of a Rustang - he backed off on a sweeping curve and I kept going.

But last summer on my GSX-R600 here's what I did on an empty little stretch of I-?? early one Sunday morning. The speedometer is calibrated to a GPS with a device called a Speedo-Healer, so it's pretty close to actual speed (I'd guess within 2%). It has a top speed memory function. The speed wasn't the fun part. Starting in first gear from a rolling 50 MPH start was more of a thrill. I don't think I hit sixth gear on this run until I backed off the throttle to coast down to a more reasonable 100 mph.
Top.jpg

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #112 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
0 RPMs and in neutral?
blink.gif

Many sportbikes allow you to scroll thru max. RPM & max. speed after you've stopped. Allows you to keep your eyes where they need to be at that speed!

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #113 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
0 RPMs and in neutral?
blink.gif

I'm sure the tach was reading over 13,000 RPM at the time, as I was in fifth gear, not sixth. It's not something you pay attention to when you're going that fast.

If you look at the picture, to the right of the neutral light and under the time, there's a shift light that I typically program to 15,000 RPM. That can be seen in peripheral vision more easily than the tach.

As I stated, I used the top speed memory function. The speedo-healer device is designed to allow you to calibrate your bike's speedometer, as stock calibration is often off by as much as 10%. It also allows you to compensate for tire wear, sprocket changes, etc. There is on-board flash memory that saves all of your settings. Including top speed since the last reset.

http://www.speedohealer.com/eng/intro.htm

I sure as he** wasn't gonna' take a picture at 149 mph. My hands, eyes, ears, feet and brain were otherwise occupied.

Feb 18, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #114 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not as impressive as some of you dumb butts, but 135mph is pretty good for a MINIVAN!

really, 200mph? you're insane!

Id be crapping my pants if I went over 100 in a minivan
tongue.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #115 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flumoxed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Id be crapping my pants if I went over 100 in a minivan
tongue.gif

The only reason for that much speed in a mini-van is if they were late for their kid's soccer game.

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #118 of 124
My '92 Firebird with a tired 3.1L V6 would do about 135mph.

My '92 Katana 600 with a two-tooth smaller rear sprocket would do about 142mph.

The fastest I've ever been was about 152mph in a friends '89 Formula 350.

Feb 19, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #119 of 124
If we can talk about bikes, how about snowmobiles?

2004 Arctic Cat Firecat 700 EFI Nightfire Edition
BMP Stealth Pipe
ODS Clutch Kit
D&D Y Pipe
Speedwerx Fuel Control Kit
41PSI at WOT
142 Woody's Stuboy Studs

Will do 120mph and 0-60 in about three seconds if it hooks up. Faster to 100 than 99% of cars out there, and the majority of bikes. 470lbs, 160+HP, and 144 metal studs to help it get going. I never thought I could enjoy a machine so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back