What's the difference here?
Jan 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Semus

New Head-Fier
I'm new to this "headphone amp" thing so this might be a stupid question.

To me, these look like completely different products for completely different uses. However, they are both labeled as "headphone amplifiers".

Could someone explain the difference? Maybe I am missing something?

http://tinyurl.com/7fk2ees    and    http://tinyurl.com/7hoykbk

Now, it looks to me as if one is just a simple desktop amp and the other is meant for a studio setup and microphone inputs (although it looks as if it also has a standard 1/4" input in the back for another source).

Again, it's probably a stupid question, but I'd appreciate any info I can get. Mobility and space are not a requirement for my setup.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 8
The differences are tremendous.  Sure, they will both amplify a signal into headphones.  But, there are many differences.  I'll let others chime in more with their experience using these particular items, but they both likely have very different topologies, or approaches, to how they amplify the signal.  Also, it appears one is for studio use and mixing, and one is used for portable, personal use.

Quote:
I'm new to this "headphone amp" thing so this might be a stupid question.

To me, these look like completely different products for completely different uses. However, they are both labeled as "headphone amplifiers".

http://tinyurl.com/7fk2ees    and    http://tinyurl.com/7hoykbk

Now, it looks to me as if one is just a simple desktop amp and the other is meant for a studio setup and microphone inputs (although it looks as if it also has a standard 1/4" input in the back for another source).

Again, it's probably a stupid question, but I'd appreciate any info I can get. Mobility and space are not a requirement for my setup.

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 8
I suppose I should explain my reason for asking.

I'm looking for an amp to run the K702's properly. I do have a Kenwood receiver, but I believe that others have said that using a receiver is not particularly useful for amplifying these things properly.

So, if space were not an issue (plus the fact that I use a microphone at times) would the bigger of the two amplify them properly? And yes, I do have a small setup where the bigger "studio" amp might come in handy.

There might be several different reasons as to why I should not even think about using that big monster and go for the smaller desktop headphone amp. I just don't know what those reasons are.

I might just forget about either one and go for the E9/E7 combo. I just haven't made up my mind as to how I want to power these K702's. I'm looking for as many options as possible before I make my purchase.

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The FiiO E10 is a simple but reasonable quality USB DAC + amplifier that works best with relatively low impedance headphones. It is most useful if you have a computer with on-board audio only. The Behringer HA4700 is an amplifier only (no DAC), and is designed for studio use. As an amplifier, it has more functionality, and can power up to 4 headphones (a feature that is not necessarily useful for you). According to the specs, it can output higher voltage than the E10 (more than 7 Vrms without load), but has a high (~50 Ohm) output impedance, and is relatively noisy. Therefore, it is better suited for higher impedance (>= 250 Ohm) headphones.

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 8
If you want specifically an amplifier, then the E9 is a good option. It lacks the extra features of the HA4700, but is similarly powerful with high impedance headphones, and has a lower (~10 Ohm) output impedance, which makes it better suited for the K70x. If you do need a DAC, then the E10, or especially the new E17, is not bad either.

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 8
Are you talking about the 701s, or all cans in general?  If cans in general, I disagree.  Receivers are very competent at amping headphones (most of the time).

Quote:
I I do have a Kenwood receiver, but I believe that others have said that using a receiver is not particularly useful for amplifying these things properly.

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 8
The PC I have has a sound card that came with it. The sound card is a SupremeFX X-Fi. I don't know what difference that makes, if any. I do know that it's a surround sound card. Not sure which output I could use to connect to an external amp, but I'm sure I could figure it out :)

Are sound cards usually amplified in some way?

Keeping in mind that I do have that sound card, would the E9/E7 combo be sufficient?

Actually, I don't really need the E7 at all since traveling is virtually non-existent in my life, so I might just go for the E9 by itself, or go with the EF2A. Ugh! 

I just don't know what would be better for my setup...

Jan 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #8 of 8
Yes, I'm speaking of the K701 - 2's. I would rather not spend money at all if my receiver were able to handle them properly.

Quote:
Are you talking about the 701s, or all cans in general?  If cans in general, I disagree.  Receivers are very competent at amping headphones (most of the time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back