Whats the deal with these amps
Jan 26, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #61 of 86

Quote:
I only put it that way, because my pc sound is actually fine.  There's no background noise and its actually quite powerful. Usually have the volume around 25%.

My Sony laptop is really good with IEMs too - no noise, no hiss, my ears give up long before I hear distortion, etc - and that's why I'm not buying an amp or a DAC-Amp for lugging around. Can't say the same for my very old Toshiba from college though, but it was a Celeron workhorse with no pretense for entertainment. I do however have a separate audio-only set-up, so for anyone who primarily uses their computer as a server, even those who go out and about with a laptop, I can't argue on why they'd need it. So in my case, aside from having the luck of a good laptop soundcard*, it's a financial policy - if I'm gonna blow my money on gears, most of it will be only main rig, and the others I'll have to accept the compromises. Heck, it's not like I can tap my feet and close my eyes at work.

*something I never consider when buying since I go for the cheapest one, and now the cheapest with acceptable 3D graphics at the time of purchase, and each one lasted four years with me

Quote:
Lets say that it was not a poor amp, but two good ones in a row.  Would the sound quality be degraded then?  Think a Burson into WA6 or something.

That's going to end up with an obvious sound contrast. Tubes tend to sound a lot different. But while amps tend to sound different, even if both solid state or both tubes or both hybrid, the point there is "sidegrade" and "diminishing returns." This particular $250 amp may be better than no amp at all, and another $250 amp may be technically different but is the preference of others; then you have a $500 amp, which isn't surprising that is a lot better than no amp than the other amps were, but the jump from those two amps to this one may not be that much more in terms of performance. Question is, is that little jump worth it? There's never any straight Yes or No to this - it depends on what it builds on over the compromises on the cheaper amp. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #62 of 86
I guess what I am getting at is lets assume my computers DAC and Amp are very good (I personally think they are).  If I wanted simply more power with a dedicated amp, am I going to be reducing sound quality by running it right outta the line out into an amp?

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #63 of 86
No, I don't think so. Especially using the line out, rather than a headphone out.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #65 of 86

Quote:
Sorry, I meant the headphone out.  That is the only analogue out on my computer.

Could go either way;
you might like what you hear, i.e. a tighter, more focused sound.
or
might not like what you hear, a good head amp with a good damping factor, etc. might let you hear the weaknesses in your PC headphone jack

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #66 of 86
The whole purpose of it would be to provide more power to adequately power the headphones, since its common opinion around here some headphones sound dull without them which I have yet to hear).

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #67 of 86

Quote:
The whole purpose of it would be to provide more power to adequately power the headphones, since its common opinion around here some headphones sound dull without them which I have yet to hear).

technically:
low efficiency headphones need more power, and more power should just get you more volume.
low impedance phones need more current, and more current will get you more volume
high impedance phones need more voltage, more voltage will get you more......I think you got the idea

with most headphones, an amp with a lower output impedance should give you tighter, more controlled, punchier bass
wink_face.gif

but more power removes the dullness from some phones?   If it is "true", I'd like to hear the technical explaination for that!

personally, I have no doubt you can buy poor sounding amps and bad sounding amps, but I don't see what more or less power has to do with better or worse sound unless you are running out of power!

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #68 of 86
Even an ipod has more volume than I would ever need with the HD580.  The only exception I could think would be maybe classical music.

The thing is I have heard an AMP which has an output voltage of 10V and my ipod which has something alot smaller - maybe 1-3V.  Despite this, I could never tell the difference with the HD580.  Sounded identical.

Maybe there is tiny differences I cannot hear, but to say a dedicated amp makes a headphone sounding flat and boring out of an ipod to being an awesome headphones to me seems ridiculous.   I read that all the time around here.

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #69 of 86

Quote:
My big problem is with the amps I have had and hear no difference, other people made all these claims on how great they are. Yet I was the only one with an actual test to back up what I heard.  You can see how I am skeptical.  Maybe its the headphone I use, but yet again I have heard many go on about how much of a difference an amp makes with the hd580/600.

Yep... similar thing happened to me when comparing amps... (made a thread last year: http://www.head-fi.org/t/564610/is-it-my-ears-p-amp-differences ) If you want to hear a real difference, GET A DIFFERENT PAIR OF CANS! :p
That would be my suggestion...

As the answer to your question (What is a good amplifier then without spending more than its worth for placebo affect?): the one is, whichever is the one YOU like!

If you are satisfied with the output of your iPod, then you are good to go!
I'm quite satisfied with my Icon HDP for home usage and my JDSLabs c421 for portable use.
They both drive my headphones properly and I enjoy the volume, the 'fullness', etc, I get with them and that's what you should look for, which one will you enjoy the most.! 

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #70 of 86

Quote:

Yep... similar thing happened to me when comparing amps... (made a thread last year: http://www.head-fi.org/t/564610/is-it-my-ears-p-amp-differences ) If you want to hear a real difference, GET A DIFFERENT PAIR OF CANS! :p
That would be my suggestion...

As the answer to your question (What is a good amplifier then without spending more than its worth for placebo affect?): the one is, whichever is the one YOU like!

If you are satisfied with the output of your iPod, then you are good to go!
I'm quite satisfied with my Icon HDP for home usage and my JDSLabs c421 for portable use.
They both drive my headphones properly and I enjoy the volume, the 'fullness', etc, I get with them and that's what you should look for, which one will you enjoy the most.! 

Can you honestly say you can tell a difference between the HDP and an ipod?  I was looking at the HDP.   Would you put it to a blind test to to prove it? Thanks.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #71 of 86
Well it's pretty easy for me since I DON'T have an iPod! :p
All of my PMPs are from Archos (European company).

As you might or might not know, they have a regulation over there and audio companies
need to actually LOWER their players volume. So a side by side of an iPod (US) and an
Archos you will actually detect pretty fast.

Getting that out of the way, my Archos can barely make  the HD600s achieve a full enough
sound (volume) for ME personally to enjoy. Once connected through the Icon HDP, I can drive the
phones to a level I actually like and get better details and clarity.

Can I perceive differences between my portable amp and the Icon HDP.
YES I can BUT they are indeed minimal. I wont shower you with words like soundstage, positioning,
bla bla bla I will just tell you what is EASILY perceived.
The HDP is a bit brighter (in fact once paired with my Shure SRH940s I cannot stand it!) while the
c421 is more warmer (the same headphones are better on this one and this portable amp has a
"bass boost" function which works wonders with those 940s!)

You might ask: then why the heck did you buy a c421 and the HDP which is way more expensive anyway?!?!

And my answer is... FUNCTIONALITY :wink:

With the HDP I can connect my computer via USB, DVD/CD player via coax/opt and my cheapo turntable via RCA
all at the same time. Also, this one is not portable... the c421 is and since my Archos 7 cannot drive my D5000s
to a level I LIKE, I needed it.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #74 of 86

Quote:
I should get a WA3.  At least if it doesn't sound any diff than my ipod, it is gorgeous lol.

Now THAT is funny!
tongue_smile.gif

Have you ever thought about getting a good DAC?
Or have you ever tried a good DAC?
Quote:

You might ask: then why the heck did you buy a c421 and the HDP which is way more expensive anyway?!?!

And my answer is... FUNCTIONALITY :wink:

With the HDP I can connect my computer via USB, DVD/CD player via coax/opt and my cheapo turntable via RCA
all at the same time. Also, this one is not portable... the c421 is and since my Archos 7 cannot drive my D5000s
to a level I LIKE, I needed it.

That is basically why I bought an iBasso D12:
functionality and the DAC in the iBasso sounds a lot better than the DAC in my computer!

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #75 of 86
I'm amazed that our forum members have endured this long largely on amicable terms...something of a testament to the head-fi board.

But if the OP insists that he can hear no difference with/without a headphone and yet persists in bludgeoning our belief that a headphone amplifier might provide ANY sonic improvement, what do we have to offer him?

It seems as though he is motivated by something other than seeking kind advice.

Indeed the OP is titled Whats (sic) the deal with these amps.  That sounds fairly provocative and accusatory to me...dare I call it trollish?

-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back