Whats the deal with these amps
Jan 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #16 of 86

Quote:
You often hear around here so many headphones are dull or boring without expensive 500 dollar amps, but there is never any blind testing to prove it.  I am willing to bet that most people could not tell a difference with an hd800 out of an ipod and an expensive amp.  Yet people rave on about equipment when they first hear it.  Placebo affect.  Where are the blind tests?

I'll take you up on that.

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #17 of 86
I'm with you there, I'm not that impressed with the sound out of an iPod into a good set of cans.
For example:
Try driving a pair of 600 ohm 'phones with an iPod.

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #18 of 86

Quote:
I'm with you there, I'm not that impressed with the sound out of an iPod into a good set of cans.
For example:
Try driving a pair of 600 ohm 'phones with an iPod.

Have you blind tested?  I have and it proved there was no difference.

Quote:
The two devices used were the Audio gd Sparrow Basic Optical and my intel DP35DP High definition audio onboard sound.  Two 320 kbps mp3 files were used on the test.  There was 8 runs conducts, and each time I was asked to identify the source.  Sennheiser HD580's were used.

Results:

D = Audio gd Sparrow
MB = Onboard Intel High Definition Audio
Template: Run #: (source) - (my guess)

Run 1: MB - MB
Run 2: MB - MB
Run 3: MB - D
Run 4: MB - D
Run 5: D  - MB
Run 6: D- D
Run 7: D - MB
Run 8: D - MB

5/8 of the tests I guess incorrectly.  To add onto this, I was not confident at all about my guesses.

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #19 of 86
Interesting results to be sure. 

Would be curious to see it between an iPod and a dedicated amp. Also would be curious to see it with more test runs. (the source being 4 and 4 is a bit odd for a test like this, I would also like to see some randomization)

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #20 of 86

Quote:
I had an audio gd sparrow,which was very powerful (I rarely had it past 9 o clock), but it still sounded no different than my ipod.

That does not mean it is powerful. How can you complain about expensive amplifiers if you don't even know how they work?

If you are so content with you iPod, why do you even bother bringing up this question?

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #21 of 86
Just like what was mentioned earlier in the thread:

If you can hear a positive difference between amps, you go one way.  You buy all kinds of amps trying to find that "perfect" one.

If you can't hear a positive difference, you go the other way.  You stick with what you like that's in your budget, be it iPod or small portable amp or whatever.  

There's no fault in either direction.  To jump in and say that higher-end amps are or aren't worth it is pointless because nobody can hear what somebody else hears.  

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #22 of 86
If you think we are imagining things with expensive amps, you may be correct. I have decided to see a psychologist next week to have myself examined. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #23 of 86

Quote:
Have you blind tested?  I have and it proved there was no difference.

Inappropriate comment deleted.

My sincere apologies if I offended anyone.

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #24 of 86
Top-of-the-line amps without any meaningful distortion, channel crosstalk, output impedance issues etc. ought to be indistinguishable.

A volume-matched, blind comparison of two amps will lay to rest most of the claims made by the "golden ears" in these forums.  Try it at a head-fi meet sometime: it's not difficult to do and it will be an eye-opening  (and painful) experience for some.

Of course this does not apply in comparing an iphone/ipod headphone out to a discrete headphone amplifier for a high-end headphone.  That's a cavalier proposition for even the most ardent "audiophile objectivist."  The difference is quite distinct and I would be more than willing to accept a $500 challenge.

-Matt

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #25 of 86

Quote:
Top-of-the-line amps without any meaningful distortion, channel crosstalk, output impedance issues etc. ought to be indistinguishable.

A volume-matched, blind comparison of two amps will lay to rest most of the claims made by the "golden ears" in these forums.  Try it at a head-fi meet sometime: it's not difficult to do and it will be an eye-opening  (and painful) experience for some.

Of course this does not apply in comparing an iphone/ipod headphone out to a discrete headphone amplifier for a high-end headphone.  That's a cavalier proposition for even the most ardent "audiophile objectivist."  The difference is quite distinct and I would be more than willing to accept a $500 challenge.

-Matt

What is a good amplifier then without spending more than its worth for placebo affect?

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #26 of 86

Quote:
What is a good amplifier then without spending more than its worth for placebo affect?

Your best bet is to go into the DIY route where you can analise every component. Get involved with the DIY community. Get a soldering iron and build and experiment. Amp  dissection is very important and to learn about the components, voltages, rectification, sag, etc... is part of the amp universe. 

Also, do you play the guitar? Experiment with different tubes if you can and play around with different amps. If all amps were the same, all the guitarists would be playing solid state amps and not worry about anything. 

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #27 of 86

Quote:

Your best bet is to go into the DIY route where you can analise every component. Get involved with the DIY community. Get a soldering iron and build and experiment. Amp  dissection is very important and to learn about the components, voltages, rectification, sag, etc... is part of the amp universe. 

Also, do you play the guitar? Experiment with different tubes if you can and play around with different amps. If all amps were the same, all the guitarists would be playing solid state amps and not worry about anything. 

No desire to do any of that.  In fact I care very little about experimenting with audio equipment.  The only reason I am here is to get some great sound so I can do what I want - listen to music.

I haven't been visiting head-fi much the past year because I was satisfied.  But I got a little money now, so I am thinking of upgrading.  I will however never keep any equipment that I can not pass a blind test with.

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #30 of 86
My big problem is with the amps I have had and hear no difference, other people made all these claims on how great they are. Yet I was the only one with an actual test to back up what I heard.  You can see how I am skeptical.  Maybe its the headphone I use, but yet again I have heard many go on about how much of a difference an amp makes with the hd580/600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back