What's the deal with Alessandro Music Pro?
Aug 20, 2003 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kuma

Headphoneus Supremus
I could not find much on these pair except they are rare.

the same specs, drivers and chamber and cabling. How much could they be different from RS1?

Has anyone ABed RS1 and Music Pro?

these are supossedly for studio use. But, hard to imagin if anyone want to use RS1 for monitoring.
eek.gif

Aug 20, 2003 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 15
The MS Pro's are a more neutral voiced version of the Grado RS-1's. Not really sure how Allesandro does it, but I much prefer it over the RS-1. Rarely seen for sale used.

Aug 20, 2003 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
The MS Pro's are a more neutral voiced version of the Grado RS-1's. Not really sure how Allesandro does it, but I much prefer it over the RS-1. Rarely seen for sale used.

thanks jpelg.

So, the difference is rather huge, I take it? Sounds like it's closer to their HP line ?

Aug 20, 2003 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 15
The difference between the MSP and the RS1 is not really that large. Had a chance to compare again at the last Socal meet with the loaner pair of RS1s from Headroom, and found the same results as the last time Carlo brougt over a pair of RS1s, which is that the MSPs sound more filled in in the lower mids.
At the meet it was also apparent that the MSPs were a a bit more "forceful" overall, the highs have even more energy than the RS1s (with the same vol position). That might not be a good thing since it was just a bit more painful to listen to at times compared to the RS1. Overall I felt the MSP has a more solid sound, that gives a greater sense a presence (probably helped by the filled in mids), but that accentuates the up-frontness even more.

Aug 20, 2003 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by AC1
The difference between the MSP and the RS1 is not really that large. Had a chance to compare again at the last Socal meet with the loaner pair of RS1s from Headroom, and found the same results as the last time Carlo brougt over a pair of RS1s, which is that the MSPs sound more filled in in the lower mids.
At the meet it was also apparent that the MSPs were a a bit more "forceful" overall, the highs have even more energy than the RS1s (with the same vol position). That might not be a good thing since it was just a bit more painful to listen to at times compared to the RS1. Overall I felt the MSP has a more solid sound, that gives a greater sense a presence (probably helped by the filled in mids), but that accentuates the up-frontness even more.

Yikes!
That does not sound an improvement at all from RS1.
eek.gif

Which amps did you use for ABing?

Aug 20, 2003 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 15
The MSP is not really a cure for certain Grado traits. In a way it's better since it seems to just let a bit more though and with filled in mids more complete.

The amp used was the modded Sugden Headmaster.

Aug 20, 2003 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 15
How's the Music 2? It looks like an SR-325.

Aug 20, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by AC1
The MSP is not really a cure for certain Grado traits. In a way it's better since it seems to just let a bit more though and with filled in mids more complete.

The amp used was the modded Sugden Headmaster.

Filled in mids? Midrange is never a problem with RS1 except certain amps can make it that way.

Guess any mods can be good or bad. I'd definitely would have a problem with more pronounced frequency extremes, tho.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Aug 20, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 15
ditto kuma. The one thing I don't like about the RS-1's is that the midbass is exaggerated, creating a bloated sound compared to the more neutral HP-1000. I also never found the treble bright (and I hate brightness) when used with the Rega Planet/SCD-1 and Gilmore V2. If the MS-Pro were to solve this midbass bloat problem and create a more natural presentation I'd be all over them.

Aug 20, 2003 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 15
I usually find the RS-1's quite exaggerated in the lower frequencies. This can be tempered with better amps, but among quite a few amps (including a Carlo-modded Headmaster, a Gilmore v1, Meier Cord HA1, & RKV w/Impedanzer), the RS-1's never lost that propensity, and occasionally downright unmanagable. Best I ever heard the RS-1's were out of my 'old' OTL32.

The MS Pro's are much more "even-toned" across the spectrum, which may make them seem more "forward", when in fact, it is the RS-1's that are imbalanced.

The MS Pro's shift toward neutrality is not on the order of the classic (and more coveted) HP-1's, but enough of a difference to make me prefer the Alessandro's over the Grado's, hands down.

I still think both are over-priced at full retail, though.

Aug 21, 2003 at 1:01 AM Post #11 of 15
yes I agree with jpelg.

With less than adaquate equipment the rs-1s might be slightly more forgiving, but with very good to reference equipment, youre gonna want the msp's. Ive owned two pairs of both and it was appearent even on the wheatfield ha-2 and melos. On the cary it was a no brainer. Unlike DanG I thought the cary+msp's were an excellent combo.

k.s.

Aug 21, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by KShaft
yes I agree with jpelg.

With less than adaquate equipment the rs-1s might be slightly more forgiving, but with very good to reference equipment, youre gonna want the msp's. Ive owned two pairs of both and it was appearent even on the wheatfield ha-2 and melos. On the cary it was a no brainer. Unlike DanG I thought the cary+msp's were an excellent combo.

k.s.

hmm.. interesting.. interesting...
Well, time for me to listen and see.
RS1 is colored. But, can be sensibly controlled with amplifeirs. And Jpelg is right in that in certain combo, lowermids get to be out of hand. Altho, it sounds relatively pleasant with most anything, it does take a quite an effort and a very narrow equipment choice for RS1 to behave the way I like it.

Only short coming, to me, is its top end extension. It does sound chopped off no matter what's driving it.

I am hoping Alessandro would adress that. But it seems not bloody likely from what I am hearing from you guys.

Aug 21, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
The MS Pro's shift toward neutrality is not on the order of the classic (and more coveted) HP-1's, but enough of a difference to make me prefer the Alessandro's over the Grado's, hands down.

I still think both are over-priced at full retail, though.

I am surprised that John Grado Oked to mod his phones. I agree Grados somewhat lack in refinements. From that stand point, they are overpriced. <uneevn frequency across the band! unthinkable
very_evil_smiley.gif
>

Unfortunately, I can't find anything that approach their fun-ness, tho.

Aug 21, 2003 at 6:12 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma

Unfortunately, I can't find anything that approach their fun-ness, tho.

It is a fun pair of headphones to listen to because of its pace and drive. The hp1000s sound is tamer in comparison especially on first listen. But it has a way of not exagerating things where it just sounds natural. It reflects the personality of recordings/equipment much better, where the MSPs always seem to overlay its sound.
I still end up listening to the hp2s the most, even though swithching back to MSPs always gives an instant gratifying enjoy factor, but the traits of its sound does wear on you after so long.

Aug 21, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by AC1

I still end up listening to the hp2s the most, even though swithching back to MSPs always gives an instant gratifying enjoy factor, but the traits of its sound does wear on you after so long.

ah ha. Interesting insights to HP2s. I sorta figured that much. i.e. they are more civilised sounding than newer offerings from Grado.

So far, the effect hasn't worn off on me yet. I normally do not care for colored sounding gear, however, Grado, is an exception because they can do so many other things right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back