what's the current hotness for burn in? (skeptics need not enter)
Sep 28, 2010 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Soymilk

500+ Head-Fier
i just got a hd555 from the deal, and need to burn them in. what's everyone using nowadays? white/pink/brown noise?

also would i get in trouble for plugging a noise generator site here? it's my brother's site but it's really well done, been featured on lifehack and it's free.

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 23
Just listen to them for five hours, job done..
o2smile.gif
They ain't gonna get any better..

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 23
dont want this to turn into an argument as to whether or not burn-in works or what length of time it ceases to have any effect, i'm going to do it for many hours regardless since there's really no downside. either a) it works and sounds better, b) it placebo effects and i think it sounds better, which in the end is all that matters anyways, or c) it sounds the same. plus they're just sitting there at home not doing anything while im at work anyways.

so for those of you that do believe, what do you use?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 23
Sorry,i forgot people have to go to work.When your retired ,with all day to fill,you will find spending 10 hrs a day for a week,listening to a new pair of phones is good fun,they seem to get better every day.
tongue.gif
.I hope you get a sensible reply.

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 23
Most people seem to go with either pink noise or actual music, perhaps a bit louder than you'd normally listen at and with the bass EQ'd up.

Of the few decent cans I've had, I actually preferred letting the burn-in happen as I listened. That way you get to experience the change - which is usually for the better.

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 23
alright, pink noise it is. for those saying to let it burn in as you listen, my brother also has the hd555 and he'll be coming home this weekend but he's had his for a few months. he's skeptical of the differences removing the foam piece inside would make though so i want to have mine sufficiently burned in for when he's back so we can compare them.

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
Pink noise works!

(So does wishing really hard..).

But seriously, pink noise is the best and fastest.

Disagree myself.  I've seen and heard of bad pink noise experiences that include words like smoke and smoldering.  That was a car audio example btw. I'm a natural music burn-in guy.  You don't have to listen to them while the music plays FYI. Just start low and slow then ramp up.  Don't want clipping or distortion to hurt your phones at high volumes.  Don't exceed normal listening levels during burn. 

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #12 of 23
I just had music playing for 100hrs...

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 23
My Klipsch S4s just sounded different after around 40 - 50 hours, I had to stop and listen to a few reference songs I know really well one day because I noticed the change in sound to hear exactly what the difference was. More refined I guess, the bass not as muddy or boomy - they just sounded clearer and better - then they broke yesterday - the left cable moves in and out of the housing freely putting pressure on the connections so it went back today (under warranty). I will let my MS1 burn in the same way naturally - I'm not in a hurry. Something to look forward to.

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #14 of 23
short of cranking the volume to ridiculous levels and leaving it going, you shouldnt really be able to damage your headphones right? i cant believe the smoke/smoldering car audio example is due to just using pink noise, there must've been something else at play there right?

Sep 28, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 23

Lol, yeah, don't over do it.  That's why I said low and slow to start.  Didn't mean to scare you w/ the car example.  It was just pink noise but played at over 100db out of the box.  The system specs were more than adequate throughout the system.  Wasn't my idea btw.  
tongue_smile.gif
 The point is that pink noise is very aggressive and is not a natural presentation of sound that a speaker or headphone would normally be exposed to.  But that is the point.  Many believe this aggressiveness is the best way to destress the driver the fastest.  I'm not in a hurry and see no reason to chance it.  I personally believe there is a line between burn and damage I choose not to cross.  I have overstressed an IEM before and that went back.  Whether that was a manufacturing defect or my previous burn-in process is unknown.  Not enough scientific control and support to know.  Just inferential conclusions based on personal experience.  YMMV.

Quote:
short of cranking the volume to ridiculous levels and leaving it going, you shouldnt really be able to damage your headphones right? i cant believe the smoke/smoldering car audio example is due to just using pink noise, there must've been something else at play there right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back