whats the big deal with the iPod?
Sep 22, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #106 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamelBackCinema
Most people buy the ipod and are satisfied by it because size, style, simplicity. You can say whatever you want, you're just being stupid (not directed at you Ilikemusic) if you think that people are buying these products just because its the only one they know or because it "looks" cool. It is a quality product and that's PERIOD! All those other players are quality products too and to say that you wouldn't want all those fast functions that the ipod gives would be a lie.

??? What are these fast functions you are raving about? I've used my friend's iPod and it didn't seem significantly faster than my Karma. Actually, for several functions it was slower. Then again, you say iPod is smaller than Karma... it is not. It is thinner in a larger form factor. You like rectangular, I like square (must be the MiniDisc heritage or something), but iPod is not smaller, just thinner.

Then again... EQ is unimportant, gapless is unimportant. How can we discuss?

Sep 22, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #107 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
Then again... EQ is unimportant, gapless is unimportant. How can we discuss?

You're missing the point... any feature that the iPod lacks is 'unimportant'...
rolleyes.gif

Sep 23, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #108 of 124
Does it really matter if I like iPod as a 'brand' to anyone?

Nope...

Does it matter that I don't have a Karma, or any other DAP to anyone?

Nope...

Personal choice... fantastic idea... and something we all have...
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #110 of 124
Wow... I take a week off and all the kiddies are still arguing about this.
rolleyes.gif

Can we all just agree to disagree on this one?

It's rather childish and silly to get all riled up because the iPod is so popular. Who cares if people buy one without doing research, or becuase it's "trendy", or whatever??? Does it really affect your life that much?

As long as people have something that allows them to enjoy their music, it's all good
280smile.gif

Sep 23, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #111 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam
Wow... I take a week off and all the kiddies are still arguing about this.
rolleyes.gif

Can we all just agree to disagree on this one?

It's rather childish and silly to get all riled up because the iPod is so popular. Who cares if people buy one without doing research, or becuase it's "trendy", or whatever??? Does it really affect your life that much?

As long as people have something that allows them to enjoy their music, it's all good
280smile.gif

Excuse me if I like to take a side and discuss on a "forum." I guess we should all just play nice and be grown ups.

Sep 23, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #112 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamwillson001
i think that the ipod is only successful cos:

1. Apple are one of the only companies that commercially advertise their player, e.g on TV with the dancing people and on posters, with people.
How many posters do you see with iaudio or creative on? One i think.

2. As a result of this advertising, people get the word around, and many people then think that its the only mp3 player on the block.

3. I have an iaudio and my family always says: "Let me see you ipod" "can i have a listen of your ipod" "show them your ipod", and i always tell them its an iaudio

see what i mean, many people think of the "ipod" automaticalliy

people who any no idea about technology and want to buy an mp3 player autmoatically buy the ipod cos thats all they know about, unlike these other companies like cowon, etc.

confused.gif

You forgot that other than for the hard drive defect, it is one of the best DAPs you can buy.
rolleyes.gif

How about you offer a true rebuttal as to why the iPod is popular....

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #113 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by aki

eg, like having to press down on a joystick to select something (which i consider to be a very flawed control design, but its quite popular on the iRivers and alot of phones), you can easily mis-push at an angle and end up pushing the stick left/right/up/down instead. One of which could be cancel. Having to re-select and accidentally pressing cancel more than a few times, gets annoying, fast. Or the control panel on the iRiver... where pushing the stick "left" and "right", moves the selection up and down the list. Pushing up/down however, expands and contracts a tree. That's just plain counter-intuitive, and it gets to me everytime where i just give up on making whatever control panel changes i was originally after.

This part of your post couldn't be further from the truth. I'm holding an H120 in my hand right now. On the control panel, moving the joystick up/down moves the cursor up or down. Left/Right does nothing.

As for the "cancel" your talking of... there is no direction of the joystick given the function of "cancel".

Sep 24, 2004 at 9:16 AM Post #115 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
Okay, There are various reasons "why Ipod," but there's one, big, overwhelming one: ignorance of the masses!

Me: "Why'd you buy an Ipod?"
Person: "I wanted something that plays mp3s."
Me: "Why Ipod though?"
Person: "Huh?"
Me: "Why not the Rio Karma, or Iriver, etc, etc..."
Person: "You mean there's something other than the Ipod that plays mp3s?"

or.

Person: "Well, it's the best mp3 player."
Me: "Who told you that?"
Person: "What? It's common sense."

or.

Person: "Well, it looks cool."
Me: "But how about it having an insanely short battery life?"
Person: *blank stare* "Uh, it does? Well still, everyone has it, and it looks cool."

Just posting the real answers (not the fictive ones. Sorry Kyrie.):

You: "Why'd you buy an Ipod?"
Person: "I wanted something that plays mp3s & AACs."
You: "Why Ipod though?"
Person: "Huh?"
You: "Why not the Rio Karma, or Iriver, etc, etc..."
Person: "1st of all they're "ugly". 2ndly, you mean there's something other than the Ipod that plays AACs?"
You:
blink.gif

or.

Person: "Well, it's the best mp3 player."
You: "Who told you that?"
Person: "You did."
You:
blink.gif

or.

Person: "Well, it looks cool."
You: "But how about it having an insanely short battery life?"
Person: *blank stare* "Uh, it does? Ah well, still better than having a big "ugly" box that doesn't play AACs."
You:
blink.gif

or

You: "But..."
Person: "But what? Lossless? Have it."
You: "I..."
Person: "Has the cat got your tongue? You're really not going for aestethics at all, are you? Care about clothes, furniture, design? Anything?"
You: "*stutter, stutter*...mfff...
blink.gif
"

Sep 24, 2004 at 9:39 AM Post #116 of 124
...later the same evening:

You: "...mom, can I have a new mp3..."
Mummy: "Silence! I just bought you the crappy one you wanted. I've told you before: I'm not buying a new iPod! You could've had it but you blew it!"
You: "...but mom...*crying, sobbing*...please, my jealousy is killing me..."
Mummy: "If it doesn't, I will! Go to your room!"
You: Running screamin', sobbing to your room. Slammin' the door behind you, BLAM!!! You cry yourself to sleep & you don't feel better at all when you wake up in the morning. You just stare into space knowing your life really would be better...if you only had an ipod...

-the end

Sep 24, 2004 at 1:35 PM Post #118 of 124
I've been purposely staying away from this thread (which has quickly turned into childish squibbling) but now you've hooked me back in...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supsup
This part of your post couldn't be further from the truth. I'm holding an H120 in my hand right now. On the control panel, moving the joystick up/down moves the cursor up or down. Left/Right does nothing.

As for the "cancel" your talking of... there is no direction of the joystick given the function of "cancel".

In context of the rest of the message- i was referring specifically to the IFP series. And if i recall correctly, a similar control and UI is on the remote of the IHP series. At least i know theres only a left-right jogger, and the configuration screens are vertically listed (and expands on selection i think). "Cancel" was the "go back" button. I'm sure theres one of those. On the IFP, you hit "down" to go back. I just loaded up the config window on the IFP right now and i still got the wrong controls on the first two goes upon entering the config window.

Again, ease of use is not just about "how quick you learn it". I have no problem with learning how to use a gadget- i'm an engineer - but i've also designed user interfaces, and a design flaw encourages users to make mistakes. That's the problem here.

Anyway. Both players are great. There's two conversations going on here - one was questioning "i can't even fathom why anyone would ever want an ipod". That was answered. Some people took it to question, "why is the ipod the most popular", and then we got all sorts of theories about women, perfume, marketing, blah blah blah.

We have different needs, we have different uses, we have different hair cuts - we buy different players. And the world keeps turning 'round.

Sep 24, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #120 of 124
I had my heart set on an iPod,i was seduced by all the ad's...it looked lovely.I went out and had a look at an iRiver ihp-140 just to be sure,then went to look at an iPod...
eek.gif
i was SO dissapointed..it felt so cheap,i couldnt justify spending the money.I went back & got the iRiver..IMHO the right choice.Everybody has their own ideals/opinions...otherwise we would all have the same as everyone else.Anyway everyone enjoy what they bought & have fun
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back