whats the big deal with the iPod?
Sep 21, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #91 of 124
I bought the ipod solely on the basis that it was the icon of minimalism. Again, most members on this site have ipods. (Talking percentages) Every poll, ipod seems to come out on top. Now, these "educated" people understand that the ipod does have qualities that other players cannot offer. These characteristics are often missed and seem to be a very important part of an mp3 player. In this reasoning, I think that in terms of mp3 players most do the job but the features on the iRiver are unneeded (not missed) and the shape of the Karma is unwanted. But the ipod... everyone wishes everything was easy as the pod and everyone wishes the designs of other mp3 players were like the pod.

Interesting....

Sep 21, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #92 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamelBackCinema
But the ipod... everyone wishes everything was easy as the pod and everyone wishes the designs of other mp3 players were like the pod.

Well, I don't think that you can state that 'everyone' wishes their player was like the iPod, or that the features that the iPod is missing vs. other players are somehow unimportant but the features of the iPod that are missing in other players are somehow more important. That is a purely subjective issue and nothing more than a matter of opinion. For instance, until the iPod supports custom equalizer settings I don't want one at any price.

Sep 21, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #93 of 124
I have one because I wanted one...

End of really...

No-one can question my own judgement on a product that i'm using solely for myself
biggrin.gif

I must admit that the NJB3 is cooler in certain respects (from my month long audition of one) but the ipod fits in my pocket just fine, and has more than enough battery life for two days commuting back and forward to work... thats all I need (although, I must confess that i'd like a 3/4G iPod, so that I could use the AA battery adapter that plugs into the docking station slot...)

Sep 21, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #94 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic
Well, I don't think that you can state that 'everyone' wishes their player was like the iPod, or that the features that the iPod is missing vs. other players are somehow unimportant but the features of the iPod that are missing in other players are somehow more important. That is a purely subjective issue and nothing more than a matter of opinion. For instance, until the iPod supports custom equalizer settings I don't want one at any price.

Yes I can state that everyone wants quicker, more responsive, easy to use features on ANY kind of device. Who wouldn't? And yes, I can state that everyone would want a player that is lighter, better designed, smaller. If the Karma was released again but with 3 milimeters shorter on each dimension, by gosh, you'd want one over the "bigger" one. Don't give me this crap that it is all opinion or subjective.

Sorry about the EQ. I'll sell you my ipod, and only to you, for 5 bucks... still want it? Don't be arrogant and say EQ is that important to you.

Sep 21, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #95 of 124
Quote:

Don't give me this crap that it is all opinion or subjective.

LOL. Well, actually it is... but not always on this forum...
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Sorry about the EQ. I'll sell you my ipod, and only to you, for 5 bucks... still want it? Don't be arrogant and say EQ is that important to you.

Gee, yeah, OK... you're right. You certainly know better than I what features are important to me. I'll take you up on your deal for your iPod for $5. Please let me know how you want to complete the deal.

Sep 21, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #96 of 124
For 5 bucks, you'd become an ipod user too! OK? Yay for my point.
rolleyes.gif

You understand that wanting something smaller (if smaller is better... or bigger if bigger is better) in terms of portability, easier to use, better designed, more comfortable, and something that lasts is a natural desire of most people. It is not opinion...

Sep 22, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #98 of 124
Quote:

For 5 bucks, you'd become an ipod user too! OK? Yay for my point.

Yep, yay for your point. An iPod is worth about $5 to me, in fact to be fair I might even go as high as $10... you've really got me nailed here. I'm still waiting for details on how we are going to complete the transaction though... or are you going to welch on the deal?

Sep 22, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #99 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80
Remember when it came out? Do you have any memory of its competitors then?

Sure. I sold my 20 GB NJB to "downgrade" to the small 5GB iPod. And before that the Rio 300 & 500 were the standard with 32 and 64MB. That's of course not counting all the MiniDiscs that made MP3 players look silly... at first.

Sep 22, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #100 of 124
Oh snap! The kid thinks that I was being serious.

Once again, let me reiterate... the ipod has features that everyone wants in some form or another. They want "ease-of-use", compatibility, small design, light weight, wireless, reliability, durability.

Yes the other players have the same things and even excel in some areas. But the #1 reason why I got an Ipod and why most do on this forum (majority) is the fact that we cannot live without the easy user interface, quick scroll with the scroll wheel, the size, sound quality, and apple support. iTunes is more or less a good thing but I understand that software dependency is frowned upon by few. That's ok... I expect other companies like iRiver to give us plug and drop features. But all these things cannot account for the simplicity that the ipod brings. Most people buy the ipod and are satisfied by it because size, style, simplicity. You can say whatever you want, you're just being stupid (not directed at you Ilikemusic) if you think that people are buying these products just because its the only one they know or because it "looks" cool. It is a quality product and that's PERIOD! All those other players are quality products too and to say that you wouldn't want all those fast functions that the ipod gives would be a lie.

Sep 22, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #101 of 124
I'll have to confess to buying a 40GB 4G for my son this weekend. Had a chance to sit and play with it a bit, too. While I'd had some bias against the trendy player, I can indeed see where the popularity comes from. Slick little unit and I was tempted to take it with me but he was enjoying it so much I didn't have the heart.

Sep 22, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #102 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Sure. I sold my 20 GB NJB to "downgrade" to the small 5GB iPod. And before that the Rio 300 & 500 were the standard with 32 and 64MB. That's of course not counting all the MiniDiscs that made MP3 players look silly... at first.

My point was that the iPod really was the only choice for it's offerings for a while: the only things near its size were significantly less storage

It seems that I get the "Oh you have an iPod so you must not know much about the alternatives" when really there wasn't anything better for a while.

Oh and I most likely missed the point of your post.

Sep 22, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #103 of 124
I owned a PJB-100 for 4 years before it started to break down about a year ago. Last week, I replaced it with the iPod. To me, the PJB-100 was one of a kind, a truly luxury player that had a well thought out interface and great sound, way before the iPod craze. In fact, if I could get rid of the rather cheap looking (but solid) plastic housing, and make it smaller (it was the size of a paperback), I probably would have stuck with that player.

But, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

Sep 22, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #104 of 124
CamelBackCinema said:
You can say whatever you want, you're just being stupid (not directed at you Ilikemusic) if you think that people are buying these products just because its the only one they know or because it "looks" cool. It is a quality product and that's PERIOD! QUOTE]

I have issues with the ipod, however, I still feel it's a quality unit and I very nearly bought one....

I do disagree with your quote above because I've seen a lot of evidence that many people buy the ipod because it's the only one they know AND it looks cool. Remember that the common purchaser does not fit the demographic of the average head-fier.

DAP's "in the wild" are still relatively rare in my area. I know four people who have DAP's in my hometown. All four bought them without real research or knowing the alternatives. Ultimately, three persons ended up with an ipod, and one has a Creative Zen because the Best Buy guy convinced him into it (away from the ipod).

I have no doubt that many well researched audiophiles choose ipods for good reasons. However, they are not who Apple makes most of their money on.

Sep 22, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #105 of 124
i think that the ipod is only successful cos:

1. Apple are one of the only companies that commercially advertise their player, e.g on TV with the dancing people and on posters, with people.
How many posters do you see with iaudio or creative on? One i think.

2. As a result of this advertising, people get the word around, and many people then think that its the only mp3 player on the block.

3. I have an iaudio and my family always says: "Let me see you ipod" "can i have a listen of your ipod" "show them your ipod", and i always tell them its an iaudio

see what i mean, many people think of the "ipod" automaticalliy

people who any no idea about technology and want to buy an mp3 player autmoatically buy the ipod cos thats all they know about, unlike these other companies like cowon, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back