What's the best way to make those rectangles is cases?
May 28, 2009 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

scytheavatar

Headphoneus Supremus
So far I am using drill holes -> file, and the filing part can get really annoying, especially when you need to be careful of not scratching your case. So does anyone have a better idea as to how you can make those rectangles for your IEC sockets and buttons easily and quickly?

May 28, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 12
With the tools available to you, that is really the only way.

May 28, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 12
There are square chassis punches available (sometimes called a conduit punch) but they don't usually come in the right size for an IEC jack.

Do you have a jigsaw? If so, you can use a fine toothed metal blade to carefully trim inside the outline of the hole you need to make. You'll still need to file it smooth and square, but it'll be a lot less work than filing round holes into square ones.

If you're worried about nicking or scratching your chassis, put masking tape or that blue painter's tape around the area you're working. The painter's tape is a little better because it'll usually come off without leaving residue behind.

May 28, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Youd be really surprised how many things you can do with nothing more than a dremel

And the new monster fiberglass cutting wheels - just awesome.

May 28, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 12
A dremel. Hands down the easiest and cheapest option if you don't intend to do a lot of cases. If you do, a cleaner option would probably be better, but the dremel is still good. That or you can just (carefully) drill holes and use a hacksaw by running the blade through the whole and then attaching it to the handle.

May 28, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A dremel. Hands down the easiest and cheapest option if you don't intend to do a lot of cases. If you do, a cleaner option would probably be better, but the dremel is still good. That or you can just (carefully) drill holes and use a hacksaw by running the blade through the whole and then attaching it to the handle.

I was going to get one of the new dremel 400iXPR kits for casework but reviews I read said they have problems with heat severe enough for motor burnout. Someone pointed me to Proxxon tools as a better quality and similar priced product. Anybody have an opinion on the micromot 50

PROXXON

May 28, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #11 of 12
I'll be using my step drill bit followed up with either a dremel or my rotozip with carbide cutters. My case is aluminum so no sparks
smily_headphones1.gif

I have to cut a bunch of 1" holes in the lid as well as IEC socket etc on the back and also cut out the baseplate to lower it so my boards fit. It's a 2" high case so just a bit too shallow for standoffs and heatsinks together.

May 28, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaydeltax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those tools sure do look cool. I gave up on Dremel when mine started shooting sparks out from its side.

I know - they seem less like toys than do the new dremels and they are similarly priced in Canada. I have a Proxxon Micromot 50 on order at a local model shop. When it arrives and I have given it a try I will post a review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back