What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
Jan 9, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #1,052 of 1,260
Bit offtopic, but here it goes.
Anyone here have Vovox excelsus Power 100? Do you like it for source? How flexible it is?
Thanks.
Difficult to gauge how it would be, theres no cross section of the cable or spec listings. The connectors are the second cheapest of the furutech line.

Seems way overpriced for what it is though.

Theres alot of good options on aliexpress for power cables though for very reasonable prices.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aliexpress-cables.963919/page-267#post-17908989

Ask in this thread.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #1,053 of 1,260
Ok, thanks! Perhaps somewhere down the road, but I made a mistake; I forgot one cable :)

So, I have two cables, Cinnamon to Mac (Apple Music) and Carbon to CD transport, which have different signature sounds. I wanted a clear and bright sound with CD transport so that Burson's signature sound remains the same.
I chose Cinnamon to get a different sound in the second line.
After reading the above, do you still think I might get something with Pearl?
I guess Perl might sound "like" Carbon, but Carbon is level up, right?

Cheers!
I have perhaps a naive question, I am also looking for a good quality USB cable for my system.
This is not a “bits are bits” question but I would seriously like to understand the physics involved.

I accept that all these various USB cables sound different, e.g. better soundstage, deeper bass, more detailed midrange, etc. As an example, if cable A has a better midrange than cable B; as the data 1’s and 0’s travel through the cable (as an analog signal of course) how does the cable discriminate particular bits that represent say a 1/44,000 of a midrange signal from all the other bits so it can be treated differently?

It seems to me that if a particular cable attenuates a signal in some way, all the bits in the signal would be similarly effected, unless the cable “knew” that certain bits would become a part of a low frequency sound or a high frequency sound. But as all the bits are streaming at the same rate, and each one represents a minute fraction of a complex (e.g. full orchestral work) waveform, how does this effect happen?

Thanks for any clarification on this.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #1,054 of 1,260
I have perhaps a naive question, I am also looking for a good quality USB cable for my system.
This is not a “bits are bits” question but I would seriously like to understand the physics involved.

I accept that all these various USB cables sound different, e.g. better soundstage, deeper bass, more detailed midrange, etc. As an example, if cable A has a better midrange than cable B; as the data 1’s and 0’s travel through the cable (as an analog signal of course) how does the cable discriminate particular bits that represent say a 1/44,000 of a midrange signal from all the other bits so it can be treated differently?

It seems to me that if a particular cable attenuates a signal in some way, all the bits in the signal would be similarly effected, unless the cable “knew” that certain bits would become a part of a low frequency sound or a high frequency sound. But as all the bits are streaming at the same rate, and each one represents a minute fraction of a complex (e.g. full orchestral work) waveform, how does this effect happen?

Digital noise from ground plane leakage, phase noise and EMI/RFI enter the system and cable, and are incorporated into the signal, which affects sound quality. That is the explanation I have heard.

Regardless of why, the sound quality is definitely impacted by USB and ethernet cables, IME.

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #1,055 of 1,260
Digital noise from ground plane leakage, phase noise and EMI/RFI enter the system and cable, and are incorporated into the signal, which affects sound quality. That is the explanation I have heard.

Regardless of why, the sound quality is definitely impacted by USB and ethernet cables, IME.
I think as you say, this is one of those areas of audio where folks will say the common things, 1s' and 0s' cables make no difference. Then there are the folks who hear a difference in the sound with different cables, or maybe perceive is a better word, in fact, I believe I have heard this difference and am now in the camp of "some" cables, power supplies, etc, can impact your system.

As I remind everyone it's your ears If you hear it and enjoy what you hear, don't let anyone tell you differently! If you don't hear it...

Return it.... And then try something else, :beerchug:

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 11, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #1,056 of 1,260

My knowledge is not perfect, but Usb also has a 5v power cable inside together with the Signal.

Curious and Supra and I believe Audioquest tries to Shield or separate the volt cable.

And I've heard that Usb doesn't have error check-ing compared to other digital cables.
But I'm not sure.

But I'm sure that the Supra Excalibur has very nice lift in sound quality, nothing but a game changer...

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #1,057 of 1,260

I completely agree that the quality of the cable is important, better shielding, connectors, conductors and overall better construction are necessary to reduce distortion by transporting a "cleaner" signal.

That being a given, if one cable sounds better in, say, the bass reproduction than another, and the first cable is found to have poorer construction, my question stands. How does the EMI/RFI interference know to effect only particular bits that are part of the bass reproduction of the waveform?

My point being, without a doubt a better quality cable will allow for a more accurate reproduction of the waveform overall, but when one points out that one cable has better sound quality in regards to a particular frequency range than another, how is that possible?

Perhaps this is not a cable effect but a DAC effect. A particular DAC may treat a differently attenuated or "dirtier" signal cable differently than another by perhaps enhancing the midrange, for example, whereas another DAC is unaffected because it has better clocking, isolation, power supply, firmware, etc. If this is the case, the only way to declare that one cable is better than another for deeper bass, better soundstage, etc. is to consider it applicable only to the equipment its connected to.

So, there would not be warmer or better resolution cables in general, but rather, cables that attenuate the signal differently and effect particular DACs in a particular way?

Jan 11, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #1,058 of 1,260
I completely agree that the quality of the cable is important, better shielding, connectors, conductors and overall better construction are necessary to reduce distortion by transporting a "cleaner" signal.

That being a given, if one cable sounds better in, say, the bass reproduction than another, and the first cable is found to have poorer construction, my question stands. How does the EMI/RFI interference know to effect only particular bits that are part of the bass reproduction of the waveform?
My point being, without a doubt a better quality cable will allow for a more accurate reproduction of the waveform overall, but when one points out that one cable has better sound quality in regards to a particular frequency range than another, how is that possible?

Perhaps this is not a cable effect but a DAC effect. A particular DAC may treat a differently attenuated or "dirtier" signal cable differently than another by perhaps enhancing the midrange, for example, whereas another DAC is unaffected because it has better clocking, isolation, power supply, firmware, etc. If this is the case, the only way to declare that one cable is better than another for deeper bass, better soundstage, etc. is to consider it applicable only to the equipment its connected to.

So, there would not be warmer or better resolution cables in general, but rather, cables that attenuate the signal differently and effect particular DACs in a particular way?

Still there is Consensus on the matter, Just check the thread. Excalibur is more detailed and brighter, Supra high speed is warmer with more base... Etc..
Why there is Im not sure, but it has to do with the signal, Jitter and so on.. Its very easy to detect when going back and forth.

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #1,059 of 1,260
My knowledge is not perfect, but Usb also has a 5v power cable inside together with the Signal.

Curious and Supra and I believe Audioquest tries to Shield or separate the volt cable.

And I've heard that Usb doesn't have error check-ing compared to other digital cables.
But I'm not sure.

But I'm sure that the Supra Excalibur has very nice lift in sound quality, nothing but a game changer...
Everything has error checking but it has to significant levels of noise to distort data in cable.

Audio is very sensitive to noise buts its not enough to trigger something simple like CRC.

I saw that some companies have tried to isolate the wire carrying the power in the cable. Which seems logical and a good idea but I wonder if having the wire just being there connected on only one end might cause it to act like an antennae or the opposite like an additional shield/ground. I'm not sure, I was thinking it'd be similar like with power cables where they recommend tieing the mesh shield onto the ground but in the case of the USB the power cable is not connected to any ground, power is kind of floating through the cable since its connected on one end but no end point.

Either way, this is why its beneficial to have a device thats galvanically isolated because usb cables carry power whether you want it or not.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #1,060 of 1,260
Everything has error checking but it has to significant levels of noise to distort data in cable.

Audio is very sensitive to noise buts its not enough to trigger something simple like CRC.

I saw that some companies have tried to isolate the wire carrying the power in the cable. Which seems logical and a good idea but I wonder if having the wire just being there connected on only one end might cause it to act like an antennae or the opposite like an additional shield/ground. I'm not sure, I was thinking it'd be similar like with power cables where they recommend tieing the mesh shield onto the ground but in the case of the USB the power cable is not connected to any ground, power is kind of floating through the cable since its connected on one end but no end point.

Either way, this is why its beneficial to have a device thats galvanically isolated because usb cables carry power whether you want it or not.
I’m pretty sure that USB don’t have error correction other than a buffer for instance Tidal or Spotify.

Compared to Toslink or Coaxial and HDMI.

Can please someone correct or inform us? I’ve read this from others several people who probably knows tech more than me.

Found something, I haven't finished reading yet.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/54909-usb-audio-transmission-isn’t-bit-true/

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #1,061 of 1,260
I’m pretty sure that USB don’t have error correction other than a buffer for instance Tidal or Spotify.

Compared to Toslink or Coaxial and HDMI.

Can please someone correct or inform us? I’ve read this from others several people who probably knows tech more than me.

Found something, I haven't finished reading yet.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/54909-usb-audio-transmission-isn’t-bit-true/
Everything in computers has some form of error correction and alot of times redundant checks.

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #1,062 of 1,260
Still there is Consensus on the matter, Just check the thread. Excalibur is more detailed and brighter, Supra high speed is warmer with more base... Etc..
Why there is Im not sure, but it has to do with the signal, Jitter and so on.. Its very easy to detect when going back and forth.
Anything more technical is more analytical with sharper attack.
Sometimes less resolving cable in the right place is better... Just Like Silver often times can make high end systems too analytical.

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #1,063 of 1,260
Anything more technical is more analytical with sharper attack.
Sometimes less resolving cable in the right place is better... Just Like Silver often times can make high end systems too analytical.
Yes, The skin effect. But this is usually about analogue signal or speaker cable.
In digital and usb (also digital) Skin effect is still there but I think it work’s different.

As in my experience the Supra Excalibur in my Headphone amp has excellent bass, it’s just not bloomy, boomy. But very detailed and textured. Even if the details in the treble is most noticeable, the whole Sound is bettered.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #1,064 of 1,260
Some experiences with cables mentioned here, fwiw, your mileage may vary, etc.:

-Supra Excalibur: Lean and ultrafast in my speaker system. You hear some percussion and how quickly it gets resolved and you go "come on". Did not like it in my system, but for someone who, say, listens only to Mozart or has a slow/thick sounding system or naturally likes a very fast ribbon tweeter style sound, this may be a fit.
-Intona Not-So-Premium: Expected an analytical monstrosity, instead i got greeted by immediately noticeable rolled off highs, hello 5 euro printer cable! Otherwise a passable, if inexciting listen. Does not have high-end dynamic speed&punch, only average. As a fun exercise, i tried throwing every bright cable i had on my system and brought sound close to neutral, but it was still unsatisfying. Definitely not worth the money, a quick A/B with a basic Supra 2.0 which i use as a reference and sanity check quickly showed this.
-Oyaide Class A: Clean, powerful and ..slow. Clarity and dynamics are very surprising for the price point, but there is also some whack imaging and ultimately the whole package is lacking musicality.
-Supra 2.0: The affordable reference and an audiophile treasure in my book. Very close to a realistic balance soundwise with a touch of low-mids emphasis, fast, punchy, nuanced sound with great imaging, does not hold back a system whatsoever and i cannot see why it shouldn't be considered as the comparison standard as far USB cables go. The question about the other cables should be "Does it beat Supra?" If your system does not sound satisfying, it is not this cable's fault.
-Inakustik Excellence MicroUSB: Very nice sound up top, but the bottom half is unfortunately lacking weight. Prim and proper sound.
-Neotech 1020 or whatever that silver cable is: Thankfully not bright, but seriously lacking in dynamics and liveliness overall. Clean midrange, boring, neutral. Would work for the Diana Krall listening audiophile, but i like cables which suit all types of music.
-Wireworld Ultraviolet 8: Bright crap that should not be on the market. Only redeeming quality the agile sub-bass that usually comes with silver-plated cables.
Catching up. Really enjoyed your take, fun read. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back