What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
Jul 4, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #571 of 1,260
I'm new to the audiophile world and I currently have the following:
FiiO K5 Pro
HD560S
HD6XX

I used a regular printer cable from Amazon but I got interference / static. So, I decided to buy the Chroma Cables listed below and the interference went away. While doing my research on cables, I noticed that there are much, much more expensive cables to be had. One reasonably priced alternative to Chroma Cables was the Oyaide NEO d+ Class B. A seller on Amazon currently has a sale on the Oyaide cables and I wanted to know if there would be any difference if I got those cables instead. Does it even matter for someone like me with beginner equipment or would the cables only be of consequence for more premium setups?

$50 Oyaide NEO d+ Class B USB Type C to Type B Cable - 2 Meter (6.5 ft)
$45 Oyaide Neo d+ Series Class B USB Cable 2M

vs.

$17 Chroma Cables: Audio Optimized USB-A to USB-B Cable
$17 Chroma Cables: Audio Optimized USB-C to USB-B Cable with 56K Resistor

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #572 of 1,260
In what ways did it outperform the other USB cables? You are most likely just referring to sighted listening tests where the more expensive and attractive the cable you look at, the better it sounds. What audible problems are there with a generic USB cable?

Jul 4, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #573 of 1,260
FiiO K5 Pro
HD560S
HD6XX

I used a regular printer cable from Amazon but I got interference / static. So, I decided to buy the Chroma Cables listed below and the interference went away. While doing my research on cables, I noticed that there are much, much more expensive cables to be had. One reasonably priced alternative to Chroma Cables was the Oyaide NEO d+ Class B. A seller on Amazon currently has a sale on the Oyaide cables and I wanted to know if there would be any difference if I got those cables instead. Does it even matter for someone like me with beginner equipment or would the cables only be of consequence for more premium setups?

vs.

This is a contentious issue with many, many experienced users telling you that cables make no difference at all unless the cable is poorly manufactured (I fall into that camp). You will also find many experienced users who swear that cables matter and they will spend ridiculous sums of money on them. You will have to determine what you think of course. I have used a generic Brother printer cable on a DAC that was worth almost $3000. I didn't care and it sounded wonderful.

Jul 4, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #574 of 1,260
In what ways did it outperform the other USB cables? You are most likely just referring to sighted listening tests where the more expensive and attractive the cable you look at, the better it sounds. What audible problems are there with a generic USB cable?
Sounds better, less noise and all the things associated with noise reduction. IE more bass, cleaner, tighter bass, better dynamics, increased stage and depth, more microdetail, etc. Listening tests and also as you can see I disassembled it to look inside to see what its made of. Sure, looks pretty too I guess but I could care less about how a cable looks.

If you didn't notice the post I was answering, he stated this "I used a regular printer cable from Amazon but I got interference / static.". Perhaps you think he's imagining this? You can see the odin knockoff cable has heavy shielding and very good dielectric materials, that alone will help with the problem he's having.

Hey aren't you the guy that said you prefer bluetooth sound quality because it sounds better than a wired headphone?

Jul 4, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #575 of 1,260
Sounds better, less noise and all the things associated with noise reduction. IE more bass, cleaner, tighter bass, better dynamics, increased stage and depth, more microdetail, etc. Listening tests and also as you can see I disassembled it to look inside to see what its made of. Sure, looks pretty too I guess but I could care less about how a cable looks.

If you didn't notice the post I was answering, he stated this "I used a regular printer cable from Amazon but I got interference / static.". Perhaps you think he's imagining this? You can see the odin knockoff cable has heavy shielding and very good dielectric materials, that alone will help with the problem he's having.

Hey aren't you the guy that said you prefer bluetooth sound quality because it sounds better than a wired headphone?
Anyone who listens to a properly done USB cable on revealing equipment may be surprised to hear the benefits. Me, I went
from a stock USB to a Curious Hugo Link (bought used for CA $125) on my Mojo (now Mojo 2) and the difference was night and day.

Supra Excalibur is an excellent reasonably priced cable that is widely recommended.

Jul 4, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #576 of 1,260

Nope, saying Bluetooth sounds better than wired would be ignorant. I think it sounds just as good when implemented properly, but better than wired? Not me. You can find a well shielded cable I'm quite sure that costs under $30.

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #577 of 1,260
FiiO K5 Pro
HD560S
HD6XX

vs.

If you are fine with the spacing restrictions, uptone uspcb is awesome! It’s not really a cable but rather a pcb connecting from pc to dac.

If you’re going expensive it would be preferable to find one with tweakable connectors and properties like phasure lush 3 or ifi Gemini. The overall pairing is often synergy related and having tweakable parameters can help pair them better.

Jul 18, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #578 of 1,260
I recently found another good budget audio USB cable that has similar conductors as higher-end USB audio cables (ie. silver plated copper conductors). It's from the Monoprice Monolith line:

https://amzn.to/3AZS1vS

I will say however that in terms of looks, it sorta reminds me of something out of the 1990's but to me that's minor since it's just gonna sit behind your gear anyways:

61ZvjTaJ-XL._AC_SL1460_.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #579 of 1,260
If you are fine with the spacing restrictions, uptone uspcb is awesome! It’s not really a cable but rather a pcb connecting from pc to dac.

If you’re going expensive it would be preferable to find one with tweakable connectors and properties like phasure lush 3 or ifi Gemini. The overall pairing is often synergy related and having tweakable parameters can help pair them better.
When I joined this site last month, someone welcomed me with "say goodbye to your wallet" and I see what he meant.

I ended up buying the Chroma Cables USB cables and they worked fine. The static that I previously got was gone.

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #580 of 1,260
When I joined this site last month, someone welcomed me with "say goodbye to your wallet" and I see what he meant.

I ended up buying the Chroma Cables USB cables and they worked fine. The static that I previously got was gone.
Glad you found a budget option that worked well for you! I bought two usb cables that together costed close to half the price of my dac (dac is a budget one 😅).

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #581 of 1,260
I recently found another good budget audio USB cable that has similar conductors as higher-end USB audio cables (ie. silver plated copper conductors). It's from the Monoprice Monolith line:

https://amzn.to/3AZS1vS

I will say however that in terms of looks, it sorta reminds me of something out of the 1990's but to me that's minor since it's just gonna sit behind your gear anyways:

61ZvjTaJ-XL._AC_SL1460_.jpg

My video review of this cable is up:

Aug 19, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #583 of 1,260
Wireworld Ultraviolet (1m for 30 quids on eBay) might be a good budget option

Sep 30, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #585 of 1,260
I did the same Supra change but for me it was a length issue with the 1 meter being a little short.
I hear nothing different but I don't have young or golden ears and frankly I have not done A / B tests either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back