What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
Jul 4, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #46 of 1,267
You should email exactly what you wrote, to Astoria Studios, DG, and others, run by very competent engineers responsible for some of the most beloved recordings ever put on media, like Dark Side of the Moon, countless jazz classics, etc. then wait for a response from them, should be very eye opening. The idea of using $10 cabling or whatever behind and in front of electronics costing hundreds of thousands, is really sensible....

I've been to many pro stodios in NYC. They have vast amounts of wire connecting many inputs, sends, boards and so on. The lengths of wires are astounding and they are not going to waste hundreds of thousands of dollars on needless wire that does nothing useful. The wires they use cost far less than $10 per foot. They buy wire on large spools and have their techs do the work wiring their panels and runs.

Jul 4, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #47 of 1,267
I agree about the importance of the DAC.....and also the importance of reducing noise emitted from source components' power supplies, analog and digital. That's where critical cabling and conditioning can accrue good returns on the investment. Not USB.

Jul 4, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #48 of 1,267
studios use ADC, ie they record analogue sound and convert it to digital files.  The files are then the "master" copy of the recording which is then transferred to CD or saved in digital on a hard disc.  This is data, not a sound. You cannot affect the data by the transfer method via USB.  This moves into the realms of PC tech stuff that I really cannot explain as its not my area of expertise, but I would love for someone to prove otherwise. If you send a packet of data containing "11101100011" from A to B you either get "11101100011" or you get nothing at all, ie a corrupt packet.  

I am not a pc expert or a professional recording engineer, but in my experience any change you are hearing is subjective bias (placebo).

Jul 4, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #49 of 1,267
Question, from my own ignorance.

Why would a rec studio use a USB cable for anything?

Performer > mike > analog signal > analog recorder
Then for digital media.... AD converter thru to ....?

Cheers

Jul 4, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #50 of 1,267
studios use ADC, ie they record analogue sound and convert it to digital files.  The files are then the "master" copy of the recording which is then transferred to CD or saved in digital on a hard disc.  This is data, not a sound. You cannot affect the data by the transfer method via USB.  This moves into the realms of PC tech stuff that I really cannot explain as its not my area of expertise, but I would love for someone to prove otherwise. If you send a packet of data containing "11101100011" from A to B you either get "11101100011" or you get nothing at all, ie a corrupt packet.  

I am not a pc expert or a professional recording engineer, but in my experience any change you are hearing is subjective bias (placebo).

Got it. Posted my Q a split sec after this.
Thx

Jul 4, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #51 of 1,267
completely correct, analogue sound into PC via your ADC (interface) and stored digitally.  from there you "may" do a backup to a 2nd HD which in my situation is via USB to an external HD so I can take it home so I can do mastering.

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #57 of 1,267
I skimmed through this thread hoping to find some information about people's personal subjective experience with various USB cables.

What I seemed to find is a pissing contest as to whether the question is even valid.

Okay, I'm not criticizing but I really could use some useful information for you see I have just purchased a Gustard X20-U to use with my SOtM PCIex USB 3.0 card I just also received.

I am really not in the market for some kind of ultra expensive wire made from metal mined from the moons of Jupiter that shifts bits through a dimensional portal to my DAC.

What I would like to know is are there any USB cables in the $100 range or less that are preferred and why?

Many thanks.....

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #58 of 1,267
  I skimmed through this thread hoping to find some information about people's personal subjective experience with various USB cables.

What I seemed to find is a pissing contest as to whether the question is even valid.

Okay, I'm not criticizing but I really could use some useful information for you see I have just purchased a Gustard X20-U to use with my SOtM PCIex USB 3.0 card I just also received.

I am really not in the market for some kind of ultra expensive wire made from metal mined from the moons of Jupiter that shifts bits through a dimensional portal to my DAC.

What I would like to know is are there any USB cables in the $100 range or less that are preferred and why?

Many thanks.....

Any comments on these cables?

Analysis Plus Purple Plus USB

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Analysis-Plus-Purple-Plus-USB-Audiophile-Quality-USB-Cable-1-meter-/361312968398?hash=item541fee5ece:g:ZyEAAOSwrklVcKbj

Dyson Audio Data Influx 2.0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Handmade-Dyson-Audio-Data-Influx-2-0-Audiophile-USB-DAC-Cable-1-Meter-/261818839748?hash=item3cf59e72c4:g:AXAAAOSwpdpVabko

Straightwire USB-Link

http://www.amazon.com/Straightwire-USB-Link-Audiophile-Grade-Digtial/dp/B019ECUMZ2/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1457128665&sr=1-6&keywords=audiophile+usb+cable&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_five_browse-bin%3A7800924011

Pangea Audio - USB cable - PCOCC & 4% silver - 1 Meter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pangea-Audio-USB-cable-PCOCC-4-silver-1-Meter-/262305114565?hash=item3d129a69c5:g:028AAOSwNSxVVOID

Thanks

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #59 of 1,267
Several more choices here : 

Curious usb 280mm Hugo Link
Forza Audio Works Copper Series Twin USB
Wywires Silver DIGITAL AUDIO CABLES
Silver Dragon USB Cable by Moon Audio

Am getting the Curious cable myself for my office setup and my home setup is using the cable from FAW :) 

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #60 of 1,267
Seems like you are looking for the most expensive cable.  So if your definition of "best" includes price, buy the most expensive cable.

For those who prefer to pay less, but still get the same results, try AmazonBasics cable.
It's a very simple cable.
http://pinoutsguide.com/SerialPortsCables/usb_cable_pinout.shtml
Data packets (up to 1023 bytes) in USB are protected by CRC16. If CRC check fails, receiver does not ACK it and transmitter sends the data packet again till ACK is received (data was not corrupted).

If you read this far, you can think what would happen if your $5000 cable alters the bits.

The maximum length of a standard USB cable is 5.0 meters (16.4 ft). The primary reason for this limit is the maximum allowed round-trip delay of about 1500 ns. If a USB device does not answer to host commands within the allowed time, the host considers the command to be lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back