What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
May 7, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #421 of 1,260
That was all I was referring to. If I was understanding that correctly at first you were of the mind that a USB cable is a USB cable. It just seemed odd that you were now reviewing USB cables and it seems no longer feeling the way your thread started. People are allowed to change their minds, no harm no foul. Not to mention that cable you reviewed isn't that expensive. I guess I was just surprised that you felt a USB cable was review worthy.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #422 of 1,260
That was all I was referring to. If I was understanding that correctly at first you were of the mind that a USB cable is a USB cable. It just seemed odd that you were now reviewing USB cables and it seems no longer feeling the way your thread started. People are allowed to change their minds, no harm no foul.

I have not changed my mind, that statement still holds true, just more refined now in terms of how well the signal gets through and without RF/EMI interference, impedance variance, etc. = a more pure signal.

Doing the above well is all that matters and the sad truth is that some of the super-expensive 'audiophile' USB cables don't.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #423 of 1,260
I have not changed my mind, that statement still holds true, just more refined now in terms of how well the signal gets through and without RF/EMI interference, impedance variance, etc.
Fair enough. I actually like your reviews and have read several, by the way.

May 7, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #424 of 1,260
I have the Curious USB and I like it for the large soundstage, pinpoint imaging, and natural tonality. I compared it to the Nordost Heimdall. For my preferences, the Curious USB was much better and it wasn’t difficult to hear the difference.

May 7, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #425 of 1,260
Was this old comment supposed to mean Audioquest Forest is good or bad?

From the looks I feel tempted to use those between my components.

In a very specific situation a group of us have all used the exact same configuration of the Sony TA-ZH1ES headphone amp being connected to the Sony Cradle holding a Walkman 1Z or 1A as a digital source. Note photograph.

In that particular situation the AQCarbon seems to add a quality. If it’s from EMI shielding or silver used who knows? But in that regard it seems to work. There is obviously group confirmation bias so that needs to be taken into account. If the AQCarbon also makes a difference in simply hooking up a computer to a DAC; I don’t know?

It was just funny to have a member who actually owns an AQForrest USB end up coming on here and slamming the AQ cables? Maybe there is better? AudioQuest makes a Diamond cable too which is above the Carbon and I know of one member who loves his. There is also an on-line comparison where the reviewer thought he could hear a difference between the Diamond and Carbon in use. In our situation the shortest foot length is the way to go as they make 5 foot and longer too. But you want normally as short as you can get away with. This is typical thought and even companies will recommended using as short as needed even though they make more money selling longer cables.

Edit:
This may be the shortest one?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0041EH0WW/ref=psdcmw_464394_t3_B00DQDBCPU

93BFFF4D-959F-4B7C-843F-0033F4DAA79E.jpeg

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #426 of 1,260
I have the Curious USB and I like it for the large soundstage, pinpoint imaging, and natural tonality. I compared it to the Nordost Heimdall. For my preferences, the Curious USB was much better and it wasn’t difficult to hear the difference.

Curious is solid. Plan to try anything else? Sablon looks good.

May 7, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #427 of 1,260
Curious is solid. Plan to try anything else? Sablon looks good.
No, I’m very satisfied with my system’s sound.

May 8, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #428 of 1,260
Just once I decided to try a $900 cable for the fun of it and because someone offered it to me for $200 on eBay and I knew I could get my money back by reselling it. It's the only cable I've had that I couldn't get to work.

May 8, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #429 of 1,260
I can hear difference on my headphone rig when switching from the AQ Cinnamon and the AQ Carbon. I don’t hear as much of a difference between the Carbon and the Curious cables, it’s very slight. I don’t know if I could distinguish between the two in blind testing.

May 20, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #430 of 1,260

Have you tried the uptone uspcb? I own one and wonder how different sounding the curious or jcat cables are.

May 20, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #431 of 1,260
I don't know. I have kimber kable's entry usb and a kimber select copper KSUSB-CU $1500 usb and I can't tell a difference. I mean the expensive one looks pretty with the wood ends and all.

May 24, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #434 of 1,260
I started off with an AudioQuest Carbon. Bought the Curious Evolved USB cable and it was very very good. pinpoint imaging, clear highs. a little bit aggressive in the upper registry sometimes. I now have the Phasure Lush^2 USB cable and it is better than the Curious in that it sounds smoother and effortless, with punchy (maybe slightly thick) bass and just gorgeous mids. I have not yet tried any other jumper config on the Lush^2 cable other than the stock config it was delivered in. I just received the Mad Scientist Black Magic usb cable but have not had the chance to try it out yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back