What's the best solid state headphone amp today?
Jan 28, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #16 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go with a Beta22. Preferably three channel.

+1!
L3000.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #18 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are ever down near St Louis, message me on here to stop by and listen to the F1. I am certain I won't be buying any other amp for my headphones.

Add the F2 to that. I just got one that has the new JFET enhancement.

I think that people have not heard these amps, or they would not be talking about "ordinary" voltage source head amps being the best. Are you going to bring it to CanJam? I was thinking about bringing the F2. PM me with the details of the headphone box you use, if you can. I am working it out and would love to see what someone else has done.

A shame they won't work on Stax Omegas.

Clark

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #19 of 91
The problem I find with the Beta22, as amazing as it is, is that it doesn't seem to like single ended headphone very much. The issue with TRS plug makes it necessary to install higher R34 and R35 to avoid blowing up the mosfet. This has happened twice on my 4 channel B22.

But if you want to go with a balanced drive, then the 4 channel B22 is superb. I just don't like it that much for single ended anymore.

I should find time to do a B22, SPL Phonitor, and Grace m902 comparison one of these days. It would be fun.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #20 of 91
I have been very satisfied with my Apache. If you are going to get the HD 800, I would recommend getting an amp which has balanced outputs as well as SE, since that makes a noticeable improvement on what is already a great set of headphones.

You should search the high-end forum for a thread on amps for the HD800, as well as a thread on going balanced with the HD800.

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #21 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctemkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been very satisfied with my Apache. If you are going to get the HD 800, I would recommend getting an amp which has balanced outputs as well as SE, since that makes a noticeable improvement on what is already a great set of headphones.

You should search the high-end forum for a thread on amps for the HD800, as well as a thread on going balanced with the HD800.

X2

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #23 of 91
b22

i have only heard a 3channel b22 at canjam
i am making a balanced b22 currently.
and regarding the shorting issue with the SE b22, amb site says specifically to turn off the amp (or un/plug it quickly) when plugging and unplugging the SE headphone.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #24 of 91
Balanced Beta 22, all the way.

Amazing with Senn 600s (I have tried two different balanced cables, moon-audio silver dragon, and zu ... in the end I chose silver dragon, although other reviewers here preferred zu).

Ying at YBM Audio, an "official" Beta 22 builder endorsed by AMB, gets my highest recommendation.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #26 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should find time to do a B22, SPL Phonitor, and Grace m902 comparison one of these days. It would be fun.

Should be interesting. I'm assuming HD800 SE for all three.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #27 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my Rudistor RP010B MkII.

I would go for this one, without knowing anything about amps discussed here.
smily_headphones1.gif
Add PS Audio GCHA and Audio-gd Roc to your list of considerations.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #28 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should be interesting. I'm assuming HD800 SE for all three.

Yea.. Maybe even the Beyer T1 if they don't get delayed for too long.
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
b22

i have only heard a 3channel b22 at canjam
i am making a balanced b22 currently.
and regarding the shorting issue with the SE b22, amb site says specifically to turn off the amp (or un/plug it quickly) when plugging and unplugging the SE headphone.

Yea.. I find it a hassle to have to turn off the amp everytime I want to do change cans. Maybe I have to implement an on/off switch that cuts the signal right before the headphone out. LOL.
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #29 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem I find with the Beta22, as amazing as it is, is that it doesn't seem to like single ended headphone very much. The issue with TRS plug makes it necessary to install higher R34 and R35 to avoid blowing up the mosfet. This has happened twice on my 4 channel B22.

But if you want to go with a balanced drive, then the 4 channel B22 is superb. I just don't like it that much for single ended anymore.

The Phonitor smoke the Grace m902.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back