What's the best portable Gaming/HD Movie over the ear cans for high end laptop FPS gaming?
Aug 26, 2010 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

THX5334

New Head-Fier
Hey All,

I'm a heavy desktop gamer who is getting into notebook gaming rigs. I own some Senns 280's and Sony's MDR7506's. Both sound great for Gaming/HD Movies, but when it comes to traveling are just way too bulky to fit in my notebook bag.

Are there any gamers here that know of some good small over the hear headphones that have a nice soundstage, are good at giving a simulated or actually have "positional" sound? But also sound decent for music?

I know they're hated with a passion here, but I was looking at the Beats Solo "HD" which some say, while overpriced, they sound pretty great after a true 50hr+ break in.

But I'm not beholden to any brand or style, it's just all I could come up with while Googling.

What's the best solution?

Thanks for any and all input! Cheers!

Aug 26, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 8
Well, when I think of gaming I automatically think surround sound.  In the best sense this is at least a 4.1 speaker setup and not so much headphones.  While there are surround sound headphones out there, the best are just ok.  The Logitech G35 seems to be one of the better options out there with a good mix of cost, sound quality, and surround sound performance.  The PsykoAudio 5.1 is also uniquely designed surround sound leader but a good deal more expensive.  While the G35 is simulated but good, the Psyko is real 5.1 and apparently quite good.  The musical qualities are not as good as the G35 though.  It's something you could likely fix with EQing, but the G35, at least from what I'm finding in reviews, is a better musical device.  The unique design of the Psyko 5.1 seems to be a bit tricky to get either coherence or frequency response perfect.  I think it's just a matter of 2 speakers are easier to work with than 7.  The geek in me would have me lean towards the Psyko 5.1 though because the surround sound is better and the response issue is probably fixable with EQing.  The cost is a deterrent though.  The G35 sells online for $100.  The Psyko 5.1 sells online for for about $300.  The G35 is cheaper and a better jack of all trades.  The Psyko 5.1 is the better true surround sound performer but also 3 times as expensive.  I suggest reading through some reviews and come to your own conclusions. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 8
The more I read about the Psyko 5.1, the less I want it.  Basically it's amazing for directional effects but sucks at everything else.  Read HardOCP's review of it, and you won't think about looking at that earphone ever again.

You might also want to look at Astro's MixAmp for generating surround sound from any 2 channel headphone.  It apparently functions pretty well and gives you both an amp and 5.1 surround with any headphone.  They also offer the AS40 package with apparently a darn good headphone + mixamp.

So MixAmp + AS40 or whatever headphone you feel like running or a prepackaged setup like the G35?  Well, the G35 is certainlly a very affordable route.  The AS40 seems to be the higher quality package but also at a much higher price. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 8
Wow that's some awesome advice! I'm psyched I'll look into Astro's mixamp.

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 8
It's what a few minutes on Google gets you. :wink:

Worth looking into:
http://www.competitivegamingaudio.com/
The site seamed most geared for XBOX though, so verify any cabling requirements.

You might look at the Turtle Beach HPA2.  It seems like the MixAmp is popular with high quality headphones, and he particularly liked it with the HPX-1.
Interesting page:
http://www.competitivegamingaudio.com/TBHPX.html
Again, it's geared for XBOX people.  For PC, it's just HPA2 and done.

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #6 of 8
It's gaming, you just want to hear the fantastic sounds of getting shot.

Just get a Logitech G35, it's on sale right now.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/promotional-items/devices/7183&ci=0

It retails for $130 but this is a "Dented Box."

I've bought dented box products from Logitech before, they aren't damaged in anyway, even the box was brand new(no dents etc.)

Its only $65 with the coupon code: logi_g35_82710

Aug 27, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 8
Yeah, the more I read up on them, the G35 is pretty much the one to get.  I does seem like a true 5.1 like the HPA2 is a slightly better gaming headphone, the musical audio quality of the G35 seems to outweigh it though and the simulated surround sound is apparently "good enough' not to care.

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #8 of 8
So while searching on the Astro MixAmp I came across this from Turtle Beach:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/audio-processors/ear-force-dss.aspx

And with my gaming notebook not having a digital optical out I picked up this to pair it with:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/sound-cards/audio-advantage-micro-ii.aspx

I'm pretty psyched as I own the Turtle Beach X41's hooked up to run my Home Theater via an optical splitter and run PS3, XBox and Blu-Ray and they are some of my favorite cans. So light and by far the most comfortable for long wear use, beating out my Sennheiser 280 HD Pro's, Sony MV7506's and Beat Studio HD (I know everyone here hates them, but I love how they sound. Unfortunately they're being returned due to horrible sound leakage. Though I'm probably going to get a set of the Solo HD's for the wife as she loves them.) The sound stage on the X41's along with the separation effects are the best I ever heard. I'm no audiophile, but I was surprised at how well music sounded through them also.

I'm really impressed with those cans and unit for gaming/home theater, so I'm really psyched to see what this Microsound card and DSS Sound processor can do. I'm also hoping it can connect to my IPhone 4 via the USB/mini port and add some punch to my IPhone to drive my Senn 280's when on the plane as they sound a bit tinny with no proper amp to power them. If that also works (though I'm not keeping my hopes up) I will truly be stoked on an all in one solution.

However seeing as they're meant mainly for gaming/movie watching while traveling, I'll still be happy if those work well.

I'll post a mini review when I get them in and see how they work with my Senn's. Which I feel is the perfect test cans as they really need some kind of amp to really get the full sound and experience out of them. Something the Sony M7506's didn't need and sounded great for IPhone/IPod listening. My pair developed a short in the cord right at the plug so I gave them to my brother. I think I'm gonna pick another pair up anyways since they seem to be discontinued. These also have a really nice sound stage for gaming.

Thanks for the responses! I'll post impressions as soon as I can!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back