what's the best mini-mini interconnect
Mar 14, 2003 at 3:00 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by bcwang

tigger,
did you happen to get your cables yet? I'm interested to see a comparison review of what you have tried

Yes, most of the cables are here. The JMT was too short for my use so I sent it back. What I have on hand is the HeadRoom Plastics one mini-mini and the Markertek.
In the value for money stakes, the Markertek is a winner at $17.95 including switchcraft plugs.
Sound wise, I need to give it more time but so far the only thing the HeaRoom cable has going for it is flexibility!
I'll have more to say in a few days when I do a short review.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #19 of 32
Ever notice with mini jacks, that the gold plated ones seem to be always fine when you insert it and remove it, or rotate it while music is playing. But with the regular ones, there is static sound when inserting or removing it or even just rotating it inside the jack. They also sometimes just don't have contact while all the way in and you have to rotate it a bit to get full contact.

Now I know most people would say gold doesn't really have any advantage, but at least there is a difference I notice with all my different headphones and mini-jacks. The gold ones seem to just have better contact. I don't know if this means anything sound quality wise once you achieve good contact with either jack, but just a thought.

Mar 18, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #20 of 32
I just ordered a Markertek 10' mini-mini that looks great - from reviews and specs. Canare connectors and canare cable - whole cable designed to refuse interference of any kind - EXACTLY what I need. I'll let you know how it sounds compared to some crappy radio shack cables I have to compare it with.

-dd3mon

Mar 18, 2003 at 2:03 AM Post #21 of 32
By crappy radioshack cable, do you mean the ones in the picture above? Or do you mean some other radioshack cable is bad?

Edit: Dang, of course my post would start the new page. What I mean now is, the picture on page 1.

Mar 18, 2003 at 2:05 AM Post #22 of 32
I ordered parts from Markertek last week to make my own mini-mini interconnects, and I'm waiting for the parts to arrive.

Mar 18, 2003 at 11:34 AM Post #23 of 32
I'm confused about Merkertek cable. What is their shipping policy? There is $4.95 handling charge for every order which has not included shipping charge yet. So when will you know how much do you have to pay? $12.95 for 1.5 ft cable is ok. But then there is $4.95 handling charge and then shipping charge. Can anyone who bought the cable from Merkertek share your experience here? And why their is a little difference in price of the double length of cable (like only $2 difference between 1.5 ft and 3 ft one)? I mean for a high quality cable-the price per length would make a bigger differennce when you double the length.
NEO

Mar 18, 2003 at 11:43 AM Post #24 of 32
Markertek doesn't know they are selling a high (read: prized) quality cable. They are just selling a high "broadcast" quality cable. As a result, their prices are skewed in favor of the business person who buys a lot rather than the "audiophile" who has specific needs and frequently pays a premium for things like extra length.
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2003 at 4:45 AM Post #26 of 32
Just curios Aerosmith, do you mind saying what you paid and for what application you will use these cables?

Mar 20, 2003 at 6:48 AM Post #27 of 32
When at CES back in January I got a chance to try out some ZU cables including a custom mini to mini and was really impressed.One of the guys(I think the place has three really,really young owners) is a head-fi lurker.He knew the site well and said he has been checking it out for about a year but has never posted.They do a bunch of custom work and their prices are great for the quality you get.I aksed for some samples for the Chicago meet and hope to be able to offer some impressions when I get them soon.

Mar 20, 2003 at 7:27 AM Post #28 of 32
I've got the Zu Pivot, and have been comparing it to a semi-Markertek (homemade mini-mini based on Canare star quad cable). In all honesty, I can't hear a difference. So far, the Silver Sonic BL-1 using a Rat Shack RCA to mini adapter to convert it to mini to mini sounds better than either. However, they're not bad, and much more convenient than the stiffer BL-1.

Mar 20, 2003 at 2:57 PM Post #29 of 32
Erikzen,

They were 59 apiece for the 1.5m ones, not including shipping.

They will be used primarily to connect my total airhead to various outs.

And because they looked and sounded good, and I can't resist anything ever.

-NrF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back