Whats The BEST Concert You Have Been Too???
May 24, 2011 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dynobot

Headphoneus Supremus
Just thinking about this seasons concerts.  I like to take in at least 3-4 per year, sad to say I haven't been to one this year yet.

However one of the Best, if not The Best concert I have been to was in Ann Arbor MI to see Tito Puente.  The vibe was so strong that the concert hall turned into a dance hall as people filled the isles and even the waiting area outside [foregoing their chance to actually see Tito] to dance to the music.  It was just electric.  Sadly he passed shortly after, which really made me consider going to every Legends concert I could, while I could.....I urge you to do the same, if there is someone you consider a legend to music.

I have been known to even travel to see people in concert, having flew to NewYork to see B.B. King at none other than the Apollo Theater. 

May 24, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 11
Dream Theater and Iron Maiden, Bristow VA 2010. Epic.

May 25, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 11
Not really a concert, but one of my favorite experiences was at the Grand Ole Opry. I bought one ticket at the highest price and had no idea where it was - it was something like in the "DD" row. Figured it'd be several rows back. I was shocked when the usher took me right up to the front row and asked her if she made a mistake. She hadn't. I was something like ten feet away from the stage.

It was awesome. I was right up there with Porter Wagoner, Larry Gatlin, the Riders in the Sky, and a bunch of other classic acts. I nearly wet myself. My only wish was that it would have been a couple hours longer so the performers could have done longer sets. I will go back one of these days - that was incredible!

For a regular concert, it was a performance of Carmina Burana in Portland about a dozen years back. Carmina Burana kicks mucho ass, but it was staged incredibly well. The chorus had their faces painted as skulls and were lined up at the back of the set. The chorus looked like about 100 skulls set on shelving. Then there were monks in black hooded robes carrying lit torches around. Yes, actual fire. They marched through the aisles and were thoroughly awesome. The rest of the staging was eye-popping and the performances were strong. The audience was wildly enthusiastic, too.

As for actual performance, I had a couple of terrific experiences. During undergrad, I was in the USC Marching Band which performed all over. One great performance was with Maynard Ferguson - he had us play "Birdland" with him at a summer concert. Really, really fun. The other was performing the 1812 Overture with the LA Phil at the Hollywood Bowl. The 1812 calls for a brass band, so they put us on a platform that raised up in front of the Phil at the appropriate time. There were fireworks and a massive audience - probably around 90,000. I loved it!

May 25, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 11
Sounds great!

And having good seat is nice too....it really gives you a different experience having a close up perspective.

Quote:
Not really a concert, but one of my favorite experiences was at the Grand Ole Opry. I bought one ticket at the highest price and had no idea where it was - it was something like in the "DD" row. Figured it'd be several rows back. I was shocked when the usher took me right up to the front row and asked her if she made a mistake. She hadn't. I was something like ten feet away from the stage.

It was awesome. I was right up there with Porter Wagoner, Larry Gatlin, the Riders in the Sky, and a bunch of other classic acts. I nearly wet myself. My only wish was that it would have been a couple hours longer so the performers could have done longer sets. I will go back one of these days - that was incredible!

For a regular concert, it was a performance of Carmina Burana in Portland about a dozen years back. Carmina Burana kicks mucho ass, but it was staged incredibly well. The chorus had their faces painted as skulls and were lined up at the back of the set. The chorus looked like about 100 skulls set on shelving. Then there were monks in black hooded robes carrying lit torches around. Yes, actual fire. They marched through the aisles and were thoroughly awesome. The rest of the staging was eye-popping and the performances were strong. The audience was wildly enthusiastic, too.

As for actual performance, I had a couple of terrific experiences. During undergrad, I was in the USC Marching Band which performed all over. One great performance was with Maynard Ferguson - he had us play "Birdland" with him at a summer concert. Really, really fun. The other was performing the 1812 Overture with the LA Phil at the Hollywood Bowl. The 1812 calls for a brass band, so they put us on a platform that raised up in front of the Phil at the appropriate time. There were fireworks and a massive audience - probably around 90,000. I loved it!

May 25, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #9 of 11
my first Dream Theater concert back in '96

May 25, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 11
Most memorible Beatles at Shea stadium in 1965,

Jimi Hendrix at the filmore east is at the top of the list.Played the star spangle banner with his teeth & was great,then smashed & burned his guitar.

May 25, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 11
Although this isn't a HUGE band it was one of those concerts thats stuck in my head as an all time favorite

(1993 I believe)  Live / Throwing Copper tour. It was at an outdoor ampi-theater and the weather was absolutely beautiful. I remember lying back on the grass and thinking life was perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back