Whats the best Closed Studio Headphone Unamped?
Oct 17, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
48's..They are reference studio headphones with a flat response. These were probably made for sound engineers as the sound is total neutral, analyitical and unforgiving. Im sure the others mentioned have some color/house sound added to them.

No question. These are the best closed cans for unamped usage - sturdy as well.

Let me elaborate. They are worlds beyond any of the other cans mentioned in this thread. They are, however, not as cheap as all the other cans listed in this thread, weighing in at around $500.

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Let me elaborate. They are worlds beyond any of the other cans mentioned in this thread. They are, however, not as cheap as all the other cans listed in this thread, weighing in at around $500.

I was going to say that but I'm tired of the fanboy crap. Theres KBI with another 48 recommendation. Eyes rolling.

How can the denon 2000 be a studio can?? Aren't they musically, colored, and warm?

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Let me elaborate. They are worlds beyond any of the other cans mentioned in this thread.

Hmmm, very interesting . . .

Look, and look good. This is reference studio headphones with a flat response.

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #20 of 35
If he is talking about a real studio monitor headphones, you should stay away from anything that emphasizes anything. The industry standard is what you already have, MDR-7506. If you however need another one I would recommend a set of MDR-7509/HD. They have smoother highs and a little bit more tighter and present bass. It's very good when recording instruments. The MDR-7509/HD also handles a bit more abuse of the electrical equipment use in studio recording and mixers. I use to work full time with Sony BMG and Universal Music Group as a producer now I just work part time with when I got bumped up to Audio Post Engineer for Sony Pictures Entertainment. I see them all the time (not just Sony owned studios) but I also see HD-280 Pro as backups but rarely.

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, they are. I need to get one of those too. I have a near brand new looking 240 Sextett. Would like a good looking Monitor 10 too.

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If he is talking about a real studio monitor headphones, you should stay away from anything that emphasizes anything. The industry standard is what you already have, MDR-7506. If you however need another one I would recommend a set of MDR-7509/HD. They have smoother highs and a little bit more tighter and present bass. It's very good when recording instruments. The MDR-7509/HD also handles a bit more abuse of the electrical equipment use in studio recording and mixers. I use to work full time with Sony BMG and Universal Music Group as a producer now I just work part time with when I got bumped up to Audio Post Engineer for Sony Pictures Entertainment. I see them all the time (not just Sony owned studios) but I also see HD-280 Pro as backups but rarely.

But, why not get better. The 48's seem to be the standard for broadcasting, audio engineers and reference studio production. Don't you think the sonys are the standard because they are much cheaper, easier to get, and made by a brand name company? I wanted to get a sony studio headphone, but audio cubes refused to ship anywhere but Japan. Must have been a sony thing.

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But, why not get better. The 48's seem to be the standard for broadcasting, audio engineers and reference studio production. Don't you think the sonys are the standard because they are much cheaper, easier to get, and made by a brand name company? I wanted to get a sony studio headphone, but audio cubes refused to ship anywhere but Japan. Must have been a sony thing.

If you've seen what I'm exposed to you'd be rest assure that Sony MDR-7506 is industry standard and just vastly overpowers everything else there. Also the MDR-7506 is not always the same. They have been heavily modified for a specific category. Some might have a mic on it, some might have a straight short cord, etc.. I am not saying it's the best of the best but it's a standard meaning almost 95% I recorded with be it Mariah Carey to Miley Cyrus to Black Eyed Peas or to a movie like Hancock. It's not a brand company thing, this headphones has been out since the 80's or older I as I can remember. You can't change something that is not broken. If you however change it to something like a Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser, your music signature is going to come out very different on an actual speakers. I don't know why Audio Cubes refuses to ship to Japan because Sony is a Japanese company if you haven't already know. You are not limited to Audio Cubes. Order it from Amazon or something like eBay, you'll probably get it cheaper.

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

If he is talking about a real studio monitor headphones.

My setup today is tree difference headphones.
And each one for a different task.

1.Ultrasone PL650 High resolution sound, very open and analytical in the high and super high area.
With nice sweet pump low bass.

2.MB Quarts QP250 My perfect dither down from 25,000Hz. Very fun cans with a worm lowmid, and clean bass.

3.Pioneer monitor 10, It's my welcome back to reality. Indeed studio monitor headphones remind me of the Yamaha NS10 studio monitors.

beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm - that is interesting. I would love to try a pair of those. Are they available new - where would the OP or myself be able to get them?

Also, if the OP is asking for the best closed cans that can run ampless, it's certainly not the sony, regardless if a lot of folks use it. It's a markedly inferior can to the beyer and judging by the freq graph, that vintage pioneer - and a number of recording studios and engineers have them in their kit. Indeed, you can sometimes find a pair ultra cheap from them used.

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Hmm - that is interesting. I would love to try a pair of those. Are they available new - where would the OP or myself be able to get them?

They came from the 70's. You can try ebay, enjoy the experience...

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #27 of 35
Ultimately, if you want headphones that will sound decent unamped, they will probably have flaws. (I'd argue they'd have flaws no matter what headphone they are).

Just pick some phones that are vaguely neutral and that you like, then learn their quirks. Knowing your monitors (or headphones) is more important than having the best reference set ever and mixing like it is a car stereo.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultimately, if you want headphones that will sound decent unamped, they will probably have flaws. (I'd argue they'd have flaws no matter what headphone they are).

Just pick some phones that are vaguely neutral and that you like, then learn their quirks. Knowing your monitors (or headphones) is more important than having the best reference set ever and mixing like it is a car stereo.

I don't know anything about car stereo but having a good pair of headphones is important if that's what the OP is after.

Also, if you haven't heard the recommended cans, it's worth stating that to the OP - have you heard the beyer or the vintage Pioneer.

Hmm, now I'm going to have try and track that pioneer down myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

If you've seen what I'm exposed to you'd be rest assure that Sony MDR-7506 is industry standard and just vastly overpowers everything else there. Also the MDR-7506 is not always the same. They have been heavily modified for a specific category. Some might have a mic on it, some might have a straight short cord, etc.. I am not saying it's the best of the best but it's a standard meaning almost 95% I recorded with be it Mariah Carey to Miley Cyrus to Black Eyed Peas or to a movie like Hancock. It's not a brand company thing, this headphones has been out since the 80's or older I as I can remember. You can't change something that is not broken. If you however change it to something like a Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser, your music signature is going to come out very different on an actual speakers. I don't know why Audio Cubes refuses to ship to Japan because Sony is a Japanese company if you haven't already know. You are not limited to Audio Cubes. Order it from Amazon or something like eBay, you'll probably get it cheaper.

Fair enough.. Audio Cubes would only ship the sonys to Japan. That was the problem. They were a different model, but seemed exclusive to Japan. AC doesn't sell them anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back