Whats the best Closed Studio Headphone Unamped?
Oct 15, 2008 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

shawntp

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a set of Sony MDR7506's that I use in my home studio that work out great for tracking and pretty good for listening.

I am wondering what is out there right now that would be a considerable upgrade. What I am looking for is:

- Closed (will work for tracking guitar/vocals)
- Comfortable
- Useful for Editing/light mixing (Something I can use late night or on the road when my monitors are off or not available) ...note needed for guitar/rock sounds only - not techno/hip hop/etc!
- Sounds good UNAMPED (meaning I can unplug them from my Apogee Duet and into my iphone and listen to tunes)
- Sturdy

Honestly - the Sony 7506 is pretty good at all of the above given the price - I was just wondering what if anything would be a good upgrade path knowing I am without amplification. I saw the 271s is a favorite but it needs an amp and the Beyer 250-80 but I am not sure if that is going to be an all around improvement or not.

So is the 7506 the one for the above or is there some other headphone that fits those exact needs and sounds better for casual listening.

Oct 15, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 35
The DT770pro/80 can be driven easily from most studio gear, but it might be a struggle with your iPhone. The MDR-V6 and 7506 are the only studio quality headphones I know of that can be easily driven from an ipod.

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 35
IMHO the DT-250 was a huge improvement over the v6 - but I disliked the v6's treble emphasis.

You can power it with either gen iphone, but you will turn it up a bit. I have all my music replaygained to 89 dB and had no problems driving the 250's.

The same goes for HD25-1's and DT770's as far as un-ampability, but to pick between the three based on sound I'd go for the DT250.

FWIW, I think my 1st gen shuffle drives the k271 ok, too. A tad bass light, but that's the k271's natural state anyway. Still enough low end to make tracks like 1000 homo dj's fuzzy bass + kick drum stand out on supernaut, likewise on Moby's thats when i reach for my revolver

Oct 15, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawntp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly - the Sony 7506 is pretty good at all of the above given the price - I was just wondering what if anything would be a good upgrade path knowing I am without amplification. I saw the 271s is a favorite but it needs an amp and the Beyer 250-80 but I am not sure if that is going to be an all around improvement or not.

The best studio tools for me are, Ultrasone PRO/Poline 650, Or MB Quarts QP 250/240, Pioneer monitor 10.

Oct 15, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 35
Sennheiser 280 Pro.

Closed (great isolation in deed), not colored (natural-like sound, ideal for mixing and recording), ampage is not necessary, quite solid. I use them for my own mixing and recording purposes..

They are a pair of true studio cans.. Recommended.

Oct 15, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 35
Hmm - ive used the Senn 280's and detested almost everything about them.

I didnt think they were very good especially when trying to use the headphones for mic placement. Also super cheap construction - ive seen more pairs with a cracked headband than without. I much preferred the 7506 to the 280 for tracking at least - while not perfect they seem to do a good job at not misrepresenting when mic spotting/tracking. For music I guess its all preference.

If I get a chance to check out the DT250's I will - they seem like the only option for a clear-cut un-amped upgrade.

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 35
48's..They are reference studio headphones with a flat response. These were probably made for sound engineers as the sound is total neutral, analyitical and unforgiving. Im sure the others mentioned have some color/house sound added to them.

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #12 of 35
Sounds like you have what you need, and you want different, flavor? I bought Equation Audio RP-21 for many of the same tasks plus DJing, broadcasting, mixing. Comparing the two, RP-21 has less sizzle/sparkle, more thump and not quite as comfortable. I do prefer RP-21 and I use both every week along with an assortment of AKG 240 models that don't do unamped so well. But they are more comfortable to me. Maybe you want new cans for pleasure and keep the Sonys as a workhorse.

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #14 of 35
Audio Technica ATH-A900?

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #15 of 35
Denons AH-D1000 (or AH-D2000)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back