What's the best closed headphone under $100 that fits what I need\want?
Oct 12, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #31 of 67
Great points. AnyOtherRay definitely go check out your local Best Buy, tech stores, and friends, even though it's nearly impossible to choose from just those, because of the selection online...

I've always wanted a pair of DT770s, but never had the audio budget for it :p. What's the impedance on those? DT770s come in 32 ohm, 80 ohm, and 200 ohm. If it's 32 ohm, I think you could do better buying a new pair, but of course, it's up to you. 32 ohm DT770s are currently $175 on Amazon, so your choice. If their anymore, of course, he'll need an amp. Did some Massdrop looking, and in the off chance that it's a 250 ohm pair, they'll need a great amp. Massdrop currently has a Massdrop exclusive DAC/AMP combo at 33% off ($100 with discount), which barely comes close to the 4.01 Vrms needed, at only 2.9.
You should recommend what the creator of the topic wants, he is not audiophile, he does not want anything that goes beyond the 100 dollars, as I said the M40X is light, closed, easy to drive, active as it is not call SR950 that has that iron on the top, can have portable use, is neutral as he asked and is in the price range, I do not think he'll find things better in this price range, but of course he decides.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #32 of 67
You should recommend what the creator of the topic wants, he is not audiophile, he does not want anything that goes beyond the 100 dollars, as I said the M40X is light, closed, easy to drive, active as it is not call SR950 that has that iron on the top, can have portable use, is neutral as he asked and is in the price range, I do not think he'll find things better in this price range, but of course he decides.

I've pointed out some other portable headphones, but he doesn't plan to move them from his house. Therefore, I think the SR950s would still be a great choice. Half the price, pretty comfortable, closed, and they sound great. Many reviews have pointed out that the M40x doesn't have a lot of bass, where the SR950s do. I had mine for around 7 months, until they broke on warranty, so I got a new pair of Z35s. Build quality isn't bad, it was just my use that broke them so quick, so don't go calling them cheaply built.

SR950s have 32 impedance, opposed to 35. Not much of a difference, but their not hard to drive either.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #33 of 67
If you search eBay for DT 770 there's lots of examples. I saw a 16ohm on there too. Yea that is something to keep in mind if you did that the 250ohm would probably need an amp or be too difficult to drive. 32 would be okay and 80 is probably still okay. Anyways, it's another thought. I had several good years with Beyerdynamic.

A pretty good thought too. @AnyOtherRay , do you know what your motherboard is? Like, is your pc custom built, laptop, or just prebuilt? Would be helpful in knowing how much power it outputs, just in case you decide to go with 80 ohms.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #34 of 67
A pretty good thought too. @AnyOtherRay , do you know what your motherboard is? Like, is your pc custom built, laptop, or just prebuilt? Would be helpful in knowing how much power it outputs, just in case you decide to go with 80 ohms.
People who ask for recommendations from neutral headphones usually know that they do not have too low, and have people who prefer that, so remember, your taste is different from mine which in turn is different from @AnyOtherRay.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #35 of 67
People who ask for recommendations from neutral headphones usually know that they do not have too low, and have people who prefer that, so remember, your taste is different from mine which in turn is different from @AnyOtherRay.

True, and while he did ask for neutral headphones, but with some extra soundstage and bass, which is where I feel the SR950s shine. Their a great price, where you get solid sound but your not spending too much on headphones. My headphone budget has never even been able to go up to $100, and I have around the same use @AnyOtherRay . Which, led me to find the SR950s, which have been the love of my life since. I think I would have literally cried on the day they broke if there was no repair, because I didn't know I had warranty. With that said, I'm pretty bias, but I seriously can't recommend anything else. All of my audiophile friends have let me have a listen on their cans, but you seriously can't go wrong with SR950s. Have you gotten the chance to hear them?

Anyway, in the end, it is his choice. But, he came here to hear (pun not intended) what others thought. So, it's kinda our job to recommend him headphones that we've used before, and feel are good for his needs. @AnyOtherRay let us know what you think about all of our recommendations. I see you viewing the thread right now ;P.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #36 of 67
i just listened to an HD569 at my local Best Buy. It is essentially a closed back HD558. I was pretty impressed with it. Very comfortable, more than the HD471. More expansive sounding than 471. Definitely check it out.
Seems cool, is also $50 over budget.
Not exactly... quick soldering job can get you up and ready to go. There's tutorials on YouTube, if you need it.
Hence me saying they'd be 'practically dead', I'm certain there's ways to do that, but I'd really rather not.
Want a headphone for up to 100 dollars? Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, lightweight, portable, detachable cable, easy to drive and with a neutral signature as you want, problem solved..... NEXT!
1669_2552_13950491.png
I know about them, but I saw a review calling them uncomfortable out of box from someone who heavily values comfort, and replacing the pads would go over budget.
It also bears mentioning that if at all possible, you should try to listen before you buy, because the preferences you read can steer you in one direction, and it could turn out you have a different preference and end up with something not as satisfying as it could have been. Barring that I think most places you buy from, if you don't like it you can return it and try #2 on the list.
I'm aware that reviews can do that, but sadly I can't try any in person.
I will soon-ish be building a computer, sometime after which buying a headphone. I do not yet know completely which motherboard I'll use, since it'll depend on prices at the time I buy it.
True, and while he did ask for neutral headphones, but with some extra soundstage and bass, which is where I feel the SR950s shine.
let us know what you think about all of our recommendations. I see you viewing the thread right now ;P.
I was viewing the thread right now because I was gonna let you know what I think, because I have nothing better to do in my life right now. Any who, yes I did indeed ask for some extra bass and soundstage for some extra emphasis on gaming, but only some extra. Too much of either and I feel it'll stray too much from what I want.(moreso too much bass, I don't mind too much soundstage as much) Also, I already said I considered the SR950, but that I decided I wanted something different.

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #37 of 67
Seems cool, is also $50 over budget.

Here is a bit of a stretch. Not used but how about refurbished. Check amazon for the HD598CS and HD569. I’ve seen a 598CS refurbished for $99. Once and while you’ll see this type of deal and maybe just maybe on BlackFriday/BoxingDay you may see a sale. Lowest they’ll go new is $99.

The 471 is still a good choice, and may have even better bass quality. The 598/569 will feel more luxurious and comfortable though.

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #38 of 67
Here is a bit of a stretch. Not used but how about refurbished. Check amazon for the HD598CS and HD569. I’ve seen a 598CS refurbished for $99. Once and while you’ll see this type of deal and maybe just maybe on BlackFriday/BoxingDay you may see a sale. Lowest they’ll go new is $99.

The 471 is still a good choice, and may have even better bass quality. The 598/569 will feel more luxurious and comfortable though.
I don't think I'll be buying whatever headphone on black Friday, and I'd also rather not buy refurbished, but maybe.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #39 of 67
Funny, I've never seen anyone say that the M40X is uncomfortable, but if that's your concern then add a little more money and replace the ear cushions with memory cushions, plus a problem solved ... NEXT!

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #40 of 67
I'm a big fan of the Status Audio CB-1s. VERY comfortable with big soft pads (moreso than either AT or Sony), better cable options than either, and a pleasantly neutral/warm signature that I prefer to either the AT or Sony. Also it frequently goes on sale at massdrop or amazon for below its usual $80 asking price.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #41 of 67
I'm a big fan of the Status Audio CB-1s. VERY comfortable with big soft pads (moreso than either AT or Sony), better cable options than either, and a pleasantly neutral/warm signature that I prefer to either the AT or Sony. Also it frequently goes on sale at massdrop or amazon for below its usual $80 asking price.
But it is not for portable use, the M40X is the best choice.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #42 of 67
But it is not for portable use, the M40X is the best choice.
The m40x and cb-1 are almost identical when it comes to the basic form factor. And the impedance differential is not that wide. My cb-1s ran fine off my phone. The big accessory everyone gets for it is the flat phone cable with mic. The m40x only has the supplied cables for options.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #43 of 67
The m40x and cb-1 are almost identical when it comes to the basic form factor. And the impedance differential is not that wide. My cb-1s ran fine off my phone. The big accessory everyone gets for it is the flat phone cable with mic. The m40x only has the supplied cables for options.
But the earpads are giants, it would not be a good option to wear it on the street if it does not want to draw attention.

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #44 of 67
But the earpads are giants, it would not be a good option to wear it on the street if it does not want to draw attention.

It’s not the MOST portable headphones but to say that the pads disqualify it is a bit odd.

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #45 of 67
I still say when it come to the OPs stated preferences 1) comfort 2) build 3) sound .....closed back, below $100, neutral sounding, with good soundstage....
NVX SPT is better than what all y'all are arguing over...Samson, Cb1, etc all fall short of the glory of comfort that the NVX are. Build is good for the price, seems to hold up well and parts most likely to break (headband) are readily available....and it's hard to argue with the sound, they don't do anything big or bold, but they also don't fall down anywhere...it's a headphone that plays well with most genres, plus movies and games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back