what's the best cd-player available?
Jun 12, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by zle83
Who uses portable cd players. I mean seriously!

I do. One AA battery for uncompressed music and customizable eq, with no constant battery recharging. Sweet spot imo.

Jun 12, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by zle83
Who uses portable cd players. I mean seriously!

I do...and mine is positively amazing. Unfortunately, since it was of a very limited production run, is 17 years old, and I've done a variety of modifications on it, it's also just about as unavailable as it gets! I posted pictures of it in that post your portable rig thread.

Jun 12, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #33 of 47
I've already looked for d-465 on ebay but no luck either
ps: the d-777/900/905 is TOO sexy
icon10.gif

Jun 12, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #34 of 47
They will surface, give them time. But if the price is too steep for you, pick up the D-465. The D465 is not that rare in comparison to the 777 and 900.

Jun 19, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #36 of 47
Since we are in the portable audio forum I assume you are looking for the best portable CD player. Duncan wrote a comprehensive review on the vintage Sony Disc players. The best PCDP based on what I've researched is the Denon DCP-150. It's hard to find and expensive. Your money would probably be better spent buying a new full size CD player, but if you really want a good portable go old school.

Jun 19, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #37 of 47
I've got the D-NE920 and it has excellent sound quality out of the line out but the volume can't be adjusted which may be an issue if you're not using an amp. This along with its stellar battery life (its gumstick alone will wipe the floor with any cd player or dap-playing redbooks!), lightweight, classy design and ease of use is why I recommend it.

I haven't been near any of the ancient pcdp's I so often see here such as the DCP-150 but they're hardly what I consider a 'portable' cd player, regardless of how high fidelity they may be. These old players can be more expensive as well and may not be in the best condition.

It really depends on what you're going to be doing. If mobility is an issue then I really implore you to go modern-the battery life, bulk and skip protection will be superior to past solutions. If you intend to use at home where moving around is not a concern, then perhaps an oldie will be more suitable because of (supposed) better sound quality.

Jun 19, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #38 of 47
Harry,

Sony D-777 is a nice discman but to me not as detailed as the D-E900. The D-777 is more liquid and smoother sounding than the D-E900. It also sounds darker with more bass quantity. OTOH, the D-E900 has better sense of air, seperation, and clarity. The 900 also offer more details and has better line out. To my ears, the D-E900 has an upper hand due to its ability to function well with many of my low impedance headphones, L3000 included. The D-777 also put too much emphasis on the bass region for my taste and often sound too upfront for my taste.

Jun 20, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle
what's the difference between the 777 and the 900?
thanks

D-777 came out a few years before D-E900. They are essentially the same model with minor differences in the D-E900. See pictures here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=d-777

Jun 20, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

D-777 came out a few years before D-E900. They are essentially the same model with minor differences in the D-E900. See pictures here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=d-777

Yes, the D-777 was 2 years ahead of the D-E900. Both were priced at almost 300 dollars. They also sound very different to my ears though.

Jun 20, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #42 of 47
I bought a Sony D11 ($15), a Philips AZ6831 ($15) and a Sony D465 ($30), all three second hand. So I'm soon about to find out how these things sound compared to my Aiwa PCDP (which did cost more at its retailprice then the 3 oldschool PCDP's I bought). I'll check batterylife, SQ, weight, etc. just to get my portable rig complete and as perfect as possible for my needs
tongue.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #44 of 47
I know this may shock you, but I bought a Bose PM-1 about a year ago. I find it is one of the best CD players I've ever bought. I am not unaware of some serious anti-Bose bias out there, but, it is a fine unit, IMO.

It drives my AKG501k headphones well - almost no other unit can do so. The bass is deep and rich, but not overblown.

The only caveat is the ESP, which, while defeatable, defaults to "on" each time you hit play.

Also, no line out, but the sound quality rivals my headphone amp with most of my headphones.

Well built, far beyond other modern units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back