What's the best amp for HD800
Aug 30, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #481 of 680
JaZZ...
wink.gif

Is it worth to upgrade the headphone cable please? I've found Silver Dragon V3 online prices... They're near £300
wink.gif
Will I notice difference pls?

Hi Pogart. Yes Cables make a difference. Read my earlier post exchange with Currawong. He has described on cables and alo mentioned certain Brands. However, it is all upto you whether you want to upgrade or not. But so far those with high end gear prefer upgraded cables.
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #482 of 680
I have spent hours looking over these posts and have gathered some good information. Looking to pick up HD 800 in the next few weeks and I don't think my old (pun intended) Antique Sound Labs MG Head Mk II, while great with my HD 600s over the years, will cut it with the HD 800. One thing that I would like, however, in an amp, is to have more than one source input connection. As in, I want to connect a CD player, but I would also like to hook up my Gramofon (you'll probably be horrified by this). Are there recommended HD 800 amps that have two source inputs? I guess I'm thinking I will be too lazy to disconnect and reconnect. Or will my laziness just cut out way too many options? I'm looking to spend in the neighborhood of $500 to $750 for hopefully an amp/DAC combo.

Thanks much. This forum is great.

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #483 of 680
Thanks guys :wink:
I like SheTzu the Silver Dragon because I think the price making me believe that the cable is well worth its price... But I must agree with JaZZ.., spending that much money to realised that I might not hear the difference...
Well :wink: hahahaaaa :wink:
And the Silver Dragon might be not so good choice for HD800 as well :wink:
I've got lot of time yet before I change my HD650 but probably I'll be more after HD800s? As far as I remember they're a bit changed, the bass is more obvious compared to HD800 so the HD800s might be less bright and cold too?
I'll do my research yet whrn I'm ready to buy them,though :wink:
I'll have to choose warmer, darker more bass option to match it to the rock music rather. I know yhe HD800 are very good,though :wink:
Thanks for your answers :wink:

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #484 of 680
If you equalize anyway, you can save a few bucks: Get the HD 800! The cable replacement is an option you can think about later, once you find you need a further sonic refinement.

Aug 30, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #485 of 680
If you equalize anyway, you can save a few bucks: Get the HD 800! The cable replacement is an option you can think about later, once you find you need a further sonic refinement.

Thanks...
You're right,upgrading cable is the last thing I need if ever :wink:
I've read some not so positive comments of HD800s so I think I'll be more after HD800 anyway :wink: Thanks :wink:

Aug 30, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #486 of 680

I'm not sure if I really understand you and if you understand what I'm trying to say. What has the turntable to do with the topic? The tube amp has been brought up by Shetzu, but in fact it's just about the dispensability of a headphone amp with the Chord DACs (I'm not against tube amps as opposed to solid-state amps, although meanwhile I prefer the latter). It's true, there are good and bad recordings. Is that a plausible reason for chosing a forgiving, low-resolution headphone and spending money for a useless device if there are better alternatives?

I would rather say it's about musical enjoyment – and I try to steer people away from short-term fun. But maybe it's a route some have to go nonetheless until they discover the beauty of unvarnished sound with preserved subtleties. However, I believe that most people are sensitive enough to rate the lifelikeness and inner detail of a sound as pure and uncolored as possible (not least by means of equalizing) higher than a «fun» sound achieved by euphonic distortion. I also think many headphones can be made to «genre masters» that way. BTW, none of the people criticizing this approach has ever (seriously) tried the logical alternative: equalizing via equalizers instead of amps.

Hard to tell if you'll notice a difference. Some people don't, some people do. For me the sound of a cable, particularly headphone cable, is an essential component in a system, and the Silver Dragon is one I've learnt to appreciate: very clear and transparent. I'm not sure if it is a good match for an unmodified HD 800, though, it may make it sound colder than with the stock cable, which isn't bad at all itself and sounds a bit more organic, although slightly sharp. I have used a Silver Dragon with my modified pair till last year, when I found the original cable to be a better match nonetheless (possibly due to the Hugo). Meanwhile I use a Black Dragon and like it.

I used the TT as an example that there are other sources out there other than a dac and that telling people not to use an amp in the "what's the best amp for the hd800" thread does not make a whole lot of sense, at least to me. The chrord dacs are a bit more unique than other dacs in that regard though so you do have a point.

I have equalized quite a bit and always found some give and take.

If you enjoy listening to bad recordings then yes absolutely that is a great reason for choosing a forgiving, low resolution headphone if it saves you a significant amount of money. Some people like bad recordings over audiophile recordings. Why spend a ton of money on a high end rig when you can get the same results for allot less with a mid level rig? I can tell you right now my Lcd-X is not sticking around because after listening to allot of hiphop, dnb and house there just isn't much out there that warrants what subtle changes I get from going to a high end rig from a mid level rig.

There's a few gem songs out there and I have allot of unique records in those genres but nothing really scales the way that classic rock and jazz that I like as well. Electronic and rap was the Lcd-X role in my stable so off she will go to some other bass head. I will get my electronic/hiphop fix with my adam's. 

I might go with the sr-009, lcd-4 or Utopia but one of them has to come down in price to around $2900 to add as a supplement can for my hd800(rock) or 007mk1(jazz). I'm also looking at the sony mdr-cd3000 and stax 4070 as those 2 headphones do not seem to be affected so bad by inflation ie. $10k for an r10 now.

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #487 of 680
  I used the TT as an example that there are other sources out there other than a dac and that telling people not to use an amp in the "what's the best amp for the hd800" thread does not make a whole lot of sense, at least to me. The chrord dacs are a bit more unique than other dacs in that regard though so you do have a point.

Isn't that a contradiction in itself? You're right: I have a point. My advice to not use a headphone amp with the Chord DACs (and only those! – because the posters I'm replying were explicitly referring to those) indeed makes sense. I hope you'll occupy yourself a bit more in-depth with Rob Watts' explanations as to why it is so (when you already seem to have missed the point in my own explanations to the matter).

I might go with the sr-009, lcd-4 or Utopia but one of them has to come down in price to around $2900 to add as a supplement can for my hd800(rock) or 007mk1(jazz). I'm also looking at the sony mdr-cd3000 and stax 4070 as those 2 headphones do not seem to be affected so bad by inflation ie. $10k for an r10 now.

In contrast to you I use all my headphones for all genres equally. That's the merit of equalization, the way I implement it. Not just a bit, but it's a serious occupation. Every new component requires some adjusting – currently the Black Dragon cable for the HD 800 (but I'm already about there where I want to be). So in fact I wouldn't need three or four main headphones, but it's a hobby, and the characteristics are still different enough despite almost identical tonal balance.

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #488 of 680
In contrast to you I use all my headphones for all genres equally. That's the merit of equalization, the way I implement it. Not just a bit, but it's a serious occupation. Every new component requires some adjusting – currently the Black Dragon cable for the HD 800 (but I'm already about there where I want to be). So in fact I wouldn't need three or four main headphones, but it's a hobby, and the characteristics are still different enough despite almost identical tonal balance.

JaZZ, guys...
Have you spending your money for hi-res audio albums please?
You do care much of SQ so that's why I couldn't stop myself to ask you this question pls?
I'm registered with HD Tracks.com because I were so after good quality albums... I've bought Iron Maiden 24bit. Obviously I can't tell yet if I can hear difference in SQ because I've got no DAC yet :wink:
After this purchase I've discovered some reviews against hi-res files, and I've learnt all the matter of our hearing capabilities etc, so I'm not after to hear again the whole story over here, but to hear from you,like friend to friend,if it's worth to get hi-res albums for example from HD Tracks.com please? Do you appreciate the higher recoring quality while compared to original CDs pls?
I'm aware of that my question is about very personal feelings and even if you're able to tell the difference reg SQ-I might not at all... :wink:

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #489 of 680
  I don't think my old (pun intended) Antique Sound Labs MG Head Mk II, while great with my HD 600s over the years, will cut it with the HD 800.

You should give it a serious listen. Your old MG head is still a good amp in my experience. 

Aug 31, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #491 of 680
JaZZ, guys...
You do care much of SQ so that's why I couldn't stop myself to ask you this question pls?
I'm registered with HD Tracks.com because I were so after good quality albums... I've bought Iron Maiden 24bit. Obviously I can't tell yet if I can hear difference in SQ because I've got no DAC yet
wink.gif

After this purchase I've discovered some reviews against hi-res files, and I've learnt all the matter of our hearing capabilities etc, so I'm not after to hear again the whole story over here, but to hear from you,like friend to friend,if it's worth to get hi-res albums for example from HD Tracks.com please? Do you appreciate the higher recoring quality while compared to original CDs pls?
I'm aware of that my question is about very personal feelings and even if you're able to tell the difference reg SQ-I might not at all...
wink.gif

Hi Pogart

Yes, that's indeed a personal thing. The justification of everything higher than 16 bit/44.1 kHz is just as disputed as cable sound. I for one do hear a benefit from hi-res in the form of higher realism and slightly more detail, but with the Chord DACs (particularly DAVE) even 44.1 kHz recordings sound so good that I don't really need higher sampling rates. Moreover the equalizer in my FiiO X5 II only works with sampling rates up to 48 kHz, and a flat frequency response is clearly more important to me and my ears. Well, I could use my computer as source, but that would be against my personal requirements on listening comfort (at least for now).

Aug 31, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #492 of 680
Recently took delivery of the Eddie current bw2. Very good pairing with hd800's. Extremely tube like sound and incredibly smooth amplifier. Really impresses me is the quality of the bass of the hd800's. My pair has the cork & resonator mod. I'd say I prefer the bw2 over my Glenn otl with the 800's. I still prefer the otl with the 650's though

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #493 of 680
Hi Pogart

Yes, that's indeed a personal thing. The justification of everything higher than 16 bit/44.1 kHz is just as disputed as cable sound. I for one do hear a benefit from hi-res in the form of higher realism and slightly more detail, but with the Chord DACs (particularly DAVE) even 44.1 kHz recordings sound so good that I don't really need higher sampling rates. Moreover the equalizer in my FiiO X5 II only works with sampling rates up to 48 kHz, and a flat frequency response is clearly more important to me and my ears. Well, I could use my computer as source, but that would be against my personal requirements on listening comfort (at least for now).

This is what I were after :wink:
A honest answer.
Thank you JaZZ :wink:

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #494 of 680
JaZZ, guys...
I'm registered with HD Tracks.com because I were so after good quality albums... I've bought Iron Maiden 24bit. Obviously I can't tell yet if I can hear difference in SQ because I've got no DAC yet
wink.gif

I'm aware of that my question is about very personal feelings and even if you're able to tell the difference reg SQ-I might not at all...
wink.gif

Your Chord Hugo is a DAc & amp itself. So you donot need to buy any more extra DAC

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #495 of 680
  Your Chord Hugo is a DAc & amp itself. So you donot need to buy any more extra DAC

It looks like he doesn't have his Hugo yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back