What's the best amp for HD800
Mar 14, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #376 of 680
I understand the Arcam irDac 2 is going to be out with Sabre Chips. The Previous model has Burr Brown Chip and seems to be better for the HD800. Sound wise & matching wise. I dont have requirement for Multi linking so I guess the first model suits the requirement. What are the interconnect cables you use. Could you provide some details on that. Thanks.:D

Right right. It is the Sabre chip and you really can't go wrong with either the burr brown 1796 PCM or sabre DAC chip. Both are very good quality. Now I know you don't feel the need to get the irDAC 2 but I would consider it greatly because the allowance of being able to have more than one amp source connected to it simultaneously is really really convienant. I kinda wish I had that functionality cause I love the DAC with in ARCAM and it would be fun to use another amp instead of disconnecting the RCA lead and switching over manually. It's annoying. Trust me. You'll also consider wanting another amp and experiment other than the Burson. This love for audio of ours really makes us go all out. Lol. Anyhow. If I can give my sincere opinion the Burson soloist with the punchy and revealing ARCAM with those HD 800's is really one winning synergy. It's quite clinical but if you feed this rig better than good music sources you'll have the time of your life. I've had this sound chain for 2 years now and I have no desire to swap anything out. I still can't believe both the Burson SL and the irDAC are under $1000 each. That blows my mind. In this instance you get more than what you pay for. :)

As for interconnects. Don't go too crazy. No need to be buying $1000 dollar cables. It's excessive. For a great RCA lead and quality build. Check out the King Cobra by audioquest. Uses perfect surface copper. No silver.
Also, I did some extreme things cause the power in my house is really dirty, so when or if you look at my inventory page you don't have to do what I did....hopefully.
However, interconnects are really based around assurances of signal strength and the pathway there of. Your trying to ensure that you are getting the most out of your gear, so it's really a matter of taste in cable geometries and metallurgy combinations. Some say the HD 800's are allergic to silver. I do not find this to be true. I have a lovely 16 individual headphone cable that uses 8 copper and 8 silver strands. No problem. Doesn't warrant brightness. That's ridiculous. Anyway. Interconnects are a bit if a tricky thing cause it really just comes down to how much pride you wanna throw into your rig.
In my experience. Cables do matter. Many feel otherwise, but principals such as dielectric resonance do exist. If you have a cable that is poorly built noise smearing can happen and suck the life out of your music.
It's another area of research that is actually very interesting. Lots of great companies again. Check out stuff from audioquest, alo audio, nordöst, double helix, infinite cables, cardas, moon audio and Pangea for AC power cords. People rave about toxic cables on here and make some pretty serious claims, but I feel they are overpriced.

Hope I've been some help. Also, just use a decent blu ray player as your cd transport. You can even get some great blu ray audio discs that sound unbelievable. No need to blow serious money of a CD player. It's ridiculous.

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #377 of 680
Right right. It is the Sabre chip and you really can't go wrong with either the burr brown 1796 PCM or sabre DAC chip. Both are very good quality. Now I know you don't feel the need to get the irDAC 2 but I would consider it greatly because the allowance of being able to have more than one amp source connected to it simultaneously is really really convienant. I kinda wish I had that functionality cause I love the DAC with in ARCAM and it would be fun to use another amp instead of disconnecting the RCA lead and switching over manually. It's annoying. Trust me. You'll also consider wanting another amp and experiment other than the Burson. This love for audio of ours really makes us go all out. Lol. Anyhow. If I can give my sincere opinion the Burson soloist with the punchy and revealing ARCAM with those HD 800's is really one winning synergy. It's quite clinical but if you feed this rig better than good music sources you'll have the time of your life. I've had this sound chain for 2 years now and I have no desire to swap anything out. I still can't believe both the Burson SL and the irDAC are under $1000 each. That blows my mind. In this instance you get more than what you pay for.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for interconnects. Don't go too crazy. No need to be buying $1000 dollar cables. It's excessive. For a great RCA lead and quality build. Check out the King Cobra by audioquest. Uses perfect surface copper. No silver.
Also, I did some extreme things cause the power in my house is really dirty, so when or if you look at my inventory page you don't have to do what I did....hopefully.
However, interconnects are really based around assurances of signal strength and the pathway there of. Your trying to ensure that you are getting the most out of your gear, so it's really a matter of taste in cable geometries and metallurgy combinations. Some say the HD 800's are allergic to silver. I do not find this to be true. I have a lovely 16 individual headphone cable that uses 8 copper and 8 silver strands. No problem. Doesn't warrant brightness. That's ridiculous. Anyway. Interconnects are a bit if a tricky thing cause it really just comes down to how much pride you wanna throw into your rig.
In my experience. Cables do matter. Many feel otherwise, but principals such as dielectric resonance do exist. If you have a cable that is poorly built noise smearing can happen and suck the life out of your music.
It's another area of research that is actually very interesting. Lots of great companies again. Check out stuff from audioquest, alo audio, nordöst, double helix, infinite cables, cardas, moon audio and Pangea for AC power cords. People rave about toxic cables on here and make some pretty serious claims, but I feel they are overpriced.

Hope I've been some help. Also, just use a decent blu ray player as your cd transport. You can even get some great blu ray audio discs that sound unbelievable. No need to blow serious money of a CD player. It's ridiculous.

HI. Though I am more inclined  towards the Arcam iRDAC. I like the Burr Brown chips and its match with the HD800. I have heard it at a friends place and it sounds awesome. Getting iRdac 2  may be in par but somehow it is not warm .
biggrin.gif
 Arcam like you said will be a great match with the Burson Soloist SL Amp.

However, I am also thinking of just buying the Mojo for the Hd and use it for a year a so and then look into the Combo above. Many have had positive vibes with mojo & Hd. This would save me some cost after just going heavy on the HD.

For the interconnect I have the audioquest RCA tower. I will check if I can get the KIng Cobra. I am going to check few Brands for cables. I agree for the Blu Ray. Lets see how goes. Thanks for all your great help 
beerchug.gif

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #378 of 680
HI. Though I am more inclined  towards the Arcam iRDAC. I like the Burr Brown chips and its match with the HD800. I have heard it at a friends place and it sounds awesome. Getting iRdac 2  may be in par but somehow it is not warm .:D  Arcam like you said will be a great match with the Burson Soloist SL Amp.

However, I am also thinking of just buying the Mojo for the Hd and use it for a year a so and then look into the Combo above. Many have had positive vibes with mojo & Hd. This would save me some cost after just going heavy on the HD.

For the interconnect I have the audioquest RCA tower. I will check if I can get the KIng Cobra. I am going to check few Brands for cables. I agree for the Blu Ray. Lets see how goes. Thanks for all your great help :beerchug:  

Awesome! You've got so much buying power now. The fact that you got to try a few things out at your friends place and you likes what you heard puts you in a good position.
Let me know how it goes and remember you are breaking in your DAC-AMP and HEAPHONES all at once so be patient for the breaki in period to end. Also, important to read the Burson's SL owners manual. It recommends you allow 30 minutes of warm up time before playing/running the amp. I know...strange right? Especially being a solid state and not a tube amp, but I VERY much agree with the warm up time. It makes a difference. The warmer the amp the better.
The Highs are far smoother along with the treble as well. Also note that the Burson doesn't run hot! It's very well designed and has an excellent heat sink chassis.
I assure you. With the Burson's FET transistor design and shiort circuitry pathway the amp will last ya years and years. Same with everything else. Top notch builds. :)

Mar 16, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #379 of 680
I mentioned it some time ago and it seemed to take off with a few headfiers that if your looking for IC's go with proaudiola. Custom mogami and they have a contract with mogami to build all their cables at cost. Very inexpensive and it is most likely what the artist used when they made their recording.

Xlr wise if their is a length that works for you I guess just go with regular mogami as they use neutrik connectors but there is still the harness/loom option which is nice. Rca hands down go with proaudiola as they use neutrik and mogami does not.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #380 of 680
Awesome! You've got so much buying power now. The fact that you got to try a few things out at your friends place and you likes what you heard puts you in a good position.
Let me know how it goes and remember you are breaking in your DAC-AMP and HEAPHONES all at once so be patient for the breaki in period to end. Also, important to read the Burson's SL owners manual. It recommends you allow 30 minutes of warm up time before playing/running the amp. I know...strange right? Especially being a solid state and not a tube amp, but I VERY much agree with the warm up time. It makes a difference. The warmer the amp the better.
The Highs are far smoother along with the treble as well. Also note that the Burson doesn't run hot! It's very well designed and has an excellent heat sink chassis.
I assure you. With the Burson's FET transistor design and shiort circuitry pathway the amp will last ya years and years. Same with everything else. Top notch builds.
smily_headphones1.gif

I love your encouragement. It makes me feel as if I am going to taste a delicacy dish. Haha. Yes I agree with what you have said. Thanks again for your inputs helped me a lot.
beyersmile.png

May 11, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #383 of 680
I personally have my eye on a arcam dac r or ir and burson soloist sl or sl2.

Buddy
I personally have my eye on a arcam dac r or ir and burson soloist sl or sl2.

Buddy. I have both the irDAC and Soloist SL to pair specifically for my HD 800's.
This is an amazing synergy of quality gear. It's always of course very dependent on what your audio tastes are, but of you like dead accurate, revealing and neutral sound with the tightest bass imaginable this is the set up for you. I have had this synergy for nearly 2 years now and have absolutely no plans on selling any part of the system pairing. I absolutely love it and if you decide on grabbing the ARCAM and the Soloist (which is a fantastic steal for the $$ by the way) I don't ever believe you'd regret it if your tastes are neutral and extremely analytical. It really is a clinical set up, so ****ty recordings don't stand a chance just so you know.
Anyhow. Good luck with your purchases. Very exciting stuff. :)

May 16, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #384 of 680
I tried something interesting last week with the HD800.
First to clarify , my main rig is Speaker based for some years (Boulder monos , Verdier platine for analog, Audio Aero Prestige Signature Edt. for pre and digital , B&W 800N for speakers and I only use Headphones for very late night listening at home or in hotel rooms while abroad ) so my perception for Headphone gear might be a little bit off track than most .
I was using a firstwatt f3 for the HD800 happily (I heard gsx 2, moon 430 , zana deux se , hdvd800 and Burson conductor with the 800's and found the F3 better than those in almost all areas )
Last week I decided to try the Hd800 directly out of the pre outs of my Audio aero Sacd (setup as pictured)
Wow! Just wow! The headstage is even bigger , instrument seperation is crazy good ; huge and precise bass just add any superlatives.

My suggestion is , if you have a capable and high voltage output pre (Audio aero is 7V+ at 00db if I am not mistaken) give a shot to the straight output from it , you might be suprised .

f09d703fbd0e38927a162a7b163bc1b0.jpg
86836a2e1ef2d9193729dcd20a947588.jpg

SM-G925F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #388 of 680
If you like tubes amps, the Leben C300XS it's incredible.

+1 for Leben
........................CS600 with KT120 tubes in my case - very nice HD800 sound above everything I tried with HD800!

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #389 of 680
Recently auditioned the ECP Audio Copenhagen and it is definitely the best amp for the HD800 Classic. Just pure musical enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back