What's the best amp for HD800
Oct 22, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #166 of 680
Speaking of AudioGD... how do you guys think my AudioGD 10.33 would sound with the HD800?
Specs:
1.15W@300ohm Balanced (the way I'd go)
Dual Wolfson 8741 Chips

I'm 'assuming' the HD800 would play well with the WM chips due to their warmer sound signature. 1.15W seems like plenty as well, but I'm no stranger to the finicky nature of the HD800. Any input would be great!

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #167 of 680
Hello fellow Head-Fiers,

Having owned and listened to HD800 for almost two months, I'm starting to think of upgrading my current audio chain of Fiio E17 and iFi ICAN. It's kind of embarrassed but I had to say I had saw many that laughed off about this setup of mine when I sounded :xf_eek:

I'm currently looking at the Schiit Modi as an DAC upgrade. But I'm hesitating between the Vali and Magni for the Amplifier upgrade. I've read great reviews about how amazing is the pairing between the Vali and Magni for the price value. Personally I had auditioned both the Vali and Magni but frankly they both sounds almost alike given the short listening time that I had in store.

I would appreciate if someone could actually shine some light before I justified with the purchase. I'm currently thinking the Vali and Modi combo. From where I am living (Malaysia), the total cost of ownership is around US 370 which is kind of expensive when you consider the jacked up price from the retail.

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #168 of 680
Hello fellow Head-Fiers,

Having owned and listened to HD800 for almost two months, I'm starting to think of upgrading my current audio chain of Fiio E17 and iFi ICAN. It's kind of embarrassed but I had to say I had saw many that laughed off about this setup of mine when I sounded
redface.gif

I'm currently looking at the Schiit Modi as an DAC upgrade. But I'm hesitating between the Vali and Magni for the Amplifier upgrade. I've read great reviews about how amazing is the pairing between the Vali and Magni for the price value. Personally I had auditioned both the Vali and Magni but frankly they both sounds almost alike given the short listening time that I had in store.

I would appreciate if someone could actually shine some light before I justified with the purchase. I'm currently thinking the Vali and Modi combo. From where I am living (Malaysia), the total cost of ownership is around US 370 which is kind of expensive when you consider the jacked up price from the retail.

limpeh just bought vali + modi combo for HD800, and using it now. Don't know how it would sound differently than your E17 + iCan setup, but for the price, aiyoh, not much choice also. Maybe some days later I'll look straight to balanced setup? What about you?

Nov 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #169 of 680
Hi

What would you guys recommend out of the HDVA 600, the Lehmann Black Cube Linear (or something else?) with the HD80. I'm not looking to spend any more than £1200 and don't really want to be going down the valve route. I also want the amp to be fairly compact for the desk.

Alternatively, should I use my Chord Hugo for amp duties as well as the dac? Am I missing out on anything by not adding a dedicated amp?

Thanks

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #171 of 680
  Does anyone out there have the WA6 with the HD800? How would you describe their synergy? I am seriously considering this combo.

WA6 with Senns HD800 is very good ,warm sounding but detailed good soudstage depending on tubes used  but another amp that sounds very good also with the right tubes for the money  is the  Littledot MK3 ,MK4 and  MK4SE model with 6sn7  octals with adapters for power tubes and C3G Siemens loctal as driver tubes with adapters also this is the best sound youll get out of that amp with only adapters sound is warmer  than the WA6  bass is very good . and it is cheaper than a WA6. Check out this thread start reading from the end the best we got out of this amp is towards the end .Finally it all depends on how much $ you want to spend either way you wont regret it imo and either way when youll want to upgrade lol both are easy to sell .                                            

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/8355#post_11066847

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #173 of 680
  Thanks MIKELAP.
I probably will go with the WA6 but I was wondering if it's worth upgrading to the Sophia Princess 274B mesh plate rectifier. 
Any thoughts?

Dont blame you i also have a WA2 and i never get tired of looking at it . SP mesh plate is a very nice tube wide soundstage alot better than the stock tube amp comes with .Here's links to threads  that will interest you                                                                                                                                                                                                                  http://www.head-fi.org/t/428570/woo-audio-amp-owner-unite/31635#post_11067532                                                   http://www.head-fi.org/t/694525/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-review-comparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #174 of 680
  Does anyone out there have the WA6 with the HD800? How would you describe their synergy? I am seriously considering this combo.

great pairing.  I'm using WA6 with GE NOS 6DE7 and Sophia 274b tubes with wonderful results.

Hi

What would you guys recommend out of the HDVA 600, the Lehmann Black Cube Linear (or something else?) with the HD80. I'm not looking to spend any more than £1200 and don't really want to be going down the valve route. I also want the amp to be fairly compact for the desk.

Alternatively, should I use my Chord Hugo for amp duties as well as the dac? Am I missing out on anything by not adding a dedicated amp?

Thanks

I own HDVA800 and Lehmann Audio Linear.  Give WA6 with GE NOS 6DE7 and Sophia 274b tubes a try.  Won't disappoint.  :)

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #175 of 680

Today I went to Addicted 2 Audio in Melbourne, Australia and tried the Woo WA22, Headamp GSXmk2 and Cavalli Liquid Glass with HD800s

Woo WA22 (tested fully balanced)
-great soundstage.
-nice midrange color for strings, shimmer for cymbals.
-bass was well extended but perhaps a bit slow.

GSX
-Treble / upper frequencies were surprisingly harsh.
-While separation was excellent the space between the instruments was not as apparent as the Woo.
-Pulled the bass together nicely

LG
-Faster, lighter presentation than the Woo or the GSX
-Comparatively neutral compared to the woo. 
-Analytical
-Sound was pushed forward

I also tried each amp with the LCDX. GSX was much nicer and seemed to complement the Audezes well, Woo made them too dark and muddy for my taste. 

Apologies for the wording I haven't tried many high end headphones before nor tried to describe their sound. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #176 of 680

Today I went to Addicted 2 Audio in Melbourne, Australia and tried the Woo WA22, Headamp GSXmk2 and Cavalli Liquid Glass with HD800s

Woo WA22 (tested fully balanced)
-great soundstage.
-nice midrange color for strings, shimmer for cymbals.
-bass was well extended but perhaps a bit slow.

GSX
-Treble / upper frequencies were surprisingly harsh.
-While separation was excellent the space between the instruments was not as apparent as the Woo.
-Pulled the bass together nicely

LG
-Faster, lighter presentation than the Woo or the GSX
-Comparatively neutral compared to the woo. 
-Analytical
-Sound was pushed forward

I also tried each amp with the LCDX. GSX was much nicer and seemed to complement the Audezes well, Woo made them too dark and muddy for my taste. 

Apologies for the wording I haven't tried many high end headphones before nor tried to describe their sound. 

So which one suits your preference with the HD800?

Nov 26, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #177 of 680

I enjoyed the WA22 the most to be honest and didn't really think much of the GSX pairing at all. Im currently trying to find a way to get a DNA Stratus into Australia without paying $1000 for tax + shipping but if i can't the WOO might be the best bet. Quite a few come up for sale second hand even over here.

For reference i brought about 20 tracks i knew well but the 5 i probably A-Bed the most were

Vivaldi - Summer
Phaeleh - Into the Twilight
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Jose Gonzalez - Heartbeats
M83 - Wait

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #178 of 680
If you're interested in the Stratus , why not for the Sonett 2 ?

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #179 of 680
  If you're interested in the Stratus , why not for the Sonett 2 ?

Honestly no reason in particular except I can't find anywhere near as much information on the pairing. With the Stratus all you read on here is "HD800 + Stratus - best pairing available" over and over. The Sonett 2 seems to be a bit lost around here.

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #180 of 680
yup. The Sonett 2 is far more discrete . Not TOTL, no tube rolling. Not much posts. Happy silent owners only :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back